• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gay adoption is good for children

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Common sense is bunk. The technological revolution began when man abandoned common sense for empiricism.
Common sense holds that the earth is flat, motionless and that the sun passes over it once a day. It is common sense that heavy objects will fall faster than light ones and that all things thrown up must fall back to Earth.

Kdrier, if you admit that your opinions are without foundation; that they're essentially no different than the opinions of others that you're criticizing, how can you justify your criticism?

kdrier

Revolutionist
You're reading too much into it bro. I could be completely wrong, but in my mind, I'm right. If you know I'm wrong than simply disregard my opinion.

I will never disregard my common sense though, it's gotten me far in life, as well as my gut instinct. You can ignore your common sense all day if you want, I personally believe in my common sense more than what I see or tv or read on the internet, call me crazy. And all those things you claimed were common sense were assumptions that needed research, I use my common sense when it comes to philosophical and psychological discussion and decisions.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Fortunately today we have a Prophet of God on the Earth who as the Mouthpiece of God can guide us on this issue. A recent Proclamation to the World on the Family issued by the First Presidency of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints has addressed some of these issues and is the current SCRIPTURE regarding it. I will follow the Lord on this one rather than self serving individuals trying to push their agenda. I'm not great with links but I'm sure someone will be able to post it.

I take that as a "no"?
If your religious belief is that homosexuals should not adopt, then I suggest that, if you are homosexual, you should not adopt. Can you suggest any reason on earth why policy makers who do not share your religious belief should follow them or require others to follow them, particularly when they harm children?
Right, and the leader of the Mormon Church is not a self-serving individual trying to push his agenda. :preach:

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Like I said, there is no use arguing on this thread anymore, I've backed up my opinion using my own common psychology and common sense, which may be terrible. Take my OPINION as you will, and no, I have absolutely no research or links to back it up, and don't care enough to try to find some. You mine as well just ignore my points completely, and not get worked up about them.

Here's the white flag. If knowing I'm wrong and that I'm a big idiot helps you sleep better at night... then I'm wrong, and I'm a big idiot, congratulations, give yourselves a pat on the back, copy and paste this to mock me, and good luck.

O.K. Actually, knowing you're wrong will help the many children who need good adoptive families to be allowed to be adopted by the good gay and lesbian families seeking to adopt them, which is more important than either of our egos.

btw, if you have learned from this thread that some of your ideas were mistaken, there is always the option of changing them.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
You're reading too much into it bro. I could be completely wrong, but in my mind, I'm right. If you know I'm wrong than simply disregard my opinion.

I will never disregard my common sense though, it's gotten me far in life, as well as my gut instinct. You can ignore your common sense all day if you want, I personally believe in my common sense more than what I see or tv or read on the internet, call me crazy. And all those things you claimed were common sense were assumptions that needed research, I use my common sense when it comes to philosophical and psychological discussion and decisions.

Common sense is what tells us the Earth is flat and the Sun goes around it.
Anon

Starfish

Please no sarcasm
Children need a mom and a dad, and I'm referring to good ones, not disfunctional. That has been established for centuries. Besides, ask any child if they would not prefer to have both.

If a child is difficult to place, due to age or a variety of reasons, gay parents might be better than none.

Too often we set up situations for our own tastes, not thinking of the complete welfare of the child. Like purposely setting up a single-parent home. Just because many single parents have successfully raised children, that doesn't mean it's best for the child. We have to put children first.

Dads, just like moms, have tremendous, incalculable value to their children.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Children need a mom and a dad, and I'm referring to good ones, not disfunctional. That has been established for centuries. Besides, ask any child if they would not prefer to have both.

To any child of an opposite-sex parent, that question would also implicitly ask "would you prefer to leave your mommy and daddy and live with two other people?"

To any child who doesn't know any families with same-sex parents, it also implicitly asks "would you prefer to live with complete strangers?"

Ask any child whether they'd want to live in Seattle. Most likely the only ones who would answer "yes" are the ones who already live there. That doesn't mean we should prohibit people who live in Seattle from adopting children.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
How do you know? Do you know any gay or lesbian families? Have your read about them? Or are you just operating out of prejudice?

Too often we set up situations for our own tastes, not thinking of the complete welfare of the child. Like purposely setting up a single-parent home. Just because many single parents have successfully raised children, that doesn't mean it's best for the child. We have to put children first.
Exactly. We should be thinking of what's best for children, not your narrow prejudice. If gay parents are good parents, then it's good for parents to be placed with them.

