• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God Gave Us Trump: Self-proclaimed prophets and their toadies

Pogo

There are NOT 91 indictments. There were, but there are not now. Three indictments have been dropped.

Georgia judge tosses some charges against Trump and others in 2020 election case

You were factually incorrect to write there are 91 indictments. There are not.
The real problem here is that you don't know an indictment from a count (charge within the indictment.)
Trying to cover this up by claiming the number 91 is incorrect is laughable because it is your calling them indictments that is wrong.
There are and were 4 indictments that resulted in 91 different charges. 6? have been mooted due to problems in their language but may well be recharged, They are still part of the original 4 indictments.

These are matters of law and English.

Shaul

Premium Member
The real problem here is that you don't know an indictment from a count (charge within the indictment.)
Trying to cover this up by claiming the number 91 is incorrect is laughable because it is your calling them indictments that is wrong.
There are and were 4 indictments that resulted in 91 different charges. 6? have been mooted due to problems in their language but may well be recharged, They are still part of the original 4 indictments.

These are matters of law and English.
No, that isn't the real problem. The real problem is that there were not 91 counts. He had it wrong and refuses to admit it. Apparent you won't either. I don't "claim" 91 is incorrect. It is, in fact, incorrect. There ARE NOT 91. There are 88.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
Not the relevant point. The number was not 91. That was his error.
LOL, there are not 91 indictments. Or 88 indictments. If there were that many indictments, there is no way Trump would be able to campaign, as he would perpetually be in court for quite a long time. [satire] I'm pretty sure the time spent in court with all the lawyers in 88-91 indictments would not count towards any time served. It would probably be more stressful than spending that time incarcerated. :p [/satire]

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I didn't write that the number of the indictment signified anything. Trump has not been indicted for any attempted coup d'etat. That speaks for itself.
"Coup d'etat" isn't listed as a crime,
so it's feckless to make that claim
as though it exculpates him.
Do you believe that he's innocent
of an attempted coup?

Shaul

Premium Member
LOL, there are not 91 indictments. Or 88 indictments. If there were that many indictments, there is no way Trump would be able to campaign, as he would perpetually be in court for quite a long time. [satire] I'm pretty sure the time spent in court with all the lawyers in 88-91 indictments would not count towards any time served. It would probably be more stressful than spending that time incarcerated. :p [/satire]
Actually they could be called both. It is correct to say 88 charges or 88 indictments.

"Indictment: a formal written statement framed by a prosecuting authority and found by a jury (such as a grand jury) charging a person with an offense"
Definition of INDICTMENT
and its synonym is charge
Thesaurus results for INDICTMENT

"An indictment, as defined in Black's Law Dictionary, is:

An accusation in writing found and presented by a grand jury, legally convoked and sworn, to the court in which it is impaneled, charging that a person therein named has done some act, or been guilty of some omission, which by law is a public offense, punishable on indictment. A formal written accusation originating with a prosecutor and issued by a grand jury against a party charged with a crime. An indictment is referred to as a "true bill," whereas failure to indict is called a "no bill."
201. Indictment And Informations

"INDICTMENT Definition & Legal Meaning

Definition & Citations:
A written accusation of one or more persons of a crime or misdemeanor, presented to, and preferred upon oath or affirmation, by a grand jury legally convoked."
INDICTMENT Definition & Meaning - Black's Law Dictionary

Indictment has charge as a synonym
Thesaurus.com - The world's favorite online thesaurus!

Shaul

Premium Member
Actually they could be called both. It is correct to say 88 charges or 88 indictments.

"Indictment: a formal written statement framed by a prosecuting authority and found by a jury (such as a grand jury) charging a person with an offense"
Definition of INDICTMENT

An accusation in writing found and presented by a grand jury, legally convoked and sworn, to the court in which it is impaneled, charging that a person therein named has done some act, or been guilty of some omission, which by law is a public offense, punishable on indictment. A formal written accusation originating with a prosecutor and issued by a grand jury against a party charged with a crime. An indictment is referred to as a "true bill," whereas failure to indict is called a "no bill."

Definition & Citations:
A written accusation of one or more persons of a crime or misdemeanor, presented to, and preferred upon oath or affirmation, by a grand jury legally convoked."

Pogo

Definition of INDICTMENT

Definition & Citations:

Only if your command of language is insufficient to understand that colloquial synonyms are not actually appropriate substitutes for words especially in legal and formal use.

Shaul

Premium Member
Only if your command of language is insufficient to understand that colloquial synonyms are not actually appropriate substitutes for words especially in legal and formal use.
And yet the Law Dictionary I reference didn't agree, how curious. Now if only we could figure out whether RF is a Legal or colloquial forum ..... :p

Callisto

Hellenismos, BTW

Definition of INDICTMENT

Definition & Citations:

It doesn't help your argument to cherrypick partial definitions. E.g., like conveniently ignoring on Black Law Dictionary:

Indictment vs. Charges:
An indictment and a charge are both steps used to move a criminal case toward a trial. The main difference is grand juries file indictments and prosecutors file charges...​
Generally speaking, an indictment, also known as a “true bill” may be viewed as a formal accusation undergoing an official investigation before moving forward with charges. An indictment may or may not result in court charges. A charge, on the other hand, means that grand jury members have decided formal prosecution should take place.​

Clearly there's a difference, even your own source dedicates a section to addressing it.

Pogo

And yet the Law Dictionary I reference didn't agree, how curious. Now if only we could figure out whether RF is a Legal or colloquial forum ..... :p
The law library does not include synonyms which were your excuse for saying the terms were equivalent.

crossfire

Premium Member
Problem is, you are still misquoting me. I wrote COUNTS, not charges, and not indictments. I'll refrain from reporting you for a rule 7 violation as you genuinely seem to be having difficulty here.
Definition of INDICTMENT

Definition & Citations:

How you can confuse a count with an indictment is beyond me, especially when you are comparing the terms of charges and indictments, and I didn't use either of those words. I specifically used the word counts.

Have you tried coffee? I've heard it helps to clear mental fog.

crossfire

Premium Member
Question: how many felony counts constitutes a cause for concern? I would say that any felony counts would be a valid concern. 10 would certainly be a major concern. 30 or more cannot be ignored and simply waved away as TDS.

Shaul

Premium Member
Problem is, you are still misquoting me. I wrote COUNTS, not charges, and not indictments. I'll refrain from reporting you for a rule 7 violation as you genuinely seem to be having difficulty here.

How you can confuse a count with an indictment is beyond me, especially when you are comparing the terms of charges and indictments, and I didn't use either of those words. I specifically used the word counts.

Have you tried coffee? I've heard it helps to clear mental fog.
I didn't quote you. Get over yourself.

Shaul

Premium Member
Question: how many felony counts constitutes a cause for concern? I would say that any felony counts would be a valid concern. 10 would certainly be a major concern. 30 or more cannot be ignored and simply waved away as TDS.
It isn't the number of counts that matter but their validity.

Pogo

It isn't the number of counts that matter but their validity.
And the dismissed counts may well become valid again by going through the grand jury process again and modifying the language used to make the charges more specific in line with the judges recommendation. Which would bring us to 5 valid indictments with 91 charges again.
You are not getting anywhere with nitpicking of the situation.

Wandering Monk

Indeed, the judge made it clear that the charges could be filed again if amended.
And the dismissed counts may well become valid again by going through the grand jury process again and modifying the language used to make the charges more specific in line with the judges recommendation. Which would bring us to 5 valid indictments with 91 charges again.
You are not getting anywhere with nitpicking of the situation.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
The Democrat Party is making Trump a martyr. Trump is being led by the Democrat rats. Trump is not leading himself. Trump rose to the office of President because the Democrat Party, under Obama and Biden had marginalizes half the country. The preachers do not see the dividing being between white and black, male and female or even Conservative and Liberal. Rather it is between good and evil. Good unites and Evil divides. Which side are you on? Evil is about lie and deception, while good is about truth. The good see persecution beyond politics; evil streak.

For example, the Unconstitutional election interference tactics of the DNC; spying, censorship and the injustice system is from the evil side. Evil has to cheat to win since they cannot win by their knucklehead deeds. Evil is now persecuting someone who has not brought harm to any of these jokers. Name me one Democrat, Trump persecuted all the way to destruction? As far as Trump went was name calling or by the book.

The DNC knows their time is fleeting, and the only way they know to escape the justice due, is to steal another election, by applying pressure to their main adversary and threatens his followers. If Trump wins, he gets to play by their rules.

Again, the battle is between good and evil, does not mean the divide is between Democrat and Republican. It is the evil in both parties; swamp, led by the Democrats. Most Democrats are good, and will do fine, since good is protected. But the cancer of evil in both parties will be targeted using their unjust rules against them. So many evil people have escaped until now, that will change. Then the country can heal with the good back in charge in a cooperative way based on growth and prosperity.
Oh yes, poor Trump, the perpetual victim! The big strong tough alpha male that constantly whines about how mean everyone is being to him. As he's mean and nasty to everyone else. As he wantonly commits fraud. As he constantly lies. Poor, poor Trump.

Trump made his bed, now he gets to lie in it.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
You are trying to make it a semantics issue. It isn't. It is about the number. There are not 91, there are 88.
He has been indicted on 91 felonies. Charges were dropped for 3 of them.

He'll no longer face a legal penalty for 3 of the charges. By the same token, I won't face any legal penalty for drinking a coffee this morning; this doesn't mean I didn't drink a coffee this morning.

Trump was charged with 91 felonies. The fact that "only" 88 of them are actively moving through the courts right now doesn't change this fact.