1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gay Blood is Good Blood

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rainbow Mage, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Rainbow Mage

Rainbow Mage Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish

Ratings:
    +867
    Religion:
    UU/Atheist
    Why shouldn't gay people be able to give blood? What about being gay suddenly makes our blood bad? Do the people in the government think that homosexuality can pass through blood or something? LOL

2. TheKnight

TheKnight Guardian of Life

Ratings:
    +195
    Religion:
    Judaism
    Where are homosexuals not allowed to give blood?

3. dawny0826

dawny0826 Mother Heathen

Ratings:
    +2,193
    Religion:
    Non-Denominational Christian
    The need for blood is so great, I assure you that you wouldn't be turned away from giving blood, simply for being homosexual. If you were denied the opportunity, there was another concern.

4. sandandfoam

sandandfoam Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +1,712
    There's tons of reasons they won't take blood from a person from the countries they've lived in to whether they've received transfusions themselves.
    I've never heard of being gay as a reason.

5. Gunfingers

Gunfingers Happiness Incarnate

Ratings:
    +135
    I gather from the lol that this is at least in part said in jest, but i feel compelled to answer nonetheless.

A) The American Red Cross is not a government agency.

B) They do not refuse to accept from all homosexuals, just male ones.

C) They do this because Gay and bisexual males are regarded by the CDC as a high-risk group for infection of HIV/AIDS, (CDC Pamphlet) which would, in their estimation, create an unreasonable risk of accidental infection as well as increase cost by giving them more blood to test that they can't use.

6. Breathe

Breathe Hostis humani generis

Ratings:
    +1,773
    Religion:
    Syncretic, Personal Panentheism
  7. Nanda

Nanda Polyanna

Ratings:
    +758
    Looking at statistics and going by that logic, the red cross shouldn't be accepting blood from black and hispanic people. Can you imagine the **** storm if they put that policy into action?

8. Mr Cheese

Mr Cheese Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +400
    as a former resident of the UK, I beleive I am unable to give blood in USA
    as I may have mad cows disease

(obviously by now I would have started having seizures, foaming at the mouth and drop dead by now...but a law is a law)

[​IMG]

Why am I not allowed to donate blood? | New Jersey Society of Blood Bank Professionals
    You are not eligible to donate if:
    From January 1, 1980, through December 31, 1996, you spent (visited or lived) a cumulative time of 3 months or more, in the United Kingdom (UK), or
    From January 1, 1980, to present, you had a blood transfusion in any country(ies) in the (UK). The UK includes any of the countries listed below.
    Channel Islands
    England
    Falkland Islands
    Gibraltar
    Isle of Man
    Northern Ireland
    Scotland
    Wales
    You were a member of the of the U.S. military, a civilian military employee, or a dependent of a member of the U.S. military who spent a total time of 6 months on or associated with a military base in any of the following areas during the specified time frames
    From 1980 through 1990 – Belgium, the Netherlands (Holland), or Germany
    From 1980 through 1996 – Spain, Portugal, Turkey, Italy or Greece.
    You spent (visited or lived) a cumulative time of 5 years or more from January 1, 1980, to present, in any combination of country(ies) in Europe, including
    in the UK from 1980 through 1996 as listed in above
    on or associated with military bases as described above, and
    in other countries in Europe as listed below:
    Albania
    Austria
    Belgium
    Bosnia/Herzegovina
    Bulgaria
    Croatia
    Czech Republic
    Denmark
    Finland
    France
    Germany
    Greece
    Hungary
    Ireland (Republic of)
    Italy
    Kosovo (Federal Republic of Yugoslavia)
    Liechtenstein
    Luxembourg
    Macedonia
    Montenegro (Federal Republic of Yugoslavia)
    Netherlands (Holland)
    Norway
    Poland
    Portugal
    Romania
    Serbia (Federal Republic of Yugoslavia)
    Slovak Republic (Slovakia)
    Slovenia
    Spain
    Sweden
    Switzerland
    Turkey
    Yugoslavia (Federal Republic includes Kosovo, Montenegro, and Serbia)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Rainbow Mage

Ratings:
    +867
    Religion:
    UU/Atheist
    I don't see how gay males are any higher a risk group for giving blood then heterosexual females. Heterosexual females also make up a large percentage of people with HIV

10. Mr Cheese

Ratings:
    +400
    yeah but women dont have penises:sarcastic

11. tumbleweed41

tumbleweed41 Resident Liberal Hippie

Ratings:
    +1,334
    Wow. While I do not live in Jersey, I do fall under these restrictions.
    And have given blood at least yearly since 1990.

