• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God and Atheism

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Does "absolute" even have beliefs?
no, because once a thing is created, realized, its opposite occurs in order to define it. only the uncreated, like a singular point, has no reference to measure against. when duality occurs, then there can be a measure between point vs counterpoint.

Things get confusing when we noun adjectives.
like describing blue to a person who only sees in black and white, or shades of brown and greys.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Since God is an anthropomorphism of what the believer considers good or perfect, no: God would be a theist. Theists tend to see theism as a good thing and atheism as a bad thing, so their God would agree with this and reflect this position.

so is science an anthropomorphic realization; when the observer is objective and human? or do you believe a theist can't be scientifically objective?

Given all the nonsense surrounding the word atheist, I would suggest defining atheist as well....
The nonsense only seems to come from those with an agenda. The meaning of that word is simple. So simple in fact it's built into the word itself.

A - the lack of(see asymmetrical, asymptomatic, atypical, amoral)

Theism - a belief in God or gods.

Atheism - the lack of a belief in God or gods.

Simple as the starting line up of the special Olympics.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
The nonsense only seems to come from those with an agenda. The meaning of that word is simple. So simple in fact it's built into the word itself.

Fact is, the nonsense is still there.
In fact, not only is it still there, it dominates the thinking of some people.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
no, because once a thing is created, realized, its opposite occurs in order to define it. only the uncreated, like a singular point, has no reference to measure against. when duality occurs, then there can be a measure between point vs counterpoint.
Then there's your answer: if God is "Absolute" and "Absolute" doesn't have beliefs, then it doesn't believe in God.

like describing blue to a person who only sees in black and white, or shades of brown and greys.
No, not like that. I'm just talking about your use of an adjective as a noun.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
so is science an anthropomorphic realization;
No.

when the observer is objective and human?
Not sure what you mean by this.

or do you believe a theist can't be scientifically objective?
Plenty of theists function quite well in science.

BTW: I get the impression that you don't have a firm grasp on the point I was making in my last post. Do you need me to rephrase it?

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Then there's your answer: if God is "Absolute" and "Absolute" doesn't have beliefs, then it doesn't believe in God.
lack of belief then doesn't equate to a lack of knowing itself? it just doesn't believe in something apart from itself?

No, not like that. I'm just talking about your use of an adjective as a noun.
maybe thinking of it in terms of, the absolute Self, would help? Like the paramatman vs the atman. Supreme being, or absolute being.

https://www.grammarly.com/answers/questions/15695-can-an-adjective-become-a-noun/

Last edited:

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member

a belief/disbelief in something doesn't equate to the lack of belief.

a negative belief is still a belief. like a negative integer is still an integer, or matter vs anti-matter, or light energy vs dark energy.

one is simply the lack of the other along a spectrum.

a starting lineup doesn't require a runner. a door doesn't require someone to always be walking through it.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
gravity must be gravity
do not step from a high place expecting the angel to catch you
This is true.
Which is why I see gravity as a better "image of (or metaphor for) God" than the standard religious image of god, which more resembles a human with superpowers.
Tom

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
I feel like I'm talking to a chatbot. Don't you remember what you've said so far?
yes, please allow me to restate.

it would have knowledge that there is nothing apart from itself. it would not hold belief because it isn't lacking in knowledge. belief is not possible to all knowing; if all is absolute. the all would know everything about all, or itself.

THE ALL IS MIND; The Universe is Mental."--The Kybalion.

The Universe May Be Conscious, Say Prominent Scientists

Neuroscience's New Consciousness Theory Is Spiritual | HuffPost

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
yes, please allow me to restate.

it would have knowledge that there is nothing apart from itself. it would not hold belief because it isn't lacking in knowledge. belief is not possible to all knowing; if all is absolute. the all would know everything about all, or itself.

THE ALL IS MIND; The Universe is Mental."--The Kybalion.

The Universe May Be Conscious, Say Prominent Scientists

Neuroscience's New Consciousness Theory Is Spiritual | HuffPost
But knowledge is a type of belief.

a belief/disbelief in something doesn't equate to the lack of belief.

a negative belief is still a belief. like a negative integer is still an integer, or matter vs anti-matter, or light energy vs dark energy.

one is simply the lack of the other along a spectrum.

a starting lineup doesn't require a runner. a door doesn't require someone to always be walking through it.
Is an empty hole a type of puddle?