• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God and Atheism

leibowde84

Veteran Member
neutral fall between positive and negative and takes a position on the spectrum. i can agree but still it doesn't know.
Wait, what doesn't know? You just said that God does know he exists, making God a theist. Or are you talking about someone else?

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
"God is a culmination of universal experience that manifests in the spiritual apart from the material."

I just made up the above piece of crap sentence on the spot. See... anyone can do this. It means nothing.
yes but you're not explaining how you came up with your crap and then nullifying the crap. its very, very hard to explain nothing.

explaining the spiritual doesn't require the absence of material. matter has mass/density, some greater/lesser.

consciousness works quite well in humans with brains and other forms of conscious matter as well.

vegetation, bacteria.............

Last edited:

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
If God knows he exists, then he is 100%, without a doubt, a theist. There is no doubt that he fulfills the meaning of the term, as he does believe he exists.
so an atheist is a person who doesn't know themselves?

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
No; knowledge is justified true belief.

In any case, theism is belief in a god or gods, so if you still say that God can't believe, then God can't be a theist.
i can work with belief given your definition. god believes in himself like an atheist believes in himself.

A Vestigial Mote

yes but you're not explaining how you came up with your crap and then nullifying the crap. its very, very hard to explain nothing.

explaining the spiritual doesn't require the absence of material. matter has mass/density, some greater/lesser.

consciousness works quite well in humans with brains and other forms of conscious matter as well.

vegetation, bacteria.............
If in the attempt to explain nothing you do little more than twist words and confuse your intended audience, then I would suspect you haven't accomplished much. And I find these sorts of issues exist in abundance when people attempt to explain their thoughts on things "spiritual."

leibowde84

Veteran Member
so an atheist is a person who doesn't know themselves?
Where did you get that from? An atheist is someone who lacks belief in the existence of God. The same definition applies to God and the average joe human.

If God believes in the existence of God (himself), then he is a theist.
If God does not believe in the existence of God (himself), then he is an atheist.

Simple as that. So, does God believe that God (himself) exists? I would say that if God exists, God necessarily believes in God (himself).

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
If in the attempt to explain nothing you do little more than twist words and confuse your intended audience, then I would suspect you haven't accomplished much. And I find these sorts of issues exist in abundance when people attempt to explain their thoughts on things "spiritual."

this isn't personal.

i'm using the english language like every poster on here. unlike mathematics, language isn't precise and words have multiple definitions.

unlike you, i'm not simply making up a statement. i'm conveying an idea in the myriad ways possible.

spiritual has a synonym. it's intellectual and mental. you believe that spiritual is devoid of material. it doesn't have to be and in fact nature shows quite well that it isn't and takes many, many forms.

Last edited:

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Where did you get that from?

i got it from you. the word GOD is used by people other than the self. do you suppose when an atheist discusses anything about self, that it refer to self by what other's might name/define it? or does it refers to itself in the 1st person, like every other self?

to do so would allude to a separation of self as other self in the third person.

the INFINITE I would not know anything apart from self, because it is all. it wouldn't be limited to this personality vs some other state of being.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
So, Almighty God is just a term used to flatter god? Not a real thing?
Tom
and you are top of the line life form?
nothing Greater

and when approached by Someone you cannot avoid
outrun or subdue
trick or cheat

what term do you prefer to use?.....to His Face

leibowde84

Veteran Member
i got it from you. the word GOD is used by people other than the self. do you suppose when an atheist discusses anything about self, that it refer to self by what other's might name/define it? or does it refers to itself in the 1st person, like every other self?

to do so would allude to a separation of self as other self in the third person.

the INFINITE I would not know anything apart from self, because it is all. it wouldn't be limited to this personality vs some other state of being.
This doesn't matter for the question at hand. Whether or not God identifies himself as God is inconsequential. The only thing that matters is whether God believes he, himself exists. This is all that is required by the term "theist".

You seem to have ignored my last post where I laid this out, so here it is again:

An atheist is someone who lacks belief in the existence of God. The same definition applies to God and the average joe human.

If God believes in the existence of God (himself), then he is a theist (regardless of whether God refers to himself as God).
If God does not believe in the existence of God (himself), then he is an atheist (which seems absurd, because why wouldn't God believe in himself).

Simple as that. So, does God believe that God (himself) exists? I would say that if God exists, God necessarily believes in God (himself).

A Vestigial Mote

this isn't personal.

i'm using the english language like every poster on here. unlike mathematics, language isn't precise and words have multiple definitions.

unlike you, i'm not simply making up a statement. i'm conveying an idea in the myriad ways possible.

spiritual has a synonym. it's intellectual and mental. you believe that spiritual is devoid of material. it doesn't have to be and in fact nature shows quite well that it isn't and takes many, many forms.

Well, I agree with one thing... this isn't personal.

Profound Realization

Would God be an atheist?

"An" would assume "God" as "an" individual, no different than an individual "atheist."

Depends on semantics of words, definitions.
There would be belief, knowing, and knowledge of, the way I perceive at least.

If God knows God, then "belief" is out in my perception... so God would not be an atheist.

God would also then not be a theist, since "belief" is out.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
This doesn't matter for the question at hand. Whether or not God identifies himself as God is inconsequential. The only thing that matters is whether God believes he, himself exists. This is all that is required by the term "theist".
well the problem lies here in the fact that God is often projected as something other than self. the Absolute, or All, would not project something as separate because this would then create a duality.

You seem to have ignored my last post where I laid this out, so here it is again:

An atheist is someone who lacks belief in the existence of God. The same definition applies to God and the average joe human.
again an absolute would not hold belief being All knowing, or knowing itself.

i'm not addressing the rest of the post because it shows that atheists hold beliefs, in this aspect then the All, as another poster has shown, would not be an atheist because it would not hold a positive/negative belief because of knowing all.

so the All would be neither a theist, or an atheist, in reality but might itself imagine/pretend to be so.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
"An" would assume "God" as "an" individual, no different than an individual "atheist."

Depends on semantics of words, definitions.
There would be belief, knowing, and knowledge of, the way I perceive at least.

If God knows God, then "belief" is out in my perception... so God would not be an atheist.

God would also then not be a theist, since "belief" is out.
thanks, i would have to agree with this insight.