• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God bless...

confused453

What or who gives anyone the right to say God bless this and God bless that? How about letting God to decide who to bless, and who not to bless??? :facepalm:

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I think it's more like saying I wish you well. It's 'I hope God blesses you'. At least, I think it is?

If not then I agree it's a bit odd.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Why are you getting so worked up over a courtesy? :shrug:

No kidding.

On the other hand, there is a valid point here. Presuming we were not using this as a common social courtesy, to some it is improper to speak on the behalf of your gods. Or, if the phrase is viewed as a sort of magical incantation to request the blessings of a god, some people have problems with that too.

Funny thing about people's problems: they're mostly self-inflicted based on the failure of the universe to meet our own self-assigned expectations of it. I mean, how dare the universe not do what we want it to!? :D

RedJamaX

What is a bit amusing is the origin of the "God Bless You" response when somebody sneezes. It was once believed that you were expelling evil spirits!

:biglaugh: As a species we are so ridiculously driven by intangible fear.

confused453

Funny thing is, one day you'd tell the person "god bless you", and the next day you'd say "go to hell" if you get into a fight or something..

RedJamaX, I didn't know that :). People with whom I associated most of the time, say "good health to you" when somebody sneezes.

InfidelRiot

I honestly do not care who states "god bless" to me. I would rather they get over their egos by stating "god bless the world" rather than "god bless america". Gets on my nerves more than anything, as though god would advocate one country over another.

Draka

Wonder Woman
What about "god forbid"? As if you saying "god forbid" something god will actually forbid it from happening? :p

Lady B

noob
What is a bit amusing is the origin of the "God Bless You" response when somebody sneezes. It was once believed that you were expelling evil spirits!

actually....that response stems from Islam. and really began as " Your God has granted you mercy" The story is when God breathed spirit into adam and it reached his nose he sneezed. The angels told him to say " all praise belongs to allah" so he did repeat it and God then said " your god has granted you mercy"

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind

Why we sneeze ?

Sneezing is very good for you and your body because it removes things from your body like bacteria and germs. It also is good because it keeps the tubes that carry the air from your nose to the lungs healthy. Sneezing makes your nose clear when you have a cold. If you used to hate sneezing, then I hope this has changed your mind.

Reference : Sneezing

So isn't it god mercy on us that we got the ability to sneeze by an automatic responce according to his wise design of creation or should we bless the nature & evolution .:)

confused453

Why we sneeze ?
So isn't it god mercy on us that we got the ability to sneeze by an automatic responce according to his wise design of creation or should we bless the nature & evolution .:)

Not really.
Sneeze - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"While generally harmless in healthy individuals, sneezes spread disease through the infectious aerosol droplets, commonly ranging from 0.5 to 5 µm. 40,000 droplets can be produced by a sneeze.[4] To reduce the possibility of thus spreading disease (such as the flu), one should hold the forearm or the inside of the elbow in front of one's mouth and nose when sneezing. Using one's hand for that purpose is inappropriate, since it promotes spreading germs through commonly touched objects (most notably doorknobs)."

confused453

actually....that response stems from Islam. and really began as " Your God has granted you mercy" The story is when God breathed spirit into adam and it reached his nose he sneezed. The angels told him to say " all praise belongs to allah" so he did repeat it and God then said " your god has granted you mercy"

Sounds like something from a Greek mythology.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
Not really.
Sneeze - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"While generally harmless in healthy individuals, sneezes spread disease through the infectious aerosol droplets, commonly ranging from 0.5 to 5 µm. 40,000 droplets can be produced by a sneeze.[4] To reduce the possibility of thus spreading disease (such as the flu), one should hold the forearm or the inside of the elbow in front of one's mouth and nose when sneezing. Using one's hand for that purpose is inappropriate, since it promotes spreading germs through commonly touched objects (most notably doorknobs)."

In Islam,we should prevent the aerosol droplets from spreading by puting a piece of cloth such as a handkerchief.

Abu Daud and Tirmidhi both relate on the authority of Abu Hurayrah (RA) that whenever the Prophet (SAW) sneezed, he used to cover his mouth with his hand or cloth.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I think it's more like saying I wish you well. It's 'I hope God blesses you'. At least, I think it is?

You are correct. It is a fossilized idiomatic expression in the subjunctive mood: "May God bless... " or more archaically, "Would that God bless... "

Straw Dog

What or who gives anyone the right to say God bless this and God bless that? How about letting God to decide who to bless, and who not to bless??? :facepalm:

I don't get offended because someone says "God bless you" after I sneeze. I do get offended, however, that they believe I have the plague! :eek: