• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God cannot have Form?

idav

Being
Premium Member
'abstain' still reveals itself in form.
As well, other things can point to/speak of 'abstain'-
either as a word, a concept, a symbol, a word'play, a coincidence/syncronicity, or an action, or an inSight.
(and whatever else I may have missed)
These are all 'things'.
When we communicate we have to use words and often times does take away from the significance of the word. Like when I have to try and describe 'formless' or 'nothing' it really does mean what it sounds like despite the fact that I have to use words to try and convey it. Which is when people say nothing is actually something but I might argue it is not.

I-Ching

Aspiring to Transcendence
Brahma samhita is not sruti.

OK. What will a sentence like 'Bangle is a form of gold' mean to you? And have you known the vigraha of sat-chit-ananda?

I am not contradicting you.

Your are free to interpret the Vedas in anyway you like but that is not going to affect reality. We accept the Vedas as they are given in disciplic succession. evam parmpara praptam "Thus through the chain of disciplic succession this knowledge is recieved" Bg 4.2

Isopanisad:

Iso 14: One should know perfectly the Personality of Godhead Śrī Kṛṣṇa and His transcendental name, form, qualities and pastimes, as well as the temporary material creation with its temporary demigods, men and animals. When one knows these, he surpasses death and the ephemeral cosmic manifestation with it, and in the eternal kingdom of God he enjoys his eternal life of bliss and knowledge.

Iso 15: O my Lord, sustainer of all that lives, Your real face is covered by Your dazzling effulgence. Kindly remove that covering and exhibit Yourself to Your pure devotee.

Iso 16: O my Lord, O primeval philosopher, maintainer of the universe, O regulating principle, destination of the pure devotees, well-wisher of the progenitors of mankind, please remove the effulgence of Your transcendental rays so that I can see Your form of bliss. You are the eternal Supreme Personality of Godhead, like unto the sun, as am I.

I-Ching

Hare Krishna - ISKCON can come across as self-righteous.
I am not attacking this, but it is an observation which I pick up on whenever I come close to its teachings. I see it serves a purpose, to bring us to Krishna.

BTW I'm not with ISKCON they kicked me out because of the I-Ching.

atanu

Premium Member
Your are free to interpret the Vedas in anyway you like but that is not going to affect reality. We accept the Vedas as they are given in disciplic succession. evam parmpara praptam "Thus through the chain of disciplic succession this knowledge is recieved" Bg 4.2

Isopanisad:

Iso 14: One should know perfectly the Personality of Godhead Śrī Kṛṣṇa and His transcendental name, form, qualities and pastimes, as well as the temporary material creation with its temporary demigods, men and animals. When one knows these, he surpasses death and the ephemeral cosmic manifestation with it, and in the eternal kingdom of God he enjoys his eternal life of bliss and knowledge.

That is the problem. The translation you have given represents the words/thoughts of a particular sect and is not what the upanishad actually says. Kindly check the Isavasya Up. for yourself and find out.

I-Ching

That is the problem. The translation you have given represents the words/thoughts of a particular sect and is not what the upanishad actually says. Kindly check the Isavasya Up. for yourself and find out.
Yes this the interpretation of Brahma-Madhva-Gaudiya Sampradaya. As I already said it only through parampara that we can understand the Vedas, it not up to us to interpret them in anyway we want. Why? Because we are in maya. Only someone who is not in maya can properly understand the meaning of the text.
Therefore I think that Srila Prabhupada is qualified to properly interpret them, certainly more qualified than you or I are.

atanu

Premium Member
Yes this the interpretation of Brahma-Madhva-Gaudiya Sampradaya. ---
Therefore I think that Srila Prabhupada is qualified to properly interpret them, certainly more qualified than you or I are.

Whether I am qualified or not is a moot point since I have no interpretation of my own. But the interpretation that you give us is not standard.

Isa Up.

sambhuutiM cha vinaashaM cha yastadvedobhaya{\m+} saha .
vinaashena mR^ityuM tiirtvaa sambhuutyaa.amR^itamashnute .. 14..

