• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God and Atheism

Thief

Rogue Theologian
having become self aware.....to say....I AM!

belief would be right there

How could He say?....I AM!
and then say He doesn't believe in Himself

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
If you think your god is a theist, what god does your god believe in?

You are off the OP with a non-sequitur. De facto God is a theist. And only people ignorant of the scriptures who also know I'm a Christian and adhere to the scripture don't know that God swears/vows by Himself in the Bible.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
the personality is temporal and illusory, yes. the personality has had many forms throughout its time/space anamoly.

That would de facto exclude you from any negative or positive comment about Deity as having any objective content of worth.

Instead, you could take Jesus's words as authoritative based on His resurrection from death!

jonathan180iq

I believe that I exist, though I do not believe that I am a god, inspite of the fact that I can create, reject, have joy, be jealous, command, influence, kill, etc... The fact that some might view me as a god does not necessarily mean that I am a theist, does it?

Why would God be any different?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
it is written.....Ye ARE gods

a bit of a twist
I don't feel like a god

maybe a god in training

leibowde84

Veteran Member
well the problem lies here in the fact that God is often projected as something other than self. the Absolute, or All, would not project something as separate because this would then create a duality.
Nevertheless, if God believes he exists, God is a theist.
again an absolute would not hold belief being All knowing, or knowing itself.

i'm not addressing the rest of the post because it shows that atheists hold beliefs, in this aspect then the All, as another poster has shown, would not be an atheist because it would not hold a positive/negative belief because of knowing all.

so the All would be neither a theist, or an atheist, in reality but might itself imagine/pretend to be so.
If God doesn't believe he, himself, exists (regardless of the reasoning), God would be an atheist. You are overcomplicating the meaning of theist and atheist. They are extremely general terms.

siti

Would God be an atheist?
How could an omniscient God not even have contemplated his own non-existence? How could an omniscient God not know what it was like to exist in a reality in which there was no God? How could an omniscient God not know what it was like not to exist? Of course God would be an atheist - or else he isn't God.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
How could an omniscient God not even have contemplated his own non-existence? How could an omniscient God not know what it was like to exist in a reality in which there was no God? How could an omniscient God not know what it was like not to exist? Of course God would be an atheist - or else he isn't God.
Alternately, how could an omniscient God not believe in God? How could God have not contemplated its existence and come to a positive conclusion? How could God disbelieve in itself? God must be a theist.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
all knowing wouldn't leave room for belief. might leave room for the illsuion, or pretense of belief, but belief would ultimately not be possible in ALL pervading.

belief is without full knowledge, or all knowledge of the thing believed. belief is like a lie, it must contain some part of truth in order to be..

siti

all knowing wouldn't leave room for belief.
All-knowing would necessarily incorporate all beliefs. If God did not know what it is like to exist as an atheist (or theist, or deist or pantheist or agnostic...whatever) - regardless of how near to (or far away from) the "truth" these beliefs are, then she is not all-knowing and millions of mortal humans have access to knowledge that is denied God. If there is a God (worthy of the title) she has not only to know intimately the beliefs of every human that ever existed but also hold them - all of them simultaneously and continuously.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
All-knowing would necessarily incorporate all beliefs. If God did not know what it is like to exist as an atheist (or theist, or deist or pantheist or agnostic...whatever) - regardless of how near to (or far away from) the "truth" these beliefs are, then she is not all-knowing and millions of mortal humans have access to knowledge that is denied God. If there is a God (worthy of the title) she has not only to know intimately the beliefs of every human that ever existed but also hold them - all of them simultaneously and continuously.

this creates a duality, or idea of separateness. you can't know all and believe something at the same time. incorporating all beliefs as a pretense, or knowingly imagined as false, maybe. to know and believe are not synonyms even as a human. knowing would cancel out belief.

Belief
Meaning "conviction of the truth of a proposition or alleged fact without knowledge" is by 1530s; it is also "sometimes used to include the absolute conviction or certainty which accompanies knowledge"

Know
"inside information," 1883, in in the know, from know (v.) Earlier it meant "knowledge, fact of knowing" (1590s).

know is in opposition to belief.

Last edited:

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
You are off the OP with a non-sequitur. De facto God is a theist. And only people ignorant of the scriptures who also know I'm a Christian and adhere to the scripture don't know that God swears/vows by Himself in the Bible.
Interesting how you are completely unable to get outside your tiny little box.

David T

Premium Member
If they believe in themselves, then they're not atheists. :)
If they believe in themselves, then they're not atheists. :)
Ha awesome!!!
I saunter the forests often
there are no atheists just poachers
there are no believers just poachers,
there are no agnostics just poachers
All of em agree,
being a poacher, is a very fine
thing indeed!!

Hug a tree it may hug you back. If you are lucky and looney as me.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Interesting how you are completely unable to get outside your tiny little box.

Call you out for goal post shifting and using a non sequitur, on the contrary, shows a facility of logic which is outside a box.

It is the atheist, the skeptic who has a hundred boxes for God, including:

* If He's good, why must I suffer for even three seconds?

* If He loves us, how can He still be an impartial judge?

* Why is life so hard?