Dads, just like moms, have tremendous, incalculable value to their children.
I think it has more to do with the strengths of the individual than their gender. Some dads are great; some lousy. Some moms are great, some are not. Better to have two good parents of whatever gender.

logician

I think anyone(except known sex criminals) should be able to adopt, given they can pass the normal adoption standards. Sexual persuasion should not be an issue.

Smoke

Done here.
Too often we set up situations for our own tastes, not thinking of the complete welfare of the child.
Not just often, but almost always. Everyone who has the means and the wit to do it sets up situations to suit his own taste. You do it, I do it, our parents did, and our grandparents.

But there are some people who try to make everyone in the world conform to their own taste.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Sir, I have nothing concrete to back up my opinions, simply because they are mere opinions, I've given my thought process on how I have arrived and those opinions, no more, no less. and yes, it puts them in the exact same league.
If this were true and you honestly adhered to the definition YOU gave for common sense below, then you would not have an opinion either way.
You would be neutral on the subject.

Common sense: sound practical judgment that is independent of specialized knowledge, training, or the like; normal native intelligence.

It's justification for my opinion.
Claiming 'common sense' as the only justification of your opinion is merely admitting that you refuse to accept anything outside your box as valid unless it agrees with your opinion.

I'm sorry sir, if my opinion is offensive than take it like a feather, I mean no insult. But is second class that bad? It's not a contest, whatever makes you happy. For reasons why I believe a homosexual family is second class to a traditional one, see above, and remember it is best to ignore my unsupported opinions if justification is important to you.
Second class is bad when it is not true.

rajakrsna

:rainbow1: What I know about gays or homosexuals is that in the past life they were women. Because they were so attached to their boyfriends or husbands when they died, they received male bodies in the next life. Likewise, if men are too attached to their wives or girlfriends in the past life, they get correspondingly female bodies in the next life.:yes:

Starfish

Please no sarcasm
I knew I'd get ripped on and called names for my opinion, but nevertheless, I will continue to speak up in favor of children.
As a child grows, interacts with other children at school, etc., they will see fathers. They will wonder why they don't have one. When I said ask any child--they'd prefer to have both a mom and a dad, OBVIOUSLY they will not want to forsake what they know and who they love, for strangers. (I don't believe anyone really thought I was saying this.) However, they WILL feel a loss for not having a father. Or they will feel a loss for not having a mother. To believe otherwise is denial of basic human nature.

OBVIOUSLY there are lousy parents, but this is not what I talking about. And tragedies happen where a child loses a parent. But we should still do our best to give them what is best.

The best environment is a mom and dad, married, raising the children together in a loving home. This is the basis of our society and unless we strive to maintain this as best we can, our society will suffer.

We, the adults, are responsible to do everything in our power to give this to our children. They deserve no less.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
I knew I'd get ripped on and called names for my opinion, but nevertheless, I will continue to speak up in favor of children.
Interestingly, that's just what I'm doing. The difference is that I'm doing it based onwhat's actually better for children, and you're doing it based on your preconceived notions of what's better.
As a child grows, interacts with other children at school, etc., they will see fathers. They will wonder why they don't have one.
And their moms will tell them--they have two moms instead. I speak from direct, personal experience.
When I said ask any child--they'd prefer to have both a mom and a dad, OBVIOUSLY they will not want to forsake what they know and who they love, for strangers. (I don't believe anyone really thought I was saying this.) However, they WILL feel a loss for not having a father.
Honestly, Star, I know lots and lots of kids of lesbian parents, and not one of them that wishes they had a mom and dad instead. I know some outstanding lesbian moms, home-schoolers, moms who knock themselves out to give their kids opportunities to develop their talents, and their kids are glad and feel lucky to have parents who take them fly-fishing, drive them to rehearsal, give them drum lessons, take them to football practice, etc. It's true, some straight parents do these things, but the difference is that every lesbian parent chose to be a parent. This makes a huge difference in commitment and dedication. Do you know any lesbian parents?
Or they will feel a loss for not having a mother. To believe otherwise is denial of basic human nature.
Why don't you ask my kids, Star? Want me to bring my teenager in here so you can ask her? btw, no one seems to want to hear me boast about her many accomplishments. She is really something.

OBVIOUSLY there are lousy parents, but this is not what I talking about. And tragedies happen where a child loses a parent. But we should still do our best to give them what is best.
Exactly. Every child deserves the best parents available--not just the best straight parents.

The best environment is a mom and dad, married, raising the children together in a loving home. This is the basis of our society and unless we strive to maintain this as best we can, our society will suffer.
O.K., now we know your opinion. Now can you provide any support for it?

We, the adults, are responsible to do everything in our power to give this to our children. They deserve no less.
They deserve the actual best, not your unsupported opinion on what's best.