• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

George W. Bush, war criminal

• Thread starter angellous_evangellous
  • Start date
A

angellous_evangellous

GWB made history as the worst President of the USA, implementing a number of policies which resulted in the collapse of the USA as a superpower, the implosion of our economy, the weakening of our military, and the severe limitations on liberty. Interesting that Republicans ***** and moan about big government when Bush seized more power than any other President in history and spent more money than all the Presidents before him. Combined.

Now GWB is unwelcome in countries around the world that take international law seriously. The UN Convention on Torture dictates that the 147 signees (including the USA) arrest Bush and try him for war crimes. THIS MONTH Bush had to cancel a trip to Switzerland for fear of being arrested. I'd bet a million bucks that this is the first time in history that an American ex-President was unwelcome to this magnitude, especially charges that place him on the level of war criminals who are far more notorious.

note: Bush's Swiss visit off after complaints on torture | Reuters

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
GWB made history as the worst President of the USA, implementing a number of policies which resulted in the collapse of the USA as a superpower, the implosion of our economy, the weakening of our military, and the severe limitations on liberty. Interesting that Republicans ***** and moan about big government when Bush seized more power than any other President in history and spent more money than all the Presidents before him. Combined.

Now GWB is unwelcome in countries around the world that take international law seriously. The UN Convention on Torture dictates that the 147 signees (including the USA) arrest Bush and try him for war crimes. THIS MONTH Bush had to cancel a trip to Switzerland for fear of being arrested. I'd bet a million bucks that this is the first time in history that an American ex-President was unwelcome to this magnitude, especially charges that place him on the level of war criminals who are far more notorious.

Bravo!

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Of course, I can't help but wonder how the continued existence of Guantanamo is justified these days...

Danmac

I take it your not a 9/11 widow/widower

Danmac

Of course, I can't help but wonder how the continued existence of Guantanamo is justified these days...

Obama promised to close it right away just as soon as he was elected. I think there still waiting on release papers from the public defenders office or something of that nature. I know it takes about 4 years and one day to get those things thru ya know.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
I take it your not a 9/11 widow/widower

What in the name of god has that got to do with the price of eggs?

Does 9/11 give the US carte blanche to murder/torture and act beyond any semblance of law?

Don't get me wrong. I am not anti american. I do not support violence against the US. I think the attack on the twin towers was an outrage beyond my ability with words.

I think it plays into the hands of those who are against the US to simplify matters to simplistic appeals such as this.

A

angellous_evangellous

Well you know what that means...apparently this is the only western nation where that kind of trash is still welcome.

I don't think that it's what he's done but who he is. The reasoning, I think, is that if we submit one of our Presidents (and yes, they call GWB 'Mr. President' until the day he dies unless he is stripped of the title) to prosecution like this by an international court, it taints the dignity of the office.

I used to think this, but now I believe that if we give him up, we prove to the world that we respect humanity and international law (that we signed!), thereby saying that we are not above even our own standards. It would show the world that we as a people truly repent from our naked agression and abuse of our power.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
I don't think that it's what he's done but who he is. The reasoning, I think, is that if we submit one of our Presidents (and yes, they call GWB 'Mr. President' until the day he dies unless he is stripped of the title) to prosecution like this by an international court, it taints the dignity of the office.

I used to think this, but now I believe that if we give him up, we prove to the world that we respect humanity and international law (that we signed!), thereby saying that we are not above even our own standards. It would show the world that we as a people truly repent from our naked agression and abuse of our power.

Yes I think we should hand him over. Preferably to Germany or France where we know they'll get the job done.

A

angellous_evangellous

Yes I think we should hand him over. Preferably to Germany or France where we know they'll get the job done.

Unfortunately they won't execute him.

O well.

I think that we should hand him over to the Iraqi people where he can have just as fair a trial as Saddam did. Thanks to the USA, they have the death penalty.

Then he should be buried right next to him.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

It's the crime that taints the office, not the prosecution.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
Unfortunately they won't execute him.

O well.

I think that we should hand him over to the Iraqi people where he can have just as fair a trial as Saddam did. Thanks to the USA, they have the death penalty.

Then he should be buried right next to him.

I think you should send him and his cronies to Guantanamo for an open ended stay to reflect on their activities. You shouldn't even need a trial.

Danmac

What difference would it make? Honest question.

I raed about a plane crashing into the ocean while eating my breakfast. I went about my day as usual. I learned that a dear loved one was on the plane and I lost my appetite for lunch. I suppose Angellous would have a different view had all of his or her family members been in the twin towers on 9/11

Danmac

Don't get me wrong. I am not anti american. I do not support violence against the US. I think the attack on the twin towers was an outrage beyond my ability with words.

And you think they would have stopped with the twin towers had we not done something to break up their little gang of thugs?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I raed about a plane crashing into the ocean while eating my breakfast. I went about my day as usual. I learned that a dear loved one was on the plane and I lost my appetite for lunch. I suppose Angellous would have a different view had all of his or her family members been in the twin towers on 9/11
Yes, a personal connection to something often makes people lose their objectivity about it.

This is usually considered to be a bad thing. For instance, it's why judges don't hear cases that involve their family members.