• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God And Homosexual Sex

InChrist

Free4ever

In another thread Polymath257 remarked, "I am saying that to expect them [a couple] to break off an otherwise successful (by their terms) relationship is heartless and cruel. And any God that would want such is evil, " which made me immediately think of the god of Abraham's disapproval of homosexual sex. Okay, but why?

As far as I know god has never explained why he hates it so much. Enough so that those who engage in it deserve to be put to death.

Leviticus 20:13
"If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall surely be put to death; their blood is upon them."

So, anyone here want to venture an opinion? One preferably based in scripture.

God hates homosexual sex because_______________________________________________________________________________________________ .

I think the answer is simple. God is the Designer so He knows how His designed creatures function best and what is detrimental. It's not just homosexual sex He hates, but any activity which has a negative impact on individuals.

Skwim

Veteran Member
I think the answer is simple. God is the Designer so He knows how His designed creatures function best and what is detrimental.
So what does god think of those who don't do as they were supposedly designed for, such as the millions who have divorced, or those who remain spinsters and bachelors? Is there some punishment for them as there is for the practicing homosexuals? From what I've read, there isn't, so why single out homosexuals?

but any activity which has a negative impact on individuals.
Which would include the activities, to one degree or another, of every single person on the planet. So why single out practicing homosexuals? Homosexual sexual activities are just as mutually consensual as those of heterosexuals. They bring mutual pleasure to both, can draw each together, and can be expressions of love. Yet for some reason god ignores these aspects of homosexual sex and despises it. Why?

Nope, in god's eye there's something wrong with these homosexuals acts in of themselves. What is it, and why is it so? Oddly enough, he doesn't care to tell us, but condemns homosexuals for engaging in them. Nice guy, this god of Abraham. :thumbsdown:

Last edited:

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm trying to explain that our lives here, our happiness, our desires have no importance compared with the infinity before us.

Our lives here are a blip on an infinite radar.

Yea, I got it. Which is why I asked: if our lives are so inconsequential, much less what we specifically do in the bedroom, then why would your God sentence people to death over it?

What if we are being tested as gold tried in the fire.

What if we aren't?

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Why should we trust that ancient, primative savages actually spoke on god's behalf when a lot of what they wrote was unsubstantiated, inconsistent, arbitrary, and irrational? Why trust the Jewish/Christian account over any of ten thousand other religions? In the majority of cases, we only believe what we do because we were taught to as children, with the religion decided by the culture we were born into.

Last edited:

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Why should we trust that ancient, primative savages actually spoke on god's behalf when a lot of what they wrote was unsubstantiated, inconsistent, arbitrary, and irrational? Why trust the Jewish/Christian account over any of ten thousand other religions? In the majority of cases, we only believe what we do because we were taught to as children, with the religion decided by the culture we were born into.

I mean, true - like, I've been reading about Hinduism, and some of them more recently accept LGBTQ+ (I know, homosexuality dates way back in sculptures, stories, etc regarding Hinduism). And they're the third largest religion, which has been around a very long, respectable amont of time.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

In another thread Polymath257 remarked, "I am saying that to expect them [a couple] to break off an otherwise successful (by their terms) relationship is heartless and cruel. And any God that would want such is evil, " which made me immediately think of the god of Abraham's disapproval of homosexual sex. Okay, but why?

As far as I know god has never explained why he hates it so much. Enough so that those who engage in it deserve to be put to death.

"If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall surely be put to death; their blood is upon them."

God hates homosexual sex because_______________________________________________________________________________________________ .

In the Biblical context?

God hates homosexual sex because sex is meant to be a breeding arrangement between a man and the wife he bought from his in-laws. It isn't meant to be an expression of love between equals.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Why should we trust that ancient, primative savages actually spoke on god's behalf when a lot of what they wrote was unsubstantiated, inconsistent, arbitrary, and irrational?
Especially since even modern people ignore or reinterpret Scripture to fit what they prefer to believe, even if it doesn't match what the Ancients clearly wrote.

They've always done this. Try to find Trinitarianism in the Original Testament. You not only won't find it, it's clearly against the 1st Commandment.
Tom

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
But comparing it to heterosexual adultery, homosexual sex is the one sin that really thumbs it's nose in the face of God's grand design for humanity.

"For this reason a man shall leave his father and his mother,
and be joined to his wife; and they shall become one flesh.
In that story, "God's grand design" is for no women at all and relations between men and animals.

Read Genesis: woman is a Plan B. Eve is only created when none of the animals prove to be acceptable to Adam.

Obviously "Sin is whatever God says it is," but the question is WHY does he consider homosexual sex to be sinful? What does he find wrong with it?

It's wrong because it breaks natural law. What is the purpose of male and female reproductive organs? To produce a child. So when you use one of the said organs for something it is not designed for, that breaks natural law. Therefore why it is a sin and why it is wrong. The whole basis of why this is considered to be wrong revolves around the idea of natural law.

Especially since even modern people ignore or reinterpret Scripture to fit what they prefer to believe, even if it doesn't match what the Ancients clearly wrote.

They've always done this. Try to find Trinitarianism in the Original Testament. You not only won't find it, it's clearly against the 1st Commandment.
Tom

I almost didn't want to tackle this post since you (sorry) obviously don't know what you're talking about. It obviously not against the first commandment which is: "I am the Lord your God and you shall not have other gods beside me." Trinitarianism doesn't go against this in any way shape or form. The whole idea of the trinity is that there is only one God. This God has different...shall we say aspects. One being (God), three persons.

It's wrong because it breaks natural law. What is the purpose of male and female reproductive organs? To produce a child. So when you use one of the said organs for something it is not designed for, that breaks natural law. Therefore why it is a sin and why it is wrong. The whole basis of why this is considered to be wrong revolves around the idea of natural law.

But what does god do with those who never hook up with the opposite sex, but remain spinsters and bachelors? Like homosexuals, such people don't unite with those of the opposite sex, yet I don't hear god calling them an abomination and demanding they be put to death. Seems that it isn't so much what homosexuals are, but what they do. So why is it god feels what homosexuals do to be such an abomination? How close can a pee pee come to a butt hole before god declares the death sentence? Can the two touch? If so, how much of a touch? He doesn't say, does he. He apparently gives no reason why it's a sin, this sort of touching of the flesh and more.

Unreasonable? Of course it is because it lacks reason. Some of god's dictates are simply unreasonable, and he obviously doesn't care.

Homosexuality is wrong because it breaks natural law. What is the purpose of male and female reproductive organs? To produce a child. So when you use one of the said organs for something it is not designed for, that breaks natural law. Therefore why it is a sin and why it is wrong. The whole basis of why this is considered to be wrong revolves around the idea of natural law.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I almost didn't want to tackle this post since you (sorry) obviously don't know what you're talking about. It obviously not against the first commandment which is: "I am the Lord your God and you shall not have other gods beside me." Trinitarianism doesn't go against this in any way shape or form. The whole idea of the trinity is that there is only one God. This God has different...shall we say aspects. One being (God), three persons.
Sorry dude.
I know the Bible better than you do. But I don't find your opinions important enough to go back over the decades of education I have on the subject to set you straight.
Tom

Which is all well and good but why would God make people with the inclination towards this so-called sin? I'm afraid the Bible had become an idol in a lot of believers' lives, to the point of ignoring the many other graces God has given us. Like reason. And science. And Jesus saying "I desire mercy"...

First, why homosexuality is wrong: It's wrong because it breaks natural law. What is the purpose of male and female reproductive organs? To produce a child. So when you use one of the said organs for something it is not designed for, that breaks natural law. Therefore why it is a sin and why it is wrong. The whole basis of why this is considered to be wrong revolves around the idea of natural law.

Second, the reason for homosexual desires: The reason for this is the same reason that there is any type of sin in the world. It's because God values free choice above all else. In order to have free choice than humans must have the possibility to choose not to follow natural law. Quite simple when you think about it.

