• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God gives my life meaning

vulcanlogician

I don't believe in God, so... no.

But I very much approve of God giving your life meaning. Not in the sense that I think it's "tolerable behavior." But in the sense that I think it is reasonable for persons who believe in God to find meaning in God.

If you believe in a creator-god. It makes sense that it is possible to find meaning by contemplating such a being. I can find meaning contemplating the land outside my home or the beauty of a clear, starry night.

Of course, even a believer can find meaning in the more ordinary things too. Family, nature, personal pursuits... etc. So those things are still on the table as contenders for things to find meaning in.

But why not add God to the mix, since your beliefs permit it?

Firenze

Premium Member
God gives my life meaning and bigger purpose

My belief in God is much because of that

What about you? Do God give your life meaning?
I can’t decide whether I’m happy for you or not until you explain WHAT ‘meaning’ and ‘purpose’ you received that you couldn’t have without a god.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member

that which is love gives meaning and which all lives thrive upon.

this is why my knowing out grew any one religion. the power to love is infinite and knows no bounds. it crosses ages, cultures, species, continents, genders, sex, ethnicities, religions.

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

I don't need a god to give me meaning.

The natural universe is more than adequate.

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
I don't believe in God, so... no.

But I very much approve of God giving your life meaning. Not in the sense that I think it's "tolerable behavior." But in the sense that I think it is reasonable for persons who believe in God to find meaning in God.

If you believe in a creator-god. It makes sense that it is possible to find meaning by contemplating such a being. I can find meaning contemplating the land outside my home or the beauty of a clear, starry night.

Of course, even a believer can find meaning in the more ordinary things too. Family, nature, personal pursuits... etc. So those things are still on the table as contenders for things to find meaning in.

But why not add God to the mix, since your beliefs permit it?

Very thoughtful response. You pretty much cover my feelings on the issue as well

As for the OP, if God gives you meaning, and this meaning helps to make a positive impact on you and those around you, I think that's great!

As for me, I walk a different path. My path has meaning for me, and it helps me to be the best version of myself that I can be. That's good enough for me!

Trailblazer

Veteran Member

Who would better know our purpose than the God who created us?
I believe that my life has a purpose, and I believe I know the purpose of my life, because God has revealed that purpose in scriptures.

“The purpose of God in creating man hath been, and will ever be, to enable him to know his Creator and to attain His Presence. To this most excellent aim, this supreme objective, all the heavenly Books and the divinely-revealed and weighty Scriptures unequivocally bear witness.”
Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 70

The primary purpose of life, also expressed in the Baha'i Short Obligatory Prayer, is to know God and worship God.
The secondary purpose of life in this material world is spiritual growth, developing our spiritual qualities, so our souls will be prepared to ascend to the spiritual world when we die physically.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Family and friends give my life meaning. That and the ability to help others.
While I don't personally need God to find meaning in my life, I'm certainly not going to look down on someone who uses God to find meaning.
I respect that everyone has to go about finding meaning in their own way.

Last edited:

PureX

Veteran Member
I'm not really looking for meaning. Or even purpose. But on a good day I can be full of joy and awe just for being part of this amazing mystery of existence. As long as I can hold onto that, life is good, and I am grateful to whatever is responsible for it.

On a bad day I am just sad that we humans so persistently squander and disrespect this amazing gift of our being.