• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gay Blood is Good Blood

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
I wonder why they don't impose a ban on people that have had more than (insert number here) sex partners in (insert number here) years, as this would put a lot of people in a higher risk group than a guy that has been in a committed relationship with his boyfriend for the past ten years.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
I think it goes to show how much homophobia is still rampant in our society. People don't want gay blood.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Do continue this point, my girlfriend is a part time actress and as such has a lot of gay friends*. She says it's common for gay guys who test themselves regularly and know they aren't infected to simply lie on donation forms and donate blood.
I think it is quite common. One of my friends from college's friend's does that. There's no way of them knowing short of someone telling them. I don't know if they can get in trouble for lying on the forums or not if they were to be found out, either.

*Don't you love when stereotypes keep true?
Haha :D

Alusky

Dog lover
Don't they test heterosexual blood too? Why not test homosexual blood. I wonder if they take zoosexual blood (my blood)

enchanted one said:
I wonder why they don't impose a ban on people that have had more than (insert number here) sex partners in (insert number here) years, as this would put a lot of people in a higher risk group than a guy that has been in a committed relationship with his boyfriend for the past ten years.
As far as I can tell, the reason is because it has not been demonstrated that asking this question on a survey is effective at reducing the risk of blood-borne disease and/or it reduces the overall blood supply to a large degree.

Midnight Pete

yeah but women dont have penises:sarcastic

Some do. :p

And if there was a way to guarantee the safety of dontated blood no matter who gave it, this discussion would not exist. If it weren't for the concern about HIV/AIDS, I don't think gay men would be forbidden from giving blood. Sexual orientation has nothing to do with blood, as far as I know. Blood is blood. It can give life. It can preserve life.

Venatoris

Wait... Gays can't donate blood? I really wish somebody had told Canada earlier. I gave blood with a number of my gay friends(male and female) at a school blood drive. The form only asked for family and personal medical conditions. WE GAVE GAY BLOOD TO UNSUSPECTING HOMOPHOBES? OMG!!!!

Midnight Pete

Wait... Gays can't donate blood? I really wish somebody had told Canada earlier. I gave blood with a number of my gay friends(male and female) at a school blood drive. The form only asked for family and personal medical conditions. WE GAVE GAY BLOOD TO UNSUSPECTING HOMOPHOBES? OMG!!!!

And to think, the blood you gave could end up saving the life of an unsuspecting homophobe. Or another gay person.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
That is actually quite ridiculous to say. I'm sure it has been brought up many times in this thread as to the reason why homosexuals can't donate blood. They have a higher chance of having tainted blood. It is the same reason why I can't give blood, as I could have tainted blood because I had a medical problem involving blood. Many people can't give blood because their blood is considered tainted. It is a safety precaution. Those who say it is discrimination simply are ignorant and/or simply trying to find another reason to act like a martyr.

Wirey

Fartist

If you gave it in Calgary, don't worry. It was given to another gay.

Go Oilers!

Nerthus

Wanderlust
It is a safety precaution. Those who say it is discrimination simply are ignorant and/or simply trying to find another reason to act like a martyr.

There are tests. Just because someone is gay it shouldn't mean that they just can't give blood based on that fact. Clearly any straight person could have the same infections.

A gay friend of mine's life was saved through a blood transplant when he was younger, he has always wanted to give blood so that he can help someone else. He is in a long term relationship, with no infections. There is no reason he can't give blood.

Last edited:

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
There are tests. Just because someone is gay it shouldn't mean that they just can't give blood based on that fact. Clearly any straight person could have the same infections.

A gay friend of mine's life was saved through a blood transplant when he was younger, he has always wanted to give blood so that he can help someone else. He is in a long term relationship, with no infections. There is no reason he can't give blood.
A straight man, who has had sex with another man (anal sex), since 1970 is also prohibited from giving blood. Now if a gay man hasn't had anal sex (they can do whatever else), they can give blood. It is not prohibiting homosexuals from giving blood; it is prohibiting men who have had sex with another man since 1970, regardless of sexual orientation.

As for infections, some can take many years to show up. Whether or not he has one, that is besides the point. The point is that if he has had anal sex with another man, statistically, there is a higher chance that he could have tainted blood. And again, whether or not he has passed test is besides the point, as some can remain hidden for a considerable amount of time.

I had a blood transplant, and now I can't give blood for so many years. I have no problem with that (I actually don't think I can give blood at all because of a blood problem I potentially have, which I haven't shown symptoms of, but there is a chance I have it). The reason being that even though I would like to help others out; however, it is irresponsible for me to do so if there is a chance that my blood may be tainted. And honestly, I am glad that they have these precautions in place, as I feel safer having blood transfusions.

Rakhel

My father can't give blood because he has Hepatitis(I forget which one). A pastor I knew, also can't give blood because he has Hepatitis C. My mother always told me I couldn't give blood because I had jaundice as a baby(not sure if she told the truth).
And no matter how many times I have been tested, I many not be able to give blood because that mother-*******, ******* of an ex-boyfriend decided he was going to cheat on me with another guy.

.lava

Veteran Member
Why shouldn't gay people be able to give blood? What about being gay suddenly makes our blood bad? Do the people in the government think that homosexuality can pass through blood or something? LOL

if that would be the case then blood of politicians is the real dangerous kind of blood for society IMO. but, how would they know if someone was gay or not? are they planning to add sexual choices on IDs or do they expect gay people to walk through the door hand in hand wearing all rainbow colours?