Since your profile states that you currently worship at a Catholic Church I'll run it through the church's words. The Catechism states:

"Homosexuality refers to relations between men or between women who experience an exclusive or predominant sexual attraction toward persons of the same sex. It has taken a great variety of forms through the centuries and in different cultures. Its psychological genesis remains Basing itself on Sacred Scripture, which presents homosexual acts as acts of grave 140 tradition has always declared that "homosexual acts are intrinsically disordered." They are contrary to the natural law. They close the sexual act to the gift of life. They do not proceed from a genuine affective and sexual complementarity. Under no circumstances can they be approved." (Catholic Catechism 2357)

"The number of men and women who have homosexual tendencies is not choosing their homosexual condition; for most of them, it is a trial. They must be accepted with respect, compassion, and sensitivity. Every sign of unjust discrimination in their regard should be avoided. These persons are called to fulfill God's will in their lives and, if they are Christians, to unite to the sacrifice of the Lord's Cross the difficulties they may encounter from their condition." (Catholic Catechism 2358)

"Homosexual persons are called to chastity. By the virtues of self-mastery that teach them inner freedom, at times by the support of disinterested friendship, by prayer and sacramental grace, they can and should gradually and resolutely approach Christian perfection." (Catholic Catechism 2359)

Hope that this helps, cheers.

Sorry dude.
I know the Bible better than you do. But I don't find your opinions important enough to go back over the decades of education I have on the subject to set you straight.
Tom

I'd love for you to be respectful enough to engage in civilized conversation with me instead of just stating that you're right with no evidence.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I'd love for you to be respectful enough to engage in civilized conversation with me instead of just stating that you're right with no evidence.

Welcome to the forums!

I think what it comes down to, is that these arguments have been gone over a good 30+ times probably. So some members may be pretty reluctant to engage in a "The Abrahamic God considers homosexuality unnatural" debate. I think some of us are looking for something more compelling.

Welcome to the forums!

I think what it comes down to, is that these arguments have been gone over a good 30+ times probably. So some members may be pretty reluctant to engage in a "The Abrahamic God considers homosexuality unnatural" debate. I think some of us are looking for something more compelling.

That's fair, and I understand that. However, if colombus was willing to post on this thread to begin with, then he should at least answer criticisms instead of insulting me. Or, if he does not want to answer criticisms then he should have just not replied to my post to begin with.

Thanks for welcoming me, I appreciate it.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
That's fair, and I understand that. However, if colombus was willing to post on this thread to begin with, then he should at least answer criticisms instead of insulting me. Or, if he does not want to answer criticisms then he should have just not replied to my post to begin with.

Thanks for welcoming me, I appreciate it.

Well to me, regarding this subject, it comes down to these questions in order:

1. Is the Abrahamic God real?
2. If so, does he have our best interests at heart?
3. Is the Bible valid?
4. Does the Bible speak out about homosexuality?
5. Are the interpretations by the person asserting the arguments based on what they read valid?

Skwim

Veteran Member
It's wrong because it breaks natural law.
So where has this "Natural law" been expressed? As I understand it, natural law is simply an observable law relating to natural phenomena. And one of these natural phenomena is homosexual sex, which occurs throughout the animal kingdom:

Homosexual behavior among animals:

"4 Some selected species and groups

4.1 Birds
4.1.1 Black swans
4.1.2 Laysan albatross
4.1.3 Ibises
4.1.4 Mallards
4.1.5 Penguins
4.1.6 Vultures
4.1.7 Pigeons
4.2 Mammals
4.2.1 Amazon dolphin
4.2.2 American bison
4.2.3 Bats
4.2.4 Bottlenose dolphins
4.2.5 Elephants
4.2.6 Giraffes
4.2.7 Marmots
4.2.8 Lions
4.2.9 Polecat
4.2.10 Primates
4.2.10.1 Bonobo
4.2.10.2 Gorillas
4.2.10.3 Japanese macaque
4.2.10.4 Оrangutans
4.2.10.5 Monkeys
4.2.11 Sheep
4.2.12 Spotted hyena
4.3 Reptiles
4.3.1 Lizards
4.3.2 Tortoises
4.4 Insects and arachnids
4.4.1 Dragonflies
4.4.2 Fruit flies
4.4.3 Bed bugs"
(Source: Wikipedia)​

So homosexual sex among humans is certainly within keeping of natural law, just as is left-handedness.

What is the purpose of male and female reproductive organs? To produce a child. So when you use one of the said organs for something it is not designed for, that breaks natural law.
Obviously masturbation falls into that category, which means that 99.998 percent of the people on earth have broken this natural law, yet as far as I know god hasn't seen fit to impose the death penalty on any of them for breaking this one. By the way, just where is this law (Re. Using one of the reproductive organs for something it is not designed for), written?

Last edited: