• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Getting from cause effect to awareness

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You are storing information that can be recovered in this setup.
You are not storing the information in the qubit that can be recovered. A qubit is, as you know, like storing in one bit both the state 0 and the state 1 (ok, it's more than that but the exciting part of quantum computing is exploiting superposition, and representing a qubit as being in two states is the easiest way to get that across). The most obvious problem with trying to make some memory system out of this is that it can't be accessed in this superposition state. That's the A in RAM, but when you access the information in a qubit you force it to assume one and only one state. The "information" that was the superposition state is no more. Less obvious, at least for those not familiar with quantum computing, is that one cannot represent data this way. For those familiar with (at least some elementary) computer design principles, we can think for a minute about the difference between RAM and the CPU (that is, processing and memory). Computer memory is storage because we force bits to be in one of two possible states. Data is represented by sequences of these binary states. We can access it because the bits stay in these states until the data is altered or deleted (or damaged, but we're thinking idealizations here). Let's imagine that we could reliably store qubits in multiple ion traps. Ok, how do we make them represent data? We can't, not in the way required of memory. A qubit here is has state |0> = |g> or the ground state and |1> = |e> or the excited state. But the necessary spin states for a qubit only last for about a second. Even if they could last forever, we cannot use them for representation of data because we cannot access states without forcing the system to have a specific state. We can use the internal state n with m (the external state given by the vibrational quantum number) only by first forcing the particular electron orbitals governed by quantum hamiltonians and then having them decay. The decay is the essential part as it is what gives us information. However, it only does so randomly by giving us one or the other state but not both, and neither state is yielded according to any deterministic process. This is useful if we have quantum logic gates. It is useless if we wish to represent something as simple as an integer because we do not know what value we will get when we try to access it.

You recover it by either physically transporting the ion out of the trap, or teleporting its state into another part of the machine.
You cannot recover it because it will decay.

Last edited:

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Having the multiple states gets us to a point where it can be similar to the way our brains memory works
Our brains work like this in that our brains are physical and thus governed by QM like everything else, and it works like the brain in that there is no memory storage. However, quantum computers are pretty much like regular computers. The difference is that they can exploit probabilistic computation by virtue of being in multiple states yet yielding only one state and because they allow us to perform multiple calculations at once in a much smaller area. It is very likely that quantum computing will be used almost entirely for cryptography. One of the few algorithms that exists that show what quantum computing can do is for factoring primes, which can be used to crack crypto systems, but more important than current algorithms are the fact that quantum communication could be the ultimate secure communication.

The downside, apart from the physical realization of quantum computing, is that we are still computing. That is, we are just running calculations on some system. We may not be using the kind of architecture in your laptop or desktop, but we are using mostly the same logic. Basically, apart from encryption, quantum computing just does the same but faster. It's easy to get caught up on the fact that it's "quantum", but really we're just forcing a different kind of system to do calculations. That won't help us simulate biological systems. It seems, although this is still contentious, that living systems do not use computable models and thus it doesn't matter how advanced computing gets nothing that is equivalent to a Turing machine (which quantum computers are) will be capable of simulating the functionality of living systems.

like when we think car all kinds thoughts pertaining come up simultaneously and this would happen in quantum computing.

This doesn't happen in quantum computing. What happens is a loss of information. The multiple states that can be used in quantum logic gates are useful because they can be in two states at once, yes. However, we cannot use both states. We will always only access a single state. The algorithms exploit this probabilistic access of the kind of massive parallelism quantum computing can have. The brain relies on information being continually represented, while in quantum computing the opposite is true.

Of course once we actually want the answer we measure it, once it has had time to go on a wild goose chase for the answer like the way the mind does.

