• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God and his free will

God and his free will. A poll for determinists only

• God has free will

Votes: 9 42.9%
  • God does not have free will

Votes: 12 57.1%

• Total voters

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Neither have I. So far no one who professes it has been able to coherently explain just what they're professing. As an example, simply look at the contortions sojourner here has been putting himself through.

Gotta agree.
Egocentrism is a poor substitute for Deity.

atanu

Premium Member
So far all the debate on free will v. determinism has focused on we folks, but how about god. It's almost a certainty that Christians will declare their god has free will, but what do the determinists here say?

As a determinsist I say
1) God has free will

I will like to understand how being a strict determinist allows for a God and free will for Him.

Sultan Of Swing

How did you come to the conclusion that God goes beyond our logic?
God created the universe. He was there before a universe. Before time existed. These things are beyond our logic and understanding. We cannot imagine life without time, because it is beyond us, we have not experienced it. In fact, common man would say it was impossible. And so it is beyond our logic.

God is also an omnipotent, omnipresent, omniscient Being. He is everywhere, and it is only logical to assume that he would be beyond our logic. :rolleyes:

That's my take anyway.

PolyHedral

Superabacus Mystic
God is also an omnipotent, omnipresent, omniscient Being. He is everywhere, and it is only logical to assume that he would be beyond our logic. :rolleyes:
It can't possibly be logical to assume a non-logical idea. That's a contradiction in terms.

principle_of_explosion.png

Koldo

Outstanding Member
God created the universe. He was there before a universe. Before time existed. These things are beyond our logic and understanding. We cannot imagine life without time, because it is beyond us, we have not experienced it. In fact, common man would say it was impossible. And so it is beyond our logic.

How do you know this?

That's my take anyway.

I don't see how being omnipotent, omnipresent, and omniscience goes beyond our logic. Whatever you mean by "our logic".

PolyHedral

Superabacus Mystic
Playing devil's advocate, technically "beyond our logic" needn't be non-logical, any more than it need be logical.
"Beyond our logic" suggests an entity that is not bound by the idea that not(P and ~P) is true, i.e. that there are no contradictions. However, suggesting such an entity automatically entails a contradiction because logic is assumed to be consistent. Once you say that an entity exists that isn't guaranteed to be consistent, you've broken the assumption that underpins logic, and so broken the assumption that underpins all meaning whatsoever.

Also,
Before time existed.
Think about what you just said. Go on, parse what "before time" actually implies. You can't, because the phrase is totally nonsensical and meaningless.