• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Getting to the truth of religious matters.

Silver

Just maybe
Is the central message of all religions love, peace & friendship?

Last edited:

Silver

Just maybe
Who's idea was the Shark or the Black Widow Spider?
He who also created Love, peace & friendship?
Why would he want to do that?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member

No. Not even necessarily most of them, given what a "central message" constitutes can be disputed. I would be loathe to oversimplify my path into a single "central message."

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
Humans are a part of nature.
So is love, peace & friendship natural?

Yes they are biologicaly nessacary to a social animal the problem arises trying to uses these on large groups.instead of the tribal level

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Yes, that would be the real world application of religions.

Then why the alligators, tigers and sharks?
Let me start by saying there's the animal kingdom and above that is the divine kingdoms. Animals live in the animal kingdom. Each species finds its best way to thrive and reproduce itself. Carnivorous animals found their niche to thrive in.
Man is the most advanced animal. He is transitioning from the animal level to the divine level. The teachings of religions (love, peace & friendship) are what propel the transition.

Skwim

Veteran Member

Central Message: If you don't believe as we say, bad **** is going to befall you.

Last edited:

George-ananda

Premium Member
Central Message: If you don't believe as we say, bad **** is going to befall you.

Try to realize the old-fashioned 'fire and brimstone' mentality is so first half of last century.....It seems non-believers talk about that kind of message more than believers.

Last edited:

outhouse

Atheistically

Nope, has it ever been that?

ancient mens mythology, was never a "feel good" experiance

it was born out of hardship, oppression, need and want all based on the human emotional experience from barbaric times.

George-ananda

Premium Member
Nope, has it ever been that?

ancient mens mythology, was never a "feel good" experiance

it was born out of hardship, oppression, need and want all based on the human emotional experience from barbaric times.

The OP was talking about religious messages in 2012 AD. And I basically agree with the OP. It has evolved from ancient times.

NIX

Daughter of Chaos

Only to people who wear love, peace and friendship glasses to their 'reading' of every religion. Some people never take them off. It doesn't appeal to me, but to each his own. (I prefer individuality and self empowerment glasses. :p)

Skwim

Veteran Member
Try to realize the old-fashioned 'fire and brimstone' mentality is so first half of last century.....It seems non-believers talk about that kind of message more than believers.
Not fire and brimstone at all, just the fact that all religions (Shintoism being a possible exception) emphasize that if you don't get in line with their beliefs you're going to pay for it. A few examples:

JUDAISM:
"Only truly righteous souls ascend directly to Gan Eden, say the sages. The average person descends to a place of punishment and/or purification, generally referred to as Gehinnom."
source

CHRISTIANITY:
"The New Testament of the Christian Bible promises the faithful eternal life. The blessed inherit "the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world" (Matt. 25:34)
If faith is the way to heaven, hell begins even before death, when the faithless soul endures isolation and disorientation."
source

ISLAM:
"Muslims, no matter how bad they were, will win Paradise as their Ultimate Reward after they receive their punishment.
As for the Disbelievers, beside from the punishment of their bad deeds that they committed in life, it seems that Allah Almighty Will give them extra punishment for disbelieving in Him or in Joining partners with Him, such as Paganism and Trinity; "They do blaspheme who say: 'Allah is Christ the son of Mary.' But said Christ: 'O Children of Israel! Worship Allah, my Lord and your Lord.' Whoever joins other gods with Allah - Allah will forbid him the Garden, and the Fire will be his abode. There will for the wrongdoers be no one to help. (The Holy Quran, 5:72)"
source

HINDUISM:
"According to the Upanishads, our actions connect us to this world of appearances, which is in fact illusory. What is real is Brahman, the ultimate reality that transcends our sensory experiences. Unfortunately, we live in ignorance of Brahman and act according to our illusions. This action (karma) causes us to participate in the cycle of death and rebirth (samsara – see next section) from which it’s difficult to escape. Thus, if you can escape your ignorance and realize that ultimately you are not you but Brahman itself, then you can achieve release from the cycle of death and rebirth. This release is called moksha."
source

BUDDHISM:
"We believe…. spiritual rebirth is the direct result of awakening and entrusting ourselves (shinjin) to our transcending One Life
We believe… without severing blind passions, one attains Nirvana. Spiritual rebirth through the nembutsu allows us to live at the juncture of the historical and ultimate dimensions; this corresponds to Shinran’s statement, “I am neither monk nor layman.”

We believe…eternal salvation is here and now, and regardless of your race, gender, moral status, age, religion, intelligence or education, all can experience this inner reality by just awakening to and entrusting themselves in the One Life, and voicing the nembutsu."
source

ZOROASTRIANSIM:
"[Chinvat]The Bridge of Separation, as it’s also known, is the one that all people must walk after they die. For the righteous it broadens and leads to a beautiful maiden, but for the less than righteous, it turns on its side and becomes like a razor."
source

Edited to note: These religions cover 75% of the world's population.

Last edited:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
To me, the core message of religions is "This is our best guess about how to deal with the crazy loops in the human mind that result in various blind spots, prejudices, stupid predispositions, and moonbat lunacies. Enjoy!"