It doesn't go on a wild goose chase. Algorithms in quantum computing involve equations of motion of quantum systems. In other words, they look a lot like the mathematical representations in papers on quantum physics and not a lot like what you'd see in a computer book. That's because a quantum computer is limited to problems that have a general answer like what are the factors of a specific hundred digit number. These are problems that could be answered using a computer but it would take far, far too long. However, the algorithm is already there. We don't have algorithms when it comes to concepts. We can't develop algorithms for these as algorithms are defined as procedures. They're about syntactic manipulation.

it makes the computer error prone like the mind
Not all errors are equal. The reason the brain is so incredibly efficient at processing concepts does involve error but that error is do to the overlap in physical representation of concepts. The same areas in the brain can be involved in representing thousands of concepts. In quantum computing, the error is due to the fact that it's hard to make qubits be qubits. In the former, the error is a side-effect of what makes conceptual processing possible. In the latter, the error means the thing doesn't work.

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Having the multiple states gets us to a point where it can be similar to the way our brains memory works, like when we think car all kinds thoughts pertaining come up simultaneously and this would happen in quantum computing. We wouldn't be calculating the answer but the possible answers based on multiple states. Of course once we actually want the answer we measure it, once it has had time to go on a wild goose chase for the answer like the way the mind does.

edit: it makes the computer error prone like the mind and could give the ability for the machine to have imagination which is what allows us to think outside the box which is what makes classical computing too rigid cause it can't normally do other than what its programmed.

I was looking around for non-technical articles that related to this and that you might find interesting. There isn't much. Nobody wants to read articles like "Computers can't simulate the mind!" or "New artificial intelligence technology is more of the same!" However, I did find one article that was not only relatively recent (this year) but actually did say pretty much what I have:
The Brain Is Not Computable

idav

Being
Premium Member
I was looking around for non-technical articles that related to this and that you might find interesting. There isn't much. Nobody wants to read articles like "Computers can't simulate the mind!" or "New artificial intelligence technology is more of the same!" However, I did find one article that was not only relatively recent (this year) but actually did say pretty much what I have:
The Brain Is Not Computable
That is an interesting article. It isn't like we are trying to predict what the brain will think. We can certainly program a machine so that we can't predict what it will calculate but that in itself isn't enough. Some things in the brain are computable like the calculation it does, what isn't computable are imaginative things like writing an original poem but that doesn't mean that poem can't be calculated. For example I can use logic and calculation to write an original song and what is helpful is that most components of a song are calculable, it is very hard to find an original idea within a song, it is simply a rearrangement of already used notes and lyrics.

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It isn't like we are trying to predict what the brain will think.

I'm not sure if this is what you are referring to, but just in case it isn't clear "noncomputable" means that no computer even in theory could ever do it. Classical computers, and even quantum computers, are bound by restrictions that are at the heart of computability theory and computer science. They were around mostly before computers existed and answered questions in the fields that made computers possible at all (the algebras of formal logic, set theory, logicism, etc.). They concern what algorithms can and cannot do. All computers, including quantum computers, require algorithms to specify how the computer will implement any given procedures/programs. Gödel and Turing proved that no matter what, there are certain problems for which there is no algorithm such that no computer even if it ran forever could ever use to solve. These are perhaps the most famous examples, but they are no means the only ones.

Gödel's proof is not only complex in and of itself, but also requires a fair amount of background knowledge. Luckily, there's a very simple comparison with the liar's paradox. Rephrasing the actual paradox a bit, it runs as follows: "This sentence is false". In order for a computer to actually compute anything, there must be a way to evaluate every statement in the code. One way to think about such evaluations is in terms of truth (you're a programmer, so you can think of these as functions that take an argument and return either true or false depending upon whatever criteria is dictated by the programmer). For any logical system whatsoever, if we define a way for a computer using that system to decide whether a statement (argument of the function) is true or false, either the computer will never be able to ascribe truth value to that statement, or the system used is incomplete. Gödel extended the logic behind the liar paradox to show that there does not exist any formal system for which all statements can be evaluated.

Turing, in the same paper that practically created computing, showed that no matter how advanced a computer is, there is no algorithm to determine whether an algorithm to find an answer will actually do so or will run forever and never find one.

