• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Giada, the inner beauty thing is just nonsense"

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Most people I've known who may have once ignored inner beauties grew out of that stage in their development by the time they got into their mid-twenties at the latest. Most, but not all. The ones who didn't tended to end up dysfunctional when it came to relationships.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member

My knowledge of Italy is limited to my ancestral enemy of Caesar, his legions, and legacy, and Super Mario Bros. So I don't know what the rules there are.

But in the US, it's no rule. The only rule is that different people see beauty in different places, and that long-term relationships are based more on love and commitment than either inner or outer beauty.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
Beauty is too subjective to be useful. And if we're using "beauty" here as a synonym for "arousing" or "stimulating", then it becomes even more subjective. I say this as someone who is a part of a fetish that tends to be treated with utter disdain and as someone who just loves how human sexuality can find anything stimulating.

As others have stated, being attractive has certain perks, namely it makes initiating the relationship easier because you're 'pulled' towards that which you'd like to sleep with. That's not anything to be ashamed of, that's how we're wired. We're animals. We want to **** things. Preferably as many things as possible. Which is why I think fetishes are integral to human sexuality. We're the only animal who has any real say in how we choose to look to others.

Let's take my fetish. I like larger women. It's the feminine form writ large(goddamnit****ingpuns). That's the only type of body that does anything for me downstairs. Any other woman or feminine man, I need additional stimulation(power, pain, blood & shame).

In short this movie is bull**** AND insulting to both women and men. There is a baseline "makes me horny" body-type for both sides, yes. But that's only the collective average. The lowest common denominator.

Last edited:

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member

In short this movie is bull**** AND insulting to both women and men. There is a baseline "makes me horny" body-type for both sides, yes. But that's only the collective average. The lowest common denominator.

How can a movie that portrays reality be insulting?
maybe it's reality which is insulting

and by the way, reality doesn't exclude the presence of numerous exceptions

Last edited:

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
How can a movie that portrays reality be insulting?
maybe it's reality which is insulting

and by the way, reality doesn't exclude the presence of numerous exceptions
I think this is portraying your ideas more than anything to do with reality.
The reality the movie portrays would not appear to be anywhere near as universal as some might suppose.
This.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I think this is portraying your ideas more than anything to do with reality.

Firstly I just showed people here that, on the basis of the Youtube comments, more than the 50 % of people who watched it agree that inner beauty is worth nothing in our reality.
Secondly, this implies that people who believe in inner beauty are a minority.
Thirdly: answer me sincerely; let's pretend that the story of the movie is real. Would you suggest that girl not to change her looks?
I assume you have already seen the pictures (before and after)

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
Firstly I just showed people here that, on the basis of the Youtube comments, more than the 50 % of people who watched it agree that inner beauty is worth nothing in our reality.
Secondly, this implies that people who believe in inner beauty are a minority.
Thirdly: answer me sincerely; let's pretend that the story of the movie is real. Would you suggest that girl not to change her looks?
She's not my type to begin with, so I'm not terribly interested in how she chooses to dress.

Riverwolf

Premium Member

Youtube comments represent some of the worst people on the internet, and not representative of humanity as a whole.

Besides, argumentum ad numerum.

Yes. I would suggest she take pride in who she is and screw what other people say or think.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Yes. I would suggest she take pride in who she is and screw what other people say or think.

yes....if all Italian women took this decision, my country would turn into the homeland of spinsters.

Besides, when I see a handsome man marrying a ugly girl for her "inner beauty", I will say that this movies is unrealistic. I won't, until then.

Last edited:

Riverwolf

Premium Member
yes....if all women took this decision, my country would be the homeland of spinsters.

I had to look up what that term meant; I've never heard it before.

And I say nay. It's more likely that this concept of "spinster" wouldn't exist. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Drolefille

PolyPanGeekGirl
yes....if all Italian women took this decision, my country would turn into the homeland of spinsters.
Yeah, no.

You're saying that you refuse to say what your opinion is, but.. you've said it, a lot.

You cannot even speak for Italy. You don't speak for Sicily. You don't speak for women or men, or gay men or straight men and certainly not for the bisexual men you think so poorly of.

Speak for you, but the rest of us really don't want your words as evidenced by every. post.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Yeah, no.

You're saying that you refuse to say what your opinion is, but.. you've said it, a lot.

You cannot even speak for Italy. You don't speak for Sicily. You don't speak for women or men, or gay men or straight men and certainly not for the bisexual men you think so poorly of.

Speak for you, but the rest of us really don't want your words as evidenced by every. post.

I don't think I have something to do with straight men. it's not my fault if all the men I've met prefer pretty women. Most of them prefer to be single than being in a relationship with an ugly girl.

I wonder why I never meet these kind men who seek the inner beauty in a woman

Riverwolf

Premium Member
I don't think I have something to do with straight men. it's not my fault if all the men I've met prefer pretty women. Most of them prefer to be single than being in a relationship with an ugly girl.

I wonder why I never meet these kind men who seek the inner beauty in a woman

You have met them. You're talking to them right here on this forum.

It's unwise to use your own personal experience as the sole basis for judging how people are, especially when it runs contrary to those of so many others.

You say I'm an exception; but from my own experience, yours is by far the exception. Certainly, you're the first person I've ever met who holds your view.

illykitty

RF's pet cat
Very unrealistic and a very immature point of view. Only a teenager (or someone of that mental age) would think it's realistic.

Youtube comments represent immature tweens/teens and trolls that have nothing else to do with their lives. I wouldn't give any truth to it at all.

No one I know thinks this way. I've never seen anyone think this way in real life.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
This title is between brackets because it is a quotation from an Italian movie Come tu mi vuoi (transl. As you want me to look like).
It tells the story of a college girl named Giada who falls in love with a college young man. She does't care much about her looks, and she defends the importance of inner beauty.
This guys seems to like her, but then she finds out that he's ashamed of going out with her, because he doesn't want to be ridiculed by his friends (who think that Giada is really ugly and uncool) .
Then she decides to change her looks after her roommate tells her: Ah, Giada, the inner beauty story is pure bull...it. Only beautiful people can like each other. It's natural selection.

and in fact she changes her looks totally. This movie suggests us that inner beauty unfortunately is not sufficient in the world we live in

here is the before and after

before
cristiana-capotondi-in-una-scena-di-come-tu-mi-vuoi-48876.jpg

after
cristiana-capotondi-in-una-scena-di-come-tu-mi-vuoi-48872.jpg

thoughts?

Or that she was an idiot for giving that much of a crap as to his thoughts.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
You have met them. You're talking to them right here on this forum.

It's unwise to use your own personal experience as the sole basis for judging how people are, especially when it runs contrary to those of so many others.

You say I'm an exception; but from my own experience, yours is by far the exception. Certainly, you're the first person I've ever met who holds your view.

all right... I meant "meet in real life."
I would like to be able to read a male mind. I wonder why all the males of my town have always drooled over my sister, whereas none of them have ever given a s**t about my classmate Chiara-
my sister has always taken care of her looks. Chiara hasn't

so these extremes scare me

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I didn't understand what you mean by "take"-

What I mean when I say that is "what is your interpretation...what are your thoughts...how relevant do you think this is....will audiences find meaning and benefit from it?"

You didn't answer the question: "do you really think that stories like this are unreal?"

I already covered that with my initial response with "adolescent". Whether or not it happens in real life, the plot and character arc are both adolescent. Stories like this are appealing to the mind of someone who hasn't fully formed their pre-frontal cortex. It caters to immature notions of what relationships look like and how they ought to progress.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
all right... I meant "meet in real life."
I would like to be able to read a male mind. I wonder why all the males of my town have always drooled over my sister, whereas none of them have ever given a s**t for my classmate Chiara-
my sister has always taken care of her looks. Chiara hasn't

so these extremes scare me

Have you spoken to all the males of your town? Every single one?