• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Georgia governor signs controversial "heartbeat" abortion bill

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
You can read the article here:Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp Signs ‘Heartbeat’ Abortion Bill Over Celebrity Protests

To summarize the proposed bill, the law bans abortion once a fetal heartbeat can be detected—in some cases, as early as six weeks gestation. However, reproductive rights advocates believe the law is a ban on abortion citing that most women do not they are pregnant that early. I see this as an interesting turn of events regarding women's rights and a challenge to Roe v. Wade. I really see this as a problem for rape victims and those who are mentally incapacitated and overall for women which is trying to limit a woman's agency.

What are your thoughts?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
You can read the article here:Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp Signs ‘Heartbeat’ Abortion Bill Over Celebrity Protests

To summarize the proposed bill, the law bans abortion once a fetal heartbeat can be detected—in some cases, as early as six weeks gestation. However, reproductive rights advocates believe the law is a ban on abortion citing that most women do not they are pregnant that early. I see this as an interesting turn of events regarding women's rights and a challenge to Roe v. Wade. I really see this as a problem for rape victims and those who are mentally incapacitated and overall for women which is trying to limit a woman's agency.

What are your thoughts?
I would set the limitations once the nervous system goes 'online' or that point where a fetus can feel pain.

It goes to illustrate that there is a dire need to have a universal determination and definition of where exactly the line of legality stands.

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...

What are your thoughts?
Well, anything to stop all that wrapping the newly born baby up in a blanket while the mother and doctor decide whether or not to execute it that was going on.

Shad

Veteran Member
Not sure why men think they have more right to this conversation than men?

You need to fix your comment. You forgot a w and o in there.

Abortion is provided by the government ergo is a topic for all taxpayers not merely the sex that uses it. Take abortion off the government dole if you want to remove men not involved directly from the conversation. (IE family and the father)

FragrantGrace

If winning isn't everything why do they keep score
I think a state that at one time boasted a Legislature that was so anti-woman and anti-choice as to consider a bill proposing possible prison time for a woman who suffered miscarriage, thinking she violated the new proposed law against abortion of any type, has been populated now by representatives with a brain that isn't lodged in the 15th century.

I much prefer this fetal heartbeat bill to the infanticide law that NY legislators passed and then celebrated in chamber.

There are provisions for rape or incest in the passed bill. HB 481 2019-2020 Regular Session
The strike through in this bill indicates the language that is now amended in the final draft. The underlined text amid those strike through text is what remains.

FragrantGrace

Abortion is provided by the government ergo is a topic for all taxpayers not merely the sex that uses it. Take abortion off the government dole if you want to remove men not involved directly from the conversation. (IE family and the father)
Men have every right to enter into a conversation. They have no right to control a woman's choice If you're female and have a womb you have a choice.. If you're male you have an opinion.
Thinking men have a right to stop a woman and her sovereign right to privacy is thinking women are property of men because they ejaculate. And that gives them dominion over that woman's womb.

They're wrong! The U.S. Constitution guarantees it.Don't like that? Move to Iran and become a Muslim. You'll fit right in.

BSM1

What? Me worry?

What are your thoughts?

Wassup. EBM! Actually you and I probably see eye to eye on this one. I am staunchly and adamantly pro-choice, and I think this decision should be entirely up to the woman, her conscience, and her doctor. All this hoopla about fetuses rights, to me, is just another veiled control maneuver by insecure males and misguided females.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Any criterion for "life", at which point abortions become illegal is arbitrary.
What matters is giving the mother ample time to her choice.

Ellen Brown

OOPs, Thanks.

Ellen Brown

Men have every right to enter into a conversation. They have no right to control a woman's choice If you're female and have a womb you have a choice.. If you're male you have an opinion.
Thinking men have a right to stop a woman and her sovereign right to privacy is thinking women are property of men because they ejaculate. And that gives them dominion over that woman's womb.

They're wrong! The U.S. Constitution guarantees it.Don't like that? Move to Iran and become a Muslim. You'll fit right in.

You are profoundly ignorant about Iranian Muslims.

Shad

Veteran Member
Men have every right to enter into a conversation. They have no right to control a woman's choice If you're female and have a womb you have a choice..

Sure. However if that choice involves government money taxpayers, which are men too, can voice their views.

Rant which goes off-topic

Abortion is not in the Constitution. Try again.

What do Muslims have to do with a point about government spending? Another rant.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Not sure why men think they have more right to this conversation than women?
Who has said we menfolk believe we have more right to converse?
Would you also deny conversation to women who are unable to conceive?
Consider....
- Abortion affects fathers too.
- About half of aborted fetuses are male.
- It's an ethical issue for both men & women who are interested
in law, government, & society.
- In this country, we don't balkanize conversations based upon the
extent to which one is personally affected. Should women not
comment on war because only men register for the draft?
Nah.
Everyone who is interested is welcome.

