1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gina Carano discussing Nazis, what am I missing here?

Discussion in 'Political Debates' started by icehorse, Feb 11, 2021.

1. Stevicus

Stevicus Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12,020
    Religion:
    Agnostic
    So, it's only a matter of how much of a following they have? I'm not sure I see it that way. Even if it's a low level employee at McDonald's, if they say or do something outrageous, there might be pressure on McDonald's to fire them. It's not something that only happens to famous people, although social media has made a lot of nobodies into rather infamous people.

But to be honest, I wasn't even aware that Gina Carano existed before this incident. The outrage and subsequent termination of her employment was what made it into a much bigger deal. That brings them even more attention.

I also don't think that being famous on the internet gives people that much "power." I think that level of celebrity "power" is only reserved for a select few. The Beatles or Elvis might have had power, but the Cowsills or the Partridge Family - not so much, even if they were famous and had some measure of a public following. If someone is a superstar and a proven moneymaker, they're not going to throw them under the bus that easily. But for those who are more at the second or third tier, it's a different story.

2. Kooky

Kooky Freedom from Sanity

Ratings:
    +912
    Well, some people believe that money equals power, and being famous is usually an indicator of a very economically successful career, so I can see why people would assume that superstar millionaires would have more power than your average supermarket cashier.

3. Revoltingest

Revoltingest I have the kavorka
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +64,568
    Religion:
    Atheist
    I doubt that gender plays a role here.
    And she does have 4 years of college (psych major).
    The problem isn't the various descriptions of her.
    It's that she says things unacceptable in her chosen
    field, ie, entertainment.

4. Lyndon

Lyndon "Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,307
    Religion:
    Theism+Jesus(pbuh) influenced by....... Taoism and Buddhism
    Well you've got to figure downplaying the holocaust and calling half of America Nazis isn't going to go over very well in Hollywood, she should have known better.

5. 9-10ths_Penguin

9-10ths_Penguin 1/10 Subway Stalinist
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +18,066
    Religion:
    None (atheist)
    Freedom of speech isn't freedom from consequences.

She lost her job because she behaved like a jerk online. She wasn't imprisoned by the state for what she said. Freedom of speech is intact.

6. icehorse

icehorse Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,189
    Religion:
    spiritual anti-theist : )
    Intact so far. But the PC police are actively trying to impose "a chilling affect" on opinions they don't like. Let me ask you this, how is this situation much different than the Hollywood blacklisting that went on in the 50s?

7. Revoltingest

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +64,568
    Religion:
    Atheist
    1950s blacklisting was also government driven.
    And ferreting out commies was more aggressive.

8. Saint Frankenstein

Saint Frankenstein Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +19,010
    Religion:
    Christian
    People are too damn touchy these days. They actually look for excuses to be offended. Even if you think it's distasteful, there is nothing about it that warrants being fired over it. However, this is obviously just a PR move by a greedy corporation. Same thing happened to James Gunn, and you can't possibly tell me that they didn't know what sort of person he was before they fired him. At this point, people in the public eye shouldn't even have social media because they could lose it all over a damn tweet.

#48 Saint Frankenstein, Feb 25, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  9. Kooky

Ratings:
    +912
    Unless we are talking about "White behavior", of course.

10. 9-10ths_Penguin

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +18,066
    Religion:
    None (atheist)
    They're not handing over their money for people, companies or products they don't like. What's the issue with that?

Do you think Gina Carano is entitled to viewership? Is she entitled to continued employment in Hollywood?

Actors' employment is precarious. An actor can lose their job through no fault of their own; why do you think someone who went out of their way to alienate her show's fan base should get some sort of special protection?

Are you serious?

Do you really see yourself as some sort of martyr here?

11. 9-10ths_Penguin

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +18,066
    Religion:
    None (atheist)
    My take: anyone who complains about how Gina Carano or James Gunn has been treated but didn't say a peep about the blacklisting of people like Rose McGowan, Mira Sorvino, or Ashley Judd isn't actually interested in fairness for actors.

12. Saint Frankenstein

Saint Frankenstein Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +19,010
    Religion:
    Christian
    Well, that's because those discussions tend to be racist.

13. Kooky

Ratings:
    +912
    People are too damn touchy these days.

14. Stevicus

Stevicus Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12,020
    Religion:
    Agnostic
    Yeah, that seems to be the case nowadays. I still remember the bawdy 70s when nothing was sacred, people used to let it all hang out.

15. icehorse

icehorse Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,189
    Religion:
    strawman much?

Where on earth did THAT come from? You gotta help me connect a few dots here..

This isn't at all about me, this is about free speech. And please, let's skip the basics. I understand that there is no guarantee of platform and that there are consequences. But given the degree to which media is run by very few people, do we really want those few to be the arbiters of which views can get air time and which cannot?

16. Kooky

Ratings:
    +912
    Air time is a limited resource. At some point, you have to figure out who gets how much of it. In a mature capitalist economic system like we have here in the West, this role typically falls to a number of large, concentrated corporations, typically controlled by private shareholders or singular private owners.

17. icehorse

icehorse Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,189
    Religion:
    Yup, that's our situation. I just think it puts free speech at risk, and that's intolerable.

18. Kooky

Ratings:
    +912
    "Free speech", in the context of liberal capitalism, is the freedom of the capitalist owner of media to not have their business be censored by a government. Capitalists and private companies have all the freedom to decide who gets to speak how, for how long, and to whom, and under liberal capitalism, that's a sufficient amount of freedom for everyone.

19. Revoltingest

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +64,568
    Religion:
    Atheist
    In Ameristan (which is a capitalist country) one can express
    offensive liberal opinions & offensive conservative opinions.
    One need only pick a compatible venue. This is a freedom
    not typically available in non-capitalist countries.

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. icehorse

icehorse Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,189
    Religion:
    Of course, up to the last bit (bolded), in practice what you say is true. But the bolded bit is most certainly NOT true. It is - for the time being - sufficient for the oligarchs, but in the long run, it'll bite them in the keester too.

One question that recurs these days os how to consider the big social media players. I believe that they should be treated like public utilities and NOT allowed censorship powers beyond what the law allows.