• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Getting from cause effect to awareness

idav

Being
Premium Member
The math treats the "particles" usually as being nowhere and everywhere. The logic behind the implications of the math is as follows: if we set up an experiment to detect an electron and we do detect it in some location, then we must assume that had we not tried to detect it where we did, it wouldn't have been there. QM works by assuming that "particles" have locations because we tried to observe them, and that if we hadn't tried to observe them there then they would not have been there.

As Einstein pointed out, this is akin to saying that the moon is only there when you look at it. The difference is that while this isn't true of the moon, without it being true in quantum physics we don't have quantum physics.

Thats a huge assumption. I assume, like with the moon, that it would be there without detecting and that if we managed to detect it it is because it was there. With the photon acts as if it is everywhere probably because it is.

idav

Being
Premium Member
Thats a huge assumption. I assume, like with the moon, that it would be there without detecting and that if we managed to detect it it is because it was there. With the photon acts as if it is everywhere probably because it is.

To the perspective of a photon, time is standing still, there is no time at the speed of light, so timespace can seem violated but its physics.

idav

Being
Premium Member
Legion, perhaps a way to reconcile it would be to say the particle fixed itself in time and space before it entered our temporal state of spacetime. Like for the fact that there is even a particle when you open the second box. It would do it instantaneously across any distance in space time because of its speed, its momentum which einstein proved it has. Then you get a collapse of sorts.

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Thats a huge assumption.

It's not an assumption. It's what happens. Ever since the first double slit experiment, it has happened. It is ingrained into quantum mechanics at its epicenter.

With the photon acts as if it is everywhere probably because it is.
Photons don't act like this. How they act, indeed their very nature, depends upon whether we observer them (and how we observe them).

To the perspective of a photon, time is standing still, there is no time at the speed of light, so timespace can seem violated but its physics.
A rather brilliant thought. Einstein would, I think, applaud you greatly here.

Einstein frequently used such methods to generate some of the greatest theories in physics ever known. However, you haven't completed the process. Alas, that requires the formulation of a mathematical explanation that accounts for both relativistic physics and quantum mechanics which incorporates that which is known to be true of photons.

Still, a fantastically, wonderful question indicative of an Einsteinian mind.

Legion, perhaps a way to reconcile it would be to say the particle fixed itself in time and space before it entered our temporal state of spacetime.
The problem is that we can run an experiment and, after it is completed, choose whether we wish the result to tell us that the particle displays what is characteristic of a "wave" or a of "particle".

idav

Being
Premium Member
It's not an assumption. It's what happens. Ever since the first double slit experiment, it has happened. It is ingrained into quantum mechanics at its epicenter.

Photons don't act like this. How they act, indeed their very nature, depends upon whether we observer them (and how we observe them).

A rather brilliant thought. Einstein would, I think, applaud you greatly here.

Einstein frequently used such methods to generate some of the greatest theories in physics ever known. However, you haven't completed the process. Alas, that requires the formulation of a mathematical explanation that accounts for both relativistic physics and quantum mechanics which incorporates that which is known to be true of photons.

Still, a fantastically, wonderful question indicative of an Einsteinian mind.

The problem is that we can run an experiment and, after it is completed, choose whether we wish the result to tell us that the particle displays what is characteristic of a "wave" or a of "particle".

My thoughts on this are the multi world theory but with a collapse. The collapse was the biggest issue but with the thought of time not being an issue at the quantum level sort of lends a reconciliation between qm interpretations. I am no math whiz so I have to leave the math to the experts. I know einstein used math to predict things so there may be a way but doesnt the math break down by the time you actually hit the speed of light?

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I am no math whiz so I have to leave the math to the experts.
David Hilbert was perhaps the most brilliant mathematician during Einstein's day. He once said of Einstein "Every boy in the streets of Gottingen understands more about four-dimensional geometry than Einstein. Yet, in spite of that, Einstein did the work and not the mathematicians."

Einstein's genius was not a matter of mathematics but using seemingly very simple ideas and truly thinking about what they meant.

but doesnt the math break down by the time you actually hit the speed of light?
I don't follow. What math?