That's what not computable means. It doesn't concern the technology but the principles, theory, and logical methods used in computing. To get a device to somehow implement a non-computable function would require not just new technology but an entirely new computer science. This doesn't mean we can't construct machines that "run" non-computable models as we are walking and talking examples of machines that do this. But it does make how powerful computers get or how developed quantum computers become irrelevant. All new computer technology is based on the same logic whatever the differences in design. Things may change if we go to biocomputing or discover other technologies that can do who knows what (evaluate functions that aren't well-defined perhaps?), or redesign the same technologies according to entirely new principles (this is unlikely to happen as there really isn't a way to do it, but it could be that next generation computing theory can still utilize some aspects of the physical realizations of current computing theory).

We can certainly program a machine so that we can't predict what it will calculate but that in itself isn't enough.

I don't follow. Can you clarify what you mean here?

Some things in the brain are computable like the calculation it does
Who says it calculates?

For example I can use logic and calculation to write an original song
The issue is whether we, when we use logic or calculate or whatever, are able to do so because of a brain which relies on functions that can't be computed.

Last edited:

PolyHedral

Superabacus Mystic
Gödel and Turing proved that no matter what, there are certain problems for which there is no algorithm such that no computer even if it ran forever could ever use to solve.
That's not quite right. If the computer can run forever, it can do things like "solve" the Halting problem. (Run the program you want to check.) It can't solve the HP in any finite amount of time, even if said amount is arbitarily large.

Gödel extended the logic behind the liar paradox to show that there does not exist any formal system for which all statements can be evaluated.
Godel's incompleteness theorem shows that no formal system can prove every statement. This isn't quite the same thing as evaluating the statement, i.e. decoding it into actual semantics.

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
That's not quite right. If the computer can run forever, it can do things like "solve" the Halting problem.
It can't, because apart from anything else a computer that runs forever never solves anything.

It can't solve the HP in any finite amount of time

In order for a problem to be computable, it must be able to halt in a finite time. Otherwise, it isn't computable.

Godel's incompleteness theorem shows that no formal system can prove every statement.
True enough, but I was trying to simplify. My point wasn't so much to get side-tracked by the details of computability (not that I mind getting sidetracked; it's practically second nature to me), but to explain that there are problems for which the technology itself cannot be the answer to because the problem has to do with the underlying logic.

This isn't quite the same thing as evaluating the statement, i.e. decoding it into actual semantics
But one issue is that a computer cannot decode anything into semantics ("actual semantics"?). Evaluation for a computer means being able to take an argument, run whatever algorithm the function that is intended to evaluate that argument is, and return some output. Any such evaluation can be made equivalent to an output of a value that corresponds to either true or false.

idav

Being
Premium Member
The issue is whether we, when we use logic or calculate or whatever, are able to do so because of a brain which relies on functions that can't be computed.
Not everything in the brain is supposed to be computable. Like when we are writing a poem, how would we expect to compute the next word or rhyme or stanza. You think a problem like that will run forever, it just requires the system to stop at some point since there is no wrong way to write a poem, just about any answer would suffice as long as it fit the rules. Quantum computing could help drastically with things like imagination because the code goes into random mode, picking up arbitrary connections to things allowing it to do other than programmed. Similar to the brain with all the overlapping, allowing us to make connections where there wouldn't normally be any logical connection.

idav

Being
Premium Member
But one issue is that a computer cannot decode anything into semantics ("actual semantics"?).
Semantics is in the eye of the beholder. A computer or machine would see things differently but it would certainly have it's own meaning.

Also single neurons don't decode semantics either. Meaning is some arbitrary thing that means something only to our conscious awareness and means nothing to any of the moving parts in our brains.

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Not everything in the brain is supposed to be computable. Like when we are writing a poem, how would we expect to compute the next word or rhyme or stanza.
You seem to be asserting that when the brain does things we don't think of as calculations then it isn't computing. That's true, but the issue is that the way the brain functions is not computable. In other words, it doesn't matter what one is doing, whether calculus or singing, because even though different regions might be used and so forth the basic mechanisms that allow any and all conscious awareness or understanding are not computable. There is no difference in the methods the brain employs that allow you to write a poem vs. solve a math problem or whatever.

