• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

GMTA?

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Great minds think alike?

No, great minds think divergently; it's the sheep that all think alike.

In this age of the internet its somebody already thought it. I don't know how many times I googled and original idea to find someone else already had it. All thoughts are already out there so your thinking like somebody.

Axe Elf

Prophet
In this age of the internet its somebody already thought it. I don't know how many times I googled and original idea to find someone else already had it. All thoughts are already out there so your thinking like somebody.

Maybe those thoughts just weren't as great as you thought they were.

Spideymon77

A Smiling Empty Soul
That really depends on people's definition of a "Great Mind". What qualifies as features of a "Great Mind"? Is somebody with a "Great Mind" somebody who thinks critically? Surely people who qualify that trait aren't all sheep-like, especially if they come to their own conclusions, but happen to find somebody who agrees with them.

I do agree to some extent though. If you are just following people and agreeing with everything they say, you definitely are a bit sheep-like, especially if the individual you are following is doing the same.

Axe Elf

Prophet
The full saying is
Great minds think alike, though fools seldom differ.

Which changes the meaning quite a bit. I wouldn't take it as an in depth commentary on convergent thought.

Yeah, but people don't commonly cite the full quote; they just whip out the "GMTA" when they say the same thing as someone else.

Someone from my generation would say, "Jinx, Coke, no returns." Today, they say "GMTA," and it always makes me think that just the opposite is true. You both regurgitated some piece of pop culture with which you have been indoctrinated, and think that makes your mind great? Come up with something original, like great minds throughout the centuries have done, and THEN you'll have a great mind.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Yeah, but people don't commonly cite the full quote; they just whip out the "GMTA" when they say the same thing as someone else.

Someone from my generation would say, "Jinx, Coke, no returns." Today, they say "GMTA," and it always makes me think that just the opposite is true. You both regurgitated some piece of pop culture with which you have been indoctrinated, and think that makes your mind great? Come up with something original, like great minds throughout the centuries have done, and THEN you'll have a great mind.

Oh, people...don't go listening to them. Have you ever met one? Not exactly Einstein. Well, with one obvious exception.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I did agree.....but I have been divergent all of my life

I think they made a movie about it

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
For a given question, there’s often only one correct solution, but infinitely many ways of being wrong.

Anna Karenina principle - Wikipedia
I agree with you on this. It is contextual. When dealing in certainties, based on given facts, most everyone with the intellectual capacity beyond a carrot, will (largely) agree. When things involve uncertainties, that is when you will have widely diverging opinions. On the facts, most will agree.

So the OP is both right and wrong, depending on circumstances.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I agree with you on this. It is contextual. When dealing in certainties, based on given facts, most everyone with the intellectual capacity beyond a carrot, will (largely) agree. When things involve uncertainties, that is when you will have widely diverging opinions. On the facts, most will agree.

So the OP is both right and wrong, depending on circumstances.
you are a sheep