FragrantGrace

Sure. However if that choice involves government money taxpayers, which are men too, can voice their views.
That's what I said.

Rant which goes off-topic
No rant, and it is on topic. Did you forget what thread you're in?

Abortion is not in the Constitution. Try again.
No need to try anything. Right to privacy is in the Constitution. That's why SCOTUS ruled in Roe V. Wade.

What do Muslims have to do with a point about government spending? Another rant.
No rant, try to mature and realize just because you don't like what someone says, or disagree with them, doesn't mean it is a rant. To call it that makes you look like a child.
The point you missed was when someone advocates men are in control of women's rights to determine what resides in their womb, they're typifying the strong-patriarchal mind set that is extant in Iran. Lived there, know what I'm talking about.
If you want that kind of control over your woman in America, happy to tell you, you will never have it. Did once. Then civil rights were extended to females in America. And they have been growing in their personal freedom ever since.
There's a certain type of male that hates that.

I know, I know, rant....rant....rant.....

Women are free.... Women are free..... Rant against that all you wish and try to claim it is a right to your opinion. :)
In this country men use to be able to beat their wives! No law against spousal abuse. Till there was.
Control! Male dominance.
It all fell away. Now men are still trying to make women stay pregnant against their will here. Forced incubators because male sperm has supremacy. And the worst zealots claim to be pro-life while trumpeting that garbage.
If they were all about life they'd recognize the countless women who are in graveyards across America. Buried because they died having no choice but to stay pregnant against their will once upon a time here. And refusing to be owned by law, and forced to stay pregnant with their rapists sperm, or whatever, they sought help. And butchers did. They took their money and those women died from botched illegal abortion complications.

Women in America will never go back! Rant about that.
We are free.
Burns you to the bone doesn't it.

All on topic. Deal with it.

Shad

Veteran Member

What are your thoughts?

Against it as the data point is arbitrary. The real question we have yet to resolve is personhood and how this idea changes based on subject. Fetus is not a person. An adult is a vegetative state is a person.

FragrantGrace

Who has said we menfolk believe we have more right to converse?
Would you also deny conversation to women who are unable to conceive?
Consider....
- Abortion affects fathers too.
- About half of aborted fetuses are male.
- It's an ethical issue for both men & women who are interested
in law, government, & society.
- In this country, we don't balkanize conversations based upon the
extent to which one is personally affected. Should women not
comment on war because only men register for the draft?
Nah.
Everyone who is interested is welcome.
I've not said men have no right to enter the conversation. I have said no man has the right to force a woman to stay pregnant.

Shad

Veteran Member
That's what I said.

Except government can exercise control and punishment for the wrong choice (Wrong as in illegal)

No rant, and it is on topic. Did you forget what thread you're in?

Yes one about government and a Bill. You started babbling about men in general. Try again.

No need to try anything. Right to privacy is in the Constitution. That's why SCOTUS ruled in Roe V. Wade.

The right to privacy is not applicable.

No rant, try to mature and realize just because you don't like what someone says, or disagree with them, doesn't mean it is a rant. To call it that makes you look like a child.

You were babbling about issues that were not part of my comment. Ergo it was a rant. Try again.

The point you missed was when someone advocates men are in control of women's rights to determine what resides in their womb, they're typifying the strong-patriarchal mind set that is extant in Iran.

No one advocated that. You are beating a strawman. Try again.

Lived there, know what I'm talking about.

Irrelevant.

If you want that kind of control over your woman in America, happy to tell you, you will never have it. Did once. Then civil rights were extended to females in America. And they have been growing in their personal freedom ever since.
There's a certain type of male that hates that.

Off-topic rant, again.
Women are free.... Women are free..... Rant against that all you wish and try to claim it is a right to your opinion. :)

It was a rant as you never addressed anything I posted.

In this country men use to be able to beat their wives! No law against spousal abuse. Till there was.

So?

Control! Male dominance.

It's 2019. Get over the 19th century.

It all fell away. Now men are still trying to make women stay pregnant against their will here. Forced incubators because male sperm has supremacy. And the worst zealots claim to be pro-life while trumpeting that garbage.

Strawman and rant

If they were all about life they'd recognize the countless women who are in graveyards across America. Buried because they died having no choice but to stay pregnant against their will once upon a time here.

It's 2019, Get over the 19th century.

And refusing to be owned by law, and forced to stay pregnant with their rapists sperm, or whatever, they sought help. And butchers did. They took their money and those women died from botched illegal abortion complications.

It's 2019, Get over the 19th century.

Women in America will never go back! Rant about that.
We are free.
Burns you to the bone doesn't it.

No as you are babbling about issues I never brought up nor even care about. Try again

All on topic. Deal with it.

Nope. You are projecting intent and arguing against your projection in order to frame the conversation in the way you want rather than what I said and what the Bill contains. Typical nonsensical feminist rant. Try again.