You think a problem like that will run forever, it just requires the system to stop at some point since there is no wrong way to write a poem
I don't think a problem like that will run forever because I don't think everything is ultimately a bunch of algorithms. Only if I make the ontological commitment that all of nature can be reduced to classical computing would this matter. I don't make any such claims.

Quantum computing could help drastically with things like imagination because the code goes into random mode
There is no code. The "code" is the physical manipulations of quantum systems. The algorithm, however, doesn't go into random mode. It can't or it couldn't run any computation. What it can do is allow for a kind of computing that enables algorithms to do things like factor primes faster.

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Semantics is in the eye of the beholder.
What something means is, yes. Meaning itself is not.

Also single neurons don't decode semantics either.
I not only never said it did, I believe I spent some time a while back trying to explain the problem with interpreting neurons as bits or as being aware or as being small units of awareness that add up to the brain. For a simple comparison, think of one very common example of emergence: water. There is nothing about oxygen which is akin to water. Same with hydrogen. However, a combination of them produces something that is not at all the sum of the properties either have. Consciousness cannot be understood by thinking of it as the sum of each separate neuron. It can only be understood, like water, as something which is more than the some of its parts.

idav

Being
Premium Member
What something means is, yes. Meaning itself is not.
I'm not following. Meaning is completely arbitrary and doesn't have a right answer or truth value to compute.

I not only never said it did, I believe I spent some time a while back trying to explain the problem with interpreting neurons as bits or as being aware or as being small units of awareness that add up to the brain. For a simple comparison, think of one very common example of emergence: water. There is nothing about oxygen which is akin to water. Same with hydrogen. However, a combination of them produces something that is not at all the sum of the properties either have. Consciousness cannot be understood by thinking of it as the sum of each separate neuron. It can only be understood, like water, as something which is more than the some of its parts.
With water we are just talking atoms with which reductionism is compatible. It is rather interesting how new properties are able to emerge so that is a good example. I don't take any issue with emergence of consciousness and I do tend to think that the evolutionary ladder shows us some of those properties emerging. Properties don't just come out of thin air, particularly when you have a smaller progressions over a large period of time. When we look at evolutionary evidence we can trace the progression of our intelligence and see the emergence but much of which we share with closely related species due to common ancestry.

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'm not following. Meaning is completely arbitrary and doesn't have a right answer or truth value to compute.
Let's try to look at it a different way. Because it's on my mind for a reason unrelated to this thread, we can think of debates like what it means to be an atheist. Some might say it means that a person actively rejects god and will burn for all eternity. Others might say it means that the person doesn't bother with any superstitious nonsense or supernatural hocus pocus as they are critical thinkers. Most would say it means the person doesn't believe in god. And so on.

In other words, people will disagree over what the word means, as they will with many others. What no one argues is that the word doesn't mean anything at all the way that e.g., the "word" lhihcvn doesn't mean anything.

I'm not saying that words are the only way that one can talk about meaning. Think of Pavlov's dogs. Pavlov never intended the experiment for which he was famous, he was simply feeding the dogs he had for another experiment. However, every time he did so he would ring a bell. He noticed that although the dogs first salivated only when they saw food, they learned to salivate even before seeing the food if they bell rang. The dogs learned to associate whatever concept they held of "food" and "feeding" with the concept of the ringing bell.

The ring of the bell isn't a word, but it had meaning for the dogs. It meant they mealtime.

Once again, we can disagree exactly what concepts the dogs associated hearing the bell, but nobody denies that that this bell was meaningful to the dogs and more importantly, before they associated the bell with food/meal concepts, it had no meaning for them.

That's what I meant. We can disagree over what words or symbols or whatever mean, and we can talk about how what something means to you is different from what it means to me, but to say that meaning itself is not the same for us is to say that there is no meaning. Basically, we can speak of the way things means differs, not meaning itself.

With water we are just talking atoms with which reductionism is compatible
Emergence is not necessarily incompatible with reduction. Some argue (I disagree) that it never is. But that's a whole different issue. The point is that we can't speak of the water properties of oxygen and the water properties of hydrogen, but we can speak of the water properties of H20. Likewise, we can't speak of how neurons understand but we can speak of how the brain does.