Against the above original sanskrit, your translation gives: One should know perfectly the Personality of Godhead Śrī Kṛṣṇa and His transcendental name, form, qualities and pastimes ---

This is a personal interpretation of the translator. There is no mention of any Godhead Krishna or his past-times in the Isha Upanishad. It is unpleasant for me to answer you who while using a patently sectarian translation likes to suggest that others are ignorant of Veda or are using wrong knowledge.

The most common understanding of the verse 14 of Isha upanishad is simple as below:

14. He who knows both the Unmanifested and the destructible (Hiranyagarbha) together, transcends death by the (worship of) the destructible and attains immortality by the (worship of ) the Unmanifested.

Last edited:

I-Ching

Whether I am qualified or not is a moot point since I have no interpretation of my own. But the interpretation that you give us is not standard.
Who's standard? The standard of the impersonalists. What sampradaya does your "standard" interpretation come in.

Srila Prabhupada translates sambhūtim as the eternal Personality of Godhead, His transcendental name, form, pastimes, qualities and paraphernalia, the variegatedness of His abode, etc.

Your "standard" translates sambhutim as the "Unmanifested", due to fact that your conception of God is impersonal.

At the Tirumala Venkateswara Temple, one of the oldest temples in India, the only books the brahmins allow to be distributed there are Srila Prabhupada's, because they consider his translations to the "standard". Probably because they believe in God.

Even Sripada Sankaracharya (the father of advaita) said:
bhaja govindam bhaja govindam
bhaja govindam mudha-mate
samprapte sannihite kale
na hi na hi raksati dukrn-karane

"You intellectual fools, just worship Govinda, just worship Govinda, just worship Govinda. Your grammatical knowledge and word jugglery will not save you at the time of death."

I do not care for your concocted "standard". The standard is what comes in sampradaya. The standard is not established by votes.

nameless

The Creator
We are all one with Krishna in the sense that a sunshine is one with the sun but at the same time we are different the sunshine can never become the sun.

could pls quote any verse(s) from scriptures(apart from vaishnava) about this analogy ....

I-Ching

could pls quote any verse(s) from scriptures(apart from vaishnava) about this analogy ....

What do you consider scripture apart from Vaishnava? Since Scripture comes from Vishnu anything else must not be Scripture.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
They kicked your family out? or your family kicked you out? I hope the former. Why?

They kicked my family out and sacked my dad from the gurukul (he was a teacher there) because they went to see Narayan Maharaj (due to curiosity, they were not actually thinking of leaving Iskon at that time).

I-Ching

ok..... scriptures by vishnu, those are not bhakti based.. eg:rigveda

The Śrī Īśopaniṣad is considered to be sruti and it says:

oḿ pūrṇam adaḥ pūrṇam idaḿ
pūrṇāt pūrṇam udacyate
pūrṇasya pūrṇam ādāya
pūrṇam evāvaśiṣyate

The Personality of Godhead is perfect and complete, and because He is completely perfect, all emanations from Him, such as this phenomenal world, are perfectly equipped as complete wholes. Whatever is produced of the Complete Whole is also complete in itself. Because He is the Complete Whole, even though so many complete units emanate from Him, He remains the complete balance.

This is explained by the analogy of the sun and the sunshine.

I-Ching

They kicked my family out and sacked my dad from the gurukul (he was a teacher there) because they went to see Narayan Maharaj (due to curiosity, they were not actually thinking of leaving Iskon at that time).

That's terrible! I also experienced such fanaticism. I think it is due to a lack of leadership.

atanu

Premium Member
Who's standard? The standard of the impersonalists. What sampradaya does your "standard" interpretation come in.
I do not care for your concocted "standard". The standard is what comes in sampradaya. The standard is not established by votes.

It does not matter a bit as what you consider standard. The following translation is not true translation of:

Isa Up.

sambhuutiM cha vinaashaM cha yastadvedobhaya{\m+} saha .
vinaashena mR^ityuM tiirtvaa sambhuutyaa.amR^itamashnute .. 14..

One should know perfectly the Personality of Godhead Śrī Kṛṣṇa and His transcendental name, form, qualities and pastimes ---