12. Mr Cheese

Ratings:
    +400
    you could be spreading mad cow, dude

have you felt the need to rattle around with tremors, foam at the mouth
    keel over and die....

recently?

13. Rainbow Mage

Ratings:
    +867
    Religion:
    UU/Atheist
    What does having a penis and being gay have to with giving blood? Heterosexual males who give blood also have a penis

14. tumbleweed41

tumbleweed41 Resident Liberal Hippie

Ratings:
    +1,334
    [​IMG]

15. Mr Spinkles

Ratings:
    +3,065
    Hi everyone,

As a person who strongly supports gay rights, and as a member of the bleeding disorders community, I have a unique perspective on this issue. I think the gay community is totally and tragically off base on this issue, it's not about discrimination, it's about protecting the blood supply.

About 25 of every 100,000 male births in the U.S. have a bleeding disorder, most of them are severe. When the AIDS epidemic struck in the 1970's, it was called "gay pneumonia". Almost everyone with severe bleeding disorders got HIV, because they relied on blood transfusions on a regular basis for treatment. Now they are almost all dead, I don't know the official figure but it may have been as many as 15,000 people in the U.S.

It was a real tragedy. Today, you won't find a lot of hemophiliacs older than 25 because they are all dead. When I go for a regular checkup I get the feeling that the doctors who work in this field are somewhat traumatized, like they failed, because all their patients born before 1980 or so are dead. Even more hemophiliacs got Hepatitis A and B later from the contaminated blood supply. Then, around 1985-86, another mysterious disease contaminated the blood supply, it turned out to be Hepatitis C. These diseases aren't as deadly as HIV but they are serious. I think almost everyone with a severe bleeding disorder who is 24 and older got Hep C, although I personally didn't get it (I was one of the few lucky ones).

Part of the tragedy is that there was some political and economic pressure NOT to ban gay men from donating blood. The medical community hesitated to impose the ban. By the time they imposed the ban it was too late, babies, children, men with hemophilia and their spouses or girlfriends -- they all got HIV and Hepatitis.

Around 1983, the FDA imposed a lifetime ban for blood donations on men who have had sex with other men (MSM) since 1977. This ban is also in place in many European countries. The reason for the ban has absolutely nothing to do with discrimination against gay men. It has to do with the fact that HIV and Hepatitis are thousands of times more prevalent in MSM. The FDA explains the policy here:

Blood Donations from Men Who Have Sex with Other Men Questions and Answers

I can't emphasize this enough: keeping the blood supply safe is very, very serious. The gay rights community is way off base on this issue. This is not an issue where we need to treat people equally. This is an issue where we need to do whatever it takes to keep the blood supply safe and we need to err on the side of caution. Even with the ban in place, there have been 9 confirmed cases of people getting HIV from the blood supply since 1991, the last case occurring in 2002.

I think people should be aware of this terrible tragedy and the gay community should not make the mistake of politicizing a medical issue. I think it's a real shame that gay rights groups and some Democratic senators have put pressure on the FDA to remove the ban.

Apparently the FDA is now considering changing the policy to only ban MSM for one year instead of for life. I think it's the wrong decision but I hope I'm wrong and history doesn't repeat itself.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Sunstone

Sunstone De Diablo Del Fora
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +37,741
    Religion:
    Non-Theistic Mysticism
    It is immoral to push an agenda that needlessly risks lives.

17. Mike182

Mike182 Flaming Queer

Ratings:
    +1,388
    In England gays are not allowed to give blood. It's a hang over from a past culture that necessitates a direct link between gay people and HIV.

It is being fought over here, and it won't last for too much longer. I can't give blood anyway, because of my diabetes, but while I can accept that as a completely valid reason, being gay and healthy is not a valid reason by any stretch of the words valid or reason.

18. .lava

.lava Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +1,152
  19. Breathe

Breathe Hostis humani generis

Ratings:
    +1,773
    Religion:
    Syncretic, Personal Panentheism
    They can't: You have to point out you're gay or have had sex with men, so they can tell you to go away. :shrug:

:D

20. Gunfingers

Gunfingers Happiness Incarnate

Ratings:
    +135
    Do continue this point, my girlfriend is a part time actress and as such has a lot of gay friends*. She says it's common for gay guys who test themselves regularly and know they aren't infected to simply lie on donation forms and donate blood.

*Don't you love when stereotypes keep true?