• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God Don't Care No More

Skwim

Veteran Member
This was brought to my attention last night while reading a book on the nature of the universe. According to the Bible, after god created the Earth and plopped man down on it he stayed quite active in the lives of his creation. Chapter after chapter has him doing this, that, and the other thing. Sometimes obliterating sinners and the towns they lived in, often handing down new rules for living, or turning disobedient people (one people) into pillars of salt, or making sure that taunting boys got their comeuppance by having bears maul them to death. Of course, people continue to contend that god has done this or that to them in their lives, but nothing that makes the headlines like the things he did in the past.
There's no such a book as Significant Acts of God since the Bible describing note worthy events on par with those described in the Bible. God just doesn't seem to care any more. Of course if I'm mistaken, and there's evidence of god doing lots of stuff on the level with those in the Bible, I'm all ears.

Last edited:

rocala

Well I am not a god type person but if I was I would not be inclined to think that he was taken by surprise by his creation.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
In both the novel and it's movie adaptation, "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter", Abraham Lincoln hunted vampires. Yet if Abraham was an actual person, U.S. president or otherwise, then why hasn't there ever been any evidence that vampires exist or have existed at any time in history?

Buttercup

Veteran Member
It seems that starting generic threads with loaded OPs aimed at implicitly mocking potential respondents who genuinely believe in the Bible is the cool thing to do now.
I hope you aren't referring also to my current thread that's asking Christians a question. It was absolutely a serious inquiry on my part and not meant to mock in the slightest.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
This was brought to my attention last night while reading a book on the nature of the universe. According to the Bible, after god created the Earth and plopped man down on it he stayed quite active in the lives of his creation. Chapter after chapter has him doing this, that, and the other thing. Sometimes obliterating sinners and the towns they lived in, often handing down new rules for living, or turning disobedient people (one people) into pillars of salt, or making sure that taunting boys got their comeuppance by having bears maul them to death. Of course, people continue to contend that god has done this or that to them in their lives, but nothing that makes the headlines like the things he did in the past.
There's no such a book as Significant Acts of God since the Bible describing note worthy events on par with those described in the Bible. God just doesn't seem to care any more. Of course if I'm mistaken, and there's evidence of god doing lots of stuff on the level with those in the Bible, I'm all ears.
This really just tells us that the man's thinking on God's involvement has evolved over time; not that God has changed. A good thing in my opinion.

A Vestigial Mote

There's no such a book as Significant Acts of God since the Bible describing note worthy events on par with those dItescribed in the Bible.

It is interesting that it is claimed that God is to be found within so many acts that happen on a daily basis, and yet no one ever seems to find them worthy of record. Well, I am sure people record them. Which actually points to something else being behind the fact that there is no "book" as you describe, nor is the Bible updated.

My best guess is that even as any given Christian sees God in any one thing, none of them agree enough on whether or not God was actually in that thing, or that it was worthy of noting prominently. In other words, they basically don't believe one another. There's a telling story within that, I feel.

Skwim

Veteran Member
I hope you aren't referring also to my current thread that's asking Christians a question. It was absolutely a serious inquiry on my part and not meant to mock in the slightest.
Christians, not necessarily Debater Slayer if he is one, sometimes get tired of having the objects of their faith questioned and debated---even in debate forums. They would prefer to assert their beliefs without ever hearing a discouraging word; debating with the choir as it were. Trouble is, a lot of what they claim is not defensible without resorting to fallacious tactics, something they either don't realize or refuse to acknowledge. Unfortunately, this will invite less than neighborly replies, at times even mockery. So, it's kind of a two-way exchange, sometimes consisting of disorderly conduct on both sides.

Whatever the case, I wouldn't worry about any perceived mockery on your side.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Christians, not necessarily Debater Slayer if he is one, sometimes get tired of having the objects of their faith questioned and debated---even in debate forums. They would prefer to assert their beliefs without ever hearing a discouraging word; debating with the choir as it were. Trouble is, a lot of what they claim is not defensible without resorting to fallacious tactics, something they either don't realize or refuse to acknowledge. Unfortunately, this will invite less than neighborly replies, at times even mockery. So, it's kind of a two-way exchange, sometimes consisting of disorderly conduct on both sides.
I definitely understand what you're saying. I've been here off and on for a decade now and disorderly conduct on both sides is standard operating procedure of a religious debate forum - anywhere. I try very hard to be diplomatic and polite in discussions. I'm not always successful, but I don't think anyone is.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Christians, not necessarily Debater Slayer if he is one, sometimes get tired of having the objects of their faith questioned and debated---even in debate forums.
To be correct, I think you need to replace 'Christians' in the above quote with 'Biblical Fundamentalist Christians'.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
There are lots of people willing to attribute to God meaningful events. They just don't really agree much.

I am not sure what the goal of this thread is, truth be told.

Skwim

Veteran Member
There are lots of people willing to attribute to God meaningful events. They just don't really agree much.

I am not sure what the goal of this thread is, truth be told.
Looking at the events described in the Bible, god was quite an involved, and prominent participant. Since then this appears to be no longer the case. He no longer gets involved, or is a prominent participant. However, if I'm wrong please show me why. I want to know if it's fair to say god doesn't care about getting involved and being a prominent in events anymore. So . . . .?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
There are people who say that he sends tsunamis, others that expect him to protect or motivate armies, yet others might believe he has been working to make us discreetly wiser and more compassionate.

It is very hard to even attempt to evidence otherwise, you know.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
That thread is three days old and 24 pages long. I think the question you posed in there is a good one, but there are only brief times when people are open to considering a question like it. Most people are busy or distracted with something going on every day like things they worry about, work, relationships etc. There are also life situations that make it nearly impossible to talk about sometimes, and its never a comfortable subject to begin. I think its a good question.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
This was brought to my attention last night while reading a book on the nature of the universe...God just doesn't seem to care anymore....
This is most poignantly brought up by some of the great authors like Mark Twain, Emily Dickenson etc. Its tragic that its so hard to discuss, but great authors write about things like this.

buddhist

This is not only limited to the god of the Bible; other alleged gods were also recorded as being far more active within their creation.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member

I'm certainly not referring to your thread, which was quite respectful and well-written. :)

arthra

Baha'i
There's no such a book as Significant Acts of God since the Bible describing note worthy events on par with those described in the Bible. God just doesn't seem to care any more

I don't think I can agree with that one Skwim...

While there may not be a book with a title such as you suggest there have been revelations following the Bible.

God cares... in my "Book".:)