Properties don't just come out of thin air
They actually do, and there are several different technical terms (e.g., bifurcation) and names for the various ways they do, not to mention the types of systems that do so in particular ways such as self-organized criticality.

particularly when you have a smaller progressions over a large period of time.
That's actually a good description for one type of "out of thin air" effect, although it's a pretty mild effect. It happens with sandpiles. It literally is the small progression over time of additional components, number of external forces, stresses, etc., that at a time we cannot predict and due to a structure we can predict will suddenly alter completely. If it bifurcates (perhaps the simplest shift), then the system's trajectory in the phase space will suddenly and unpredictably shift. Sand in an hour class is different as it will suddenly completely collapse, but more interesting are sandpiles that form naturally like those on the shore. Both their formation and subsequent reformations are interesting. When they form, often we have completely explainable sand "particles" moving around in fairly uninteresting ways that suddenly get to a point at which they configure into a structure we can't predict. Then things will happen and the sandpile will, as you put it, be subject to progressive changes over time. None of these are remarkable or all that hard to at least approximate. However, the sandpile can then radically alter in such a way that the initial configuration is completely gone and yet even though it isn't there the final configuration is in part determined by the absent initial configuration. The moment at which it changes can be not only completely unpredictable, but the way it reconfigures is even more "out of thin air".

And these are very simple examples. Living systems are worse. For one thing, even changes that don't come "out of thin air" are no less (and often more) impossible to model. Even with very complex non-biological systems, everything is driven by external forces. But if we take the famous example of metabolism-repair that is a central process in every cell, we quickly realize that although this process drives most of the cell, pretty much all the sell is what drives it. So it isn't that something isn't that the metabolism-repair comes out of thin air- it comes out of itself.

When we look at evolutionary evidence we can trace the progression of our intelligence and see the emergence but much of which we share with closely related species due to common ancestry.
We can't see the emergence, although I think I get what you are saying. Generally speaking emergence is a name we give to properties of some system (whether a the internet, an ant colony, or a solar system) that "emerges" from the dynamics of that system. Evolutionary processes can themselves be emergent and certainly in our evolutionary past this occurred, but it just isn't the kind of word we normally attribute to the appearance of traits in the past because of the limits the past imposes on how much we are able to talk about the appearance of any specific traits.

That said, we certainly do share a lot. Again, I'm not singling out humans here as the only things capable of processing concepts. I'm singling out brains, which aren't unique to humans. Nor am I saying that something must be like the mammalian brain in order to have conscious awareness. I'm just saying that computers, quantum or classical, never will and we need more than computing if we want to AI.

PolyHedral

Superabacus Mystic
However, the sandpile can then radically alter in such a way that the initial configuration is completely gone and yet even though it isn't there the final configuration is in part determined by the absent initial configuration.
You seem to be ignoring the causality in there. :areyoucra Why is it surprising that the final configuration is determined by the initial configuration?

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You seem to be ignoring the causality in there. :areyoucra Why is it surprising that the final configuration is determined by the initial configuration?

Possibly that's because were determination a factor, we wouldn't be speaking of the "memory" of a pile of sand. We'd be talking about how an initial condition resulted in one and only one final condition.

idav

Being
Premium Member
Possibly that's because were determination a factor, we wouldn't be speaking of the "memory" of a pile of sand. We'd be talking about how an initial condition resulted in one and only one final condition.

Even if there can be an alternative in principle it will not be an actuality, there can be only one actuality, which happens to be what we observe. Some coincidence?

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Even if there can be an alternative in principle it will not be an actuality, there can be only one actuality

There is nothing to justify the statement that there can be only one actually. It's actually pretty fundamentally contrary to the physical sciences. It may be that there will be only one actuality, but that does not mean that there can be only one actuality.

idav

Being
Premium Member
There is nothing to justify the statement that there can be only one actually. It's actually pretty fundamentally contrary to the physical sciences. It may be that there will be only one actuality, but that does not mean that there can be only one actuality.

If there can be an alternative then there can be, but there will be only one. If there can be more than one actuality then we are talking multiple worlds.