• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Girl, 6, Handcuffed in school because of temper tantrum.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Did anyone think maybe the parents should have been called instead? Geeze! Am I the only one here that thinks it is a parent's job, not the state's, to raise a child?

Seems to me that the parents refused to go to discuss with the school their demon spawns disruptive behavior.
Of course, this is based upon what little information is in the article.

Problem is that the parents are not doing their job.
Unless you find that not teaching a child what is and is not acceptable public behavior is acceptable parenting.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Did anyone think maybe the parents should have been called instead? Geeze! Am I the only one here that thinks it is a parent's job, not the state's, to raise a child?

Yes, it's the parents' job, but the problem is that way too many parents are irresponsible, incompetent and had no business breeding in the first place.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Frankly, I would be putting the parents under the microscope on this one. What have they done to the child that precipitates this kind of unacceptable and highly antisocial behavior? Why are the parents playing the victim card rather than trying to help their child, who at this point in her young life, is the direct result of their lack of parenting skills.

McBell

How many days of the week should the school have to spend with this little girl having a meltdown in the principles office notifying the parents and waiting for them to pick her up?
One time.
Not one time a week, not one time a month, one time. period.
After that if the parents cannot or will not get the problem fixed, then the school should be able to refuse to let the child on the premises until such time as they are not going to be disruptive.

Kerr

Seems to me that the main difference is that your parents actually cared and took steps.

Sounds to me as though the parents of that brat refuse to do anything about it other than excuse it as a "temper problem".

To bad schools ain't allowed to use tasers....
I also went to a special school, one that had more competence dealing with children like me.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
It was just a way to put it.

And there are many solutions one can take. When I went to school I was a real wild child. They even gave me a personal assistant because I had such problems with restraint. But no handcuffs.

That isnt "many solutions".

Im all for special needs children being given the one on one attention they need and a modified daily school plan..

Here is the problem..the school can not uniliatterrally PLACE children in any special needs program.You have to have round table meetings with multiple staff and the PARENTS have to agree to it ..The child has to go through a battery of testing and qualify for the programs.

If the school does not have a professional on staff to work with the child once the child qualifies already on the premises they can hire one in .

I would suspect thats EXACTLY what the school would have recommended the parents look into .Qualifying the little girl to get special needs attention.

In the MEANTIME their hands are tied the child has to remain in mainstream.Its illegal for them to modify the childs activities or pull them out of mainstream or give them any other kind of special attention without the parents permission or without the child qualifying even with the parents permission.

I cant just go up to the school even as the parent and just "request" my child have a modifed school plan and with that they can act.I have to request my child be tested then after that if they qualify give consent and approval to the plan they come up with.

Love

Dallas

McBell

I also went to a special school, one that had more competence dealing with children like me.
Based upon the article it seems as though the parents are in denial how bad their child's behavior is.

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
Seems to me that the parents refused to go to discuss with the school their demon spawns disruptive behavior.
Of course, this is based upon what little information is in the article.

Problem is that the parents are not doing their job.
Unless you find that not teaching a child what is and is not acceptable public behavior is acceptable parenting.
Yes, it's the parents' job, but the problem is that way too many parents are irresponsible, incompetent and had no business breeding in the first place.
When my stepdaughter was sent home from school, by the nurse, too many times for being sick we were referred to child services. Neither us or the child had done anything wrong, unless being sick is illegal now, yet we still have to fight with them. Any school can call child services and force the parents to either do their job or give up custody. There is no reason to traumatize a child. There is no debate involved once child services is involved. Has anyone gone back to check what kind of dreams the other children are having after this 6 year old was handcuffed and dragged out like a felon?

McBell

There is no debate involved once child services is involved.
I disagree.
But that is a topic for different thread.
I have been on both sides of children services and I most definitely disagree.

Has anyone gone back to check what kind of dreams the other children are having after this 6 year old was handcuffed and dragged out like a felon?
I know.
The way kids are brought up these days they are supposed to find the best way to be the victim.

To bad none of them will take from this situation that the school does not tolerate misbehavior.
No, they will be taught to look for the best way to be the victim.
Even when the situation has nothing to do with them.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..

My first son had some behavioral problems not NEARLY as severe as what you describe your self as or the way this little girl is described and I went to MANY MANY many meetings that involved many staff members and the special needs dept was sent in and I had him tested and he qualified for a modified school plan.He was main stream still they just incorporated a special plan for him.

My 3rd child was having academic difficulty in one area that was a problem enough that again at the schools recommendation I had a battery of test done on him and they found a learning "differnce' in one part of the reading area and again he was afforded a modified program in that area of academics where he recieved daily one on on time for part of the day they also gave him more time to complete some tasks in the class room..they also did things like shorten his requirements on spelling test..weekly spelling test he had 10 words to memorize as opposed to 20 etc...It was a developmental delay that he eventually "grew out of" and was taken out of the program and he in fact ironically excels in that area now.

But in both cases the schools could do absolutley nothing without my approval and permission and my regular involvment .I had to go to several meetings a year including at the end of the year retesing the child to get apporoved to be in the program for the next grade level ..Or to agree to remove them from it..and AGREE to their suggestions for what type of modification they thought he woudl benefit from.

Love

Dallas

Last edited:

Kerr

Based upon the article it seems as though the parents are in denial how bad their child's behavior is.
Didn´t say otherwise. The parents sound incompetent, but I have not read the entire article, so I don´t know. I just said I went to a different school that had a different way of teaching and a different way to relate to the children and so. It was a Montesory school, I think it is called, and the one I went to just happened to have very good and competent teachers (yes, I really liked that school, so I have high thoughts of it :p).

Last edited:

Kerr

My first son had some behavioral problems not NEARLY as severe as what you describe your self as or the way this little girl is described and I went to MANY MANY many meetings that involved many staff members and the special needs dept was sent in and I had him tested and he qualified for a modified school plan.He was main stream still they just incorporated a special plan for him.

My 3rd child was having academic difficulty in one area that was a problem enough that again at the schools recommendation I had a battery of test done on him and they found a learning "differnce' in one part of the reading area and again he was afforded a modified program in that area of academics where he recieved daily one on on time for part of the day they also gave him more time to complete some tasks in the class room..they also did things like shorten his requirements on spelling test..weekly spelling test he had 10 words to memorize as opposed to 20 etc...It was a developmental delay that he eventually "grew out of" and was taken out of the program and he in fact ironically excels in that area now.

But in both cases the schools could do absolutley nothing without my approval and permission and my regular involvment .I had to go to several meetings a year including at the end of the year retesing the child to get apporoved to be in the program for the next grade level ..Or to agree to remove them from it..and AGREE to their suggestions for what type of modification they thought he woudl benefit from.

Love

Dallas
My difficulties where the result of a disorder I suffer from, ADHD. Had literally no impulse control as a child, I was extremely hyperactive and if I was uninterested in a subject it would just go out of my other ear the moment I learned it. Don´t think my school went behind my parents back, they did talk about it and all to find out a way to help me. Guess I was just lucky :shrug:.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Didn´t say otherwise. The parents sound incompetent, but I have not read the entire article, so I don´t know. I just said I went to a different school that had a different way of teaching and a different way to relate to the children and so. It was a Montesory school, I think it is called, and the one I went to just happened to have very good and competent teachers (yes, I really liked that school, so I have high thoughts of it :p).

And thats what you deserved and thats what this little girl deserves.Its not right that as bad as the situation sounds this little girls parents are sweeping it under the rug and blowing it off as if its somehow "just the way she is " and there is nothing wrong going on.

Its not easy to admit your child is having emotional problems or isnt socializing in a normal or expected way but that just too bad.

Im glad you recieved the attention you needed ..:)

Love

Dallas

Kerr

And thats what you deserved and thats what this little girl deserves.Its not right that as bad as the situation sounds this little girls parents are sweeping it under the rug and blowing it off as if its somehow "just the way she is " and there is nothing wrong going on.

Its not easy to admit your child is having emotional problems or isnt socializing in a normal or expected way but that just too bad.

Im glad you recieved the attention you needed ..:)

Love

Dallas
And to be fair, my judgement is largely based on talking to my mother. Have come to trust her when it comes to this (she has after all worked with children for about 20 years).

And thanks, I know I have been lucky. Just wish more children where as well :(.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Oh and its "Montessori"

My first son went their for kindergarten.Its not specifically a school for special needs children its a private school.

Love

Dallas

Kerr

Oh and its "Montessori"

My first son went their for kindergarten.Its not specifically a school for special needs children its a private school.

Love

Dallas
I know, it has just worked very well with me. Then again I am a bit biased, since I liked it :p.

One bad thing about Montessori, though... I have never remember how to spell it! At last in English, but that is maybe because I never have talked about it that much before... But maybe now I can remember it, lol.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
I disagree.
But that is a topic for different thread.
I have been on both sides of children services and I most definitely disagree.

I know.
The way kids are brought up these days they are supposed to find the best way to be the victim.

To bad none of them will take from this situation that the school does not tolerate misbehavior.
No, they will be taught to look for the best way to be the victim.
Even when the situation has nothing to do with them.

I would rather if my child was in the throws of a rage be restrained by a police officer and brought home to me where then I COULD take steps to find out how to get help than have CPS breathing down my back.

But if after the school sent me that kind of message that it was that serious of a situation with my child if I didnt act then I would expect to be reported to CPS.

It should be a wake up call for them.The little girl is obviously suffering and in emotional pain or has something organically wrong with her to be acting that way and to ingore it or minimize it is neglect.

Love

Dallas

StarChaser

Wow I can not believe my eyes when anyone thinkg it is okay to put a 6 year old child in handcuffs for any reason.Its a child for the love of all Gods.How much harm was she gonna do to a police officer that she couldn't be taken out without cuffs that left marks on her.And why was the mom or dad not called instead of the police.Every child throws a fit at one time or another but to have them commited for it is retarded!

Last edited:

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
It could be as simple as the parents have let her get her way by throwing temper tantrums.What good is letting her continue to throw these fits and the end result is she gets to go home early because of it?Then no consequneces or solutions just straight back to school.Think maybe she is smart enough to have figured out if she throws a fit and wont give up eventually she gets to go home?

I would also be very concerned as a parent as well that her education is being interupted/delayed.

All the information out now days from the experts they all agree.You have to start when they are itty bitty ingoring their temper tantrums.

Of course Im just speculating but I wonder if her parents because of the "my poor victim baby" attitude have given her what she wanted all her life if she stomped her feet hard enough to get her to shut up.Or if she got attention that way even if it was negative attention or both.

Love

Dallas

McBell

Wow I can not believe my eyes when anyone thinkg it is okay to put a 6 year old child in handcuffs for any reason.
Yeah, handcuffs should be banned ll together!
Just think of all the trauma people get from seeing someone dragged off in them!