• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Genesis - Big Bang mash-up

Audie

Veteran Member
I’ve never met one but I’m sure I would be if I had been born with the ability to feel fear but I wasn’t.

So I would probably laugh at the dragon and it would eat me.
Fearless.

Good, for lo, as the good book says:

" Fear not, lest thou be fearful"

Or ypu can come here where nobody is afraid of dragons.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Your point, science deals with reality, you and your clone deny science and reality in favor of ancient campfire stories.
Nope. Simply not true. But I do go with the Bible rather than the conjectures and changing vicissitudes of science. :) so---have a nice day.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Science doesn't prove or disprove. It accepts or rejects.

Examples...
-Evolution isn't proven, its accepted by the evidence.
-An elephant living on the moon isn't disproven, its rejected by the evidence.
Whether one believes it or not, it is conjecture.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru

RestlessSoul

Kuhn is a philosopher and I do not take the words of philosophers seriously. They live in their own world, create arguments for arguments sake.
If P=1 then P+1=
What is wrong with a revolutionary discovery in science along with normal progress. Spurts and bursts.

Yes, Feynman - and Hawking for that matter - were often scathing about philosophers. Perhaps because they both recognised that you cannot derive an ontology from theoretical physics without doing philosophy.

Kuhn, however was a physicist, who is best remembered now as a philosopher of science due to his significant contributions in that field. His BSc and MSc were both in physics.

He argued that scientific revolutions led eventually to wholesale paradigm shifts. The holistic rejection of one paradigm and it’s replacement by another, implies scientific progress is not cumulative between paradigms. Further, it is meaningless to compare competing paradigms, since even the meaning of theoretical terms are defined by the paradigm in which they are used.

Kuhn had the insight which led him to write The Structure of Scientific Revolutions, when doing research for a course he was asked to teach, at Harvard, on Aristotle. In the mid 20th Century Aristotle’s ideas about physics were no longer taken seriously in the scientific world, despite his historic contribution to physics as natural philosophy.

Kuhn was able to perceive that Aristotle was operating in a different paradigm than contemporary physicists, therefore many of his observations appeared nonsensical when in fact they were simply incomprehensible to the modern mindset. Aristotle’s physics is currently undergoing something of a Renaissance*

Perhaps Kuhn’s most radical observation was that revolutionary science was non-dogmatic, dissenting voices were heard, and old assumptions challenged; but that during periods of ‘normal science’ the prevailing paradigm is accepted without challenge, and observation is neither neutral nor value free.

He once observed that “science students are distressingly willing to receive the word from professors and texts.”

*Aristotle's Physics: A Physicist's Look | Journal of the American Philosophical Association | Cambridge Core

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Yes, Feynman - and Hawking for that matter - were often scathing about philosophers. Perhaps because they both recognised that you cannot derive an ontology from theoretical physics without doing philosophy.
Kuhn, however was a physicist, who is best remembered now as a philosopher of science due to his significant contributions in that field. His BSc and MSc were both in physics.
*Aristotle's Physics: A Physicist's Look | Journal of the American Philosophical Association | Cambridge Core
Yeah, there is a line in RigVeda (my guess, around 1,000 BCE) which always impresses me:
You might have found me quoting it, very 'quantumistic'.
"Sages who searched with their heart's thought discovered the existent's kinship in the non-existent."

Kuhn had a Ph.D. in Physics too.

RestlessSoul

I know but it's just more words to say the same
thing.

Whilst I appreciate that, as a native Chinese speaker who is also fluent in English, you have a better grasp of languages than I, I nevertheless respectfully suggest that to ignore nuance is to handicap comprehension.

Audie

Veteran Member
Whilst I appreciate that, as a native Chinese speaker who is also fluent in English, you have a better grasp of languages than I, I nevertheless respectfully suggest that to ignore nuance is to handicap comprehension.

Recognizing distinctions sans difference
is one of those nuance things

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Three maidens are praying to Buddha, and the first one says "Buddha, Buddha, find me a man with a dragon on his chest."

The second maiden prays "Buddha, Buddha, find me a man with two dragons on his chest".

The third maiden prays "Buddha, Buddha, find me a man with one dragon on the ground."

gnostic

The Lost One
Scientists and theists agree that there was a beginning though different words are used. One asserts that God did it. Atheists assert it just happened.

You are sort of implying that science is the same as atheism.

Not all scientists are atheists…and not all atheists are scientists.

Scientists are qualified & trained professionals who work it in specific sciences in specific scientific fields. And it is their jobs or careers.

Atheism isn’t science, it is a personal philosophy for each individual. Atheism is philosophical position on the matter of the existence of any deity - people who are atheists either lack of any deity’s existence or they don’t believe in any deity, that’s all there is to atheism - nothing more, nothing less.

Atheists don’t require to be qualified to be “atheist”, and being an atheist isn’t a career or job choice. Being atheists don’t require to study any science, because being atheists are not equivalent to being evolutionary biologists, nor being astrophysicists require knowledge in the Big Bang theory.

Scientists with personal background in atheism, aren’t the only who accept the Big Bang theory, so do scientists who are Christians, Jews, Bahai, Hindus, and other theists. And it is the same with the theory of Evolution…Evolution is clearly not limited to “atheists only”.

Prior to becoming an agnostic in 1870s to his departure, Darwin was still a Christian when he published On Origin in 1859. His friend and fellow naturalist, Thomas Henry Huxley was the who coined Agnosticism in 1869.

Likewise, while Alexander Friedmann and Howard Percy Robertson may have been non-theists, Georges Lemaître was a Roman Catholic priest as well as astrophysicist. They have each, independently formulated the Expanding Universe hypothesis.

But I think you know that already.

You should reword your last paragraph to “Scientists assert it just happened.” Leave atheists out of the science business.

Last edited:

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
You are sort of implying that science is the same as atheism.

Not all scientists are atheists…and not all atheists are scientists.
You should reword your last paragraph to “Scientists assert it just happened.” Leave atheists out of the science business.

Since scientists can be theists or atheists, I worded my post accordingly and you read something into it I did not intend.

gnostic

The Lost One
Since scientists can be theists or atheists, I worded my post accordingly and you read something into it I did not intend.

too often people equate science with atheism.

perhaps I did read too much into it.

science isn’t religion. But nor is science atheism.

science are theism & atheism -neutral, because it doesn’t deal with the existence or nonexistent of any deity, because the very concept of deity is unfalsifiable.

Natural Sciences only explore nature, not the unfalsifiable supernatural.

atheism is only about the existence of god…atheism doesn’t impart knowledge of cosmology or of biology.

Last edited: