• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gay adoption is good for children

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Yea, I'm not into the research, I don't care for it.
I know, it's a drag when that annoying reality messes with your prejudices.
I'm all about facts. 9+1=10 is a fact.
But "straight parents are better than gay parents" is not a fact.
What kind of people would do research about whether or not it is better for an adopted child to have a traditonal family compared to a lesbian family?
People who need to know whether adoption agencies should place children with lesbian families or not. People who are concerned about child welfare. People who are interested in sexual orientation and how it develops. People who want to know the truth. People who are really all about facts, and don't just claim to be.
How could they determine that?
Many different ways, including administering batteries of psychological tests, interviews about life progress and so forth.
I'd bet people that support it, probably lesbians or gays... because no one else cares, or disagrees,
No one cares about kids and what's best for them other than lesbian and gay people?
which is also done by people who could never possibly judge what is better or not for a child.
Who do you think is better qualified to judge than child psychologists? How about pediatricians?
The American of Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) announced this week its support of adoption by same-sex parents. The organization not only supports the right of gay couples to adopt a child together, but also calls for legal recognition of the second parent in same-sex relationships where one parent is biological.
Note, the AAP is not a gay or political advocacy organization; it is THE professional organizaton of American pediatricians; the one your pediatrician probably belonged to.
"are you happy?" of course they are happy, they have parents. People adapt, people remain content. Are the people that "proved" an adopted child is no better off with homosexual parents than traditional? of course they are, now they can have kids just like regular people.
I'm sorry, this sentence didn't parse. Try again.
If you ask a child who is old enough to choose between gay/lesbian parents, or traditional parents, what do you think they would do?
They would choose their parents.
Do some research on orphan kids and ask them if they would be happier in a traditional family or a homosexual family.
Go for it.

There is a lot more things that could possibly disturb a child with homosexual parents compared to traditional parents, it's more complicated. The child has socially abnormal parents (yes, most straight people (probably 90% of the population) don't agree with homosexuality, although they might accept it)
Do you have any research to support this bogus statistic? I haven't done any research on the subject, and will bet you a frubal right now that it's wrong.
, and the child has feminine and masculine influences, which is not required, but sure helps. I'm sure the child would be ridiculed in school for it.
Mine haven't been. Do you think Jehovah's witnesses should be allowed to adopt? Fat people? Mixed race couples? Don't you think their kids will be ridiculed at school?

And I'm not going to define any terms, Dictionary.com
Might that be because you know that if you do, it will show that your assertions about them are false or irrelevant?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
How on earth did it take 52 post before someone finally posted the conclusions of those who actually knew what they were talking about? I think Autodidact has pretty much put the lid on this subject.

Why are people even bothering to post these opinions based on feelings, socio-religious traditions or "common sense?" These have no place in a serious discussion! Even a casual look back in history make it clear that right-brained thinking on serious issues leads to flat-Earthers and witch-burners!
Feelings have no place in serious discussion, and no relation to reality or truth!

If you want to know what the accepted, mainstream, "common-sense" opinion on something will be a century or so from now, look at the current empirical research. It sometimes take a long time for the slung mud to rinse away, but empirical data always stands.

Those who have actual experience in this area and those who've examined actual case-histories, are unanimous in their conclusion that children of gay parents are as "normal" and well adjusted as those of traditional, heterosexual parents.
Period. End of issue!

kdrier

Revolutionist
Quote:
If you ask a child who is old enough to choose between gay/lesbian parents, or traditional parents, what do you think they would do?

I said ask an orphan, a child who has yet to have parents.

Quote:
Do some research on orphan kids and ask them if they would be happier in a traditional family or a homosexual family.
Go for it.

I don't need to, I already know the answer to that. A traditional family is normal. A child will choose what is normal. Most kids want to fit in, especially if they have a choice. That's a fact, nothing that needs to be researched.

Quote:
There is a lot more things that could possibly disturb a child with homosexual parents compared to traditional parents, it's more complicated. The child has socially abnormal parents (yes, most straight people (probably 90% of the population) don't agree with homosexuality, although they might accept it)
Do you have any research to support this bogus statistic? I haven't done any research on the subject, and will bet you a frubal right now that it's wrong.

Most people disagree with homosexuality, I don't need to research that. I know at least 70% of the american population is christian or some form of it, and I know all of them disagree with homosexuality. Also most heteros (I'd say 90%) also disagree with homosexuality.

People who need to know whether adoption agencies should place children with lesbian families or not. People who are concerned about child welfare. People who are interested in sexual orientation and how it develops. People who want to know the truth. People who are really all about facts, and don't just claim to be.

I'm just saying something like that is hard to determine, and it's hard to find good/random subjects in order to determine something like that. What do you think would happen of the research came back, and it was actually better for a traditional family, and they didn't allow homosexuals to adopt? they'd have people like you, and lesbians and gays from all over the country going out of their minds, screaming and carry on like it was the end of the world. Either way, I'm not saying that traditional adoption is WAY better, just more suited.

For me, there isn't a glimpse of doubt that a traditional family is more suited than a homosexual family, no matter how much research I read.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
Why gay adoption is good for children:
1. If you have a heart of steel, go to the website of your state's Department of Social Services, and click on a link for "waiting children." There you will see the beautiful faces of dozens of children who did not choose to be born to parents who couldn't take care of them, and who have been living in foster care, children whose only wish and desire is a "forever family." They deserve to get one, but there just aren't enough of them to go around. If gay and lesbian families are available and willing to adopt some of these children, as I have, it would make their dreams come true.
2. That may be why every child welfare agency favors allowing gay and lesbian people to adopt.
from here.
3. All of the unbiased research based on sound methodology has found that children of gay and lesbian parents do at least as well on every measurable outcome as children of heterosexual families. The research is summarized here.
works for me.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
As for the role model issue, I think that what children need as role models are good people, people with morals, caring people, who can model for the child how to be a functioning, caring, competent adult. I just don't think that the gender aspect of role modelling is that important--children grow up to be the gender they are born, and express their individual version of that. They have plenty of opportunity to observe people of both genders around them every day, not only in the extended family, but at school, with friends, in clubs, through siblings, and so forth. What gay and lesbian adoptive parents model is contributing to society by committing to taking care of a child, and that is more important than teaching "how to be a young lady" or "how to be a real man."
doesn't work for me.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Then God is not a very good designer, and what he ordains doesn't have much influence. None of my great-grandparents were divorced, but three of my grandparents lost at least one parent in childhood, and my paternal grandfather lost both parents. It is astonishing that people will make such obviously nonsensical statements about God's will and what children are entitled to. What they really mean is that they feel entitled to impose their views on other families.

This brings up a very good point that I think warrants its own thread:

Is God not entitled to take a parent's life?

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
And why should the opinion of most people be important in this matter?
Define "abnormal."
I understand. You don't want to be confused by the facts.
Define "natural."
If you're not going to tell us why, why would we be interested in your sheer, unsupported opinion?
Every child needs parents.
You're wrong.
Having a little fun here?

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Quote:

I said ask an orphan, a child who has yet to have parents.

Quote:
Go for it.

I don't need to, I already know the answer to that.
By asserting that you know without actually finding out, you destroy any possibility that anyone here will give any credence to your preconcieved notions.
A traditional family is normal.
Well, until you define "normal", that's hard to say.
A child will choose what is normal. Most kids want to fit in, especially if they have a choice. That's a fact, nothing that needs to be researched.
I know, because it's much simpler to choose your answers in advance than to find out what they are in reality.

Quote:

Most people disagree with homosexuality, I don't need to research that. I know at least 70% of the american population is christian or some form of it, and I know all of them disagree with homosexuality. Also most heteros (I'd say 90%) also disagree with homosexuality.

And once again you're wrong. According to a recent USA Today/Gallup poll, the actual numbers are:
"Do you feel that homosexuality should be considered an acceptable alternative lifestyle or not?"

Acceptable Not
Acceptable
Unsure

% % %

9/7-8/07
48 46 6

5/10-13/07
57 39 3

5/8-11/06
54 41 4

5/2-5/05
51 45 4

5/2-4/04
54 42 4

6/25-28/82
34 51 15

"Do you think that homosexual couples should be legally permitted to adopt children?"

Yes No Unsure

% % %

9/7-8/07
46 50 4That is, most people find homosexuality acceptable, and almost half consider gay adoption acceptable.

A person of honor would pay me a frubal right about now. I'll be looking for it.

Further, had you been right, what if the majority was wrong? Does prejudice justify discrimination? When most Americans disapproved of mixed race marriage, should mixed couples have been allowed to adopt?

I'm just saying something like that is hard to determine, and it's hard to find good/random subjects in order to determine something like that.
Yes, it's hard. That doesn't mean that we don't have any research, that the research is useless, or that we don't have some pretty good information from the research.
What do you think would happen of the research came back, and it was actually better for a traditional family, and they didn't allow homosexuals to adopt?
Then I would change my mind, and would not be arguing to the contrary.
they'd have people like you, and lesbians and gays from all over the country going out of their minds, screaming and carry on like it was the end of the world.
Please don't make assumptions about me the way you do about many other things. I'm a big reality fan.
Either way, I'm not saying that traditional adoption is WAY better, just more suited.
And I'm saying that you're wrong. Now, do you have anything, anything at all, to back up your opinion?

For me, there isn't a glimpse of doubt that a traditional family is more suited than a homosexual family, no matter how much research I read.[/quote]

w00t

Most people disagree with homosexuality, I don't need to research that. I know at least 70% of the american population is christian or some form of it, and I know all of them disagree with homosexuality

That says something very unpleasant about Americans, imo!

kdrier

Revolutionist
"By asserting that you know without actually finding out, you destroy any possibility that anyone here will give any credence to your preconcieved notions."

It's common sense. For some things you don't need facts or research, try thinking about things on your own before you type something in google. don't believe everything you see on tv.

Well, until you define "normal", that's hard to say.

I know, because it's much simpler to choose your answers in advance than to find out what they are in reality.

These things fall into the common sense category, because not everything needs research or needs to be a fact.

Your "stats":

"Do you feel that homosexuality should be considered an acceptable alternative lifestyle or not?"

Of course it's acceptable, it's not like their going to kill gay people or anything. Do what makes you happy. Just because people disagree with it does not mean they don't accept it.

"Do you think that homosexual couples should be legally permitted to adopt children?"
I do think it should be legal. I just know a traditional is more suitable.

And for the record, I don't need anything to back up my opinion, I'm just giving it to you, and it's not going to change. No one needs back up for their opinion just to convince someone like you otherwise. You've made your choice, and I've made mine, I'm just giving my outlook on the situation, take it as you will. So on that note, I hope there is no hard feelings, but I am no longer going to be posting on this thread. I wish you and your family the best of luck and happiness.

Also a question you should ask yourself:
Why did you make this thread if you already all the answers and have facts from scientists to back it up? If everytime someone has an opinion (opinion, not a fact) you throw another stat or research link in their face?

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
And on that note, I think I'll just let kdrier's opinions hang out there for their full benefit. Thank you, kdrier.

Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen.--Albert Einstein.

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
Yea, I'm not into the research, I don't care for it. I'm all about facts.
The child has socially abnormal parents (yes, most straight people (probably 90% of the population) don't agree with homosexuality, although they might accept it)...
For someone concerned solely with facts, you certainly don't go to great pains to use any.:rolleyes:

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
Really? Maybe you should widen your sample. I only know 1 person personally who has actual issue with homosexuality, and given the fact most people who meet him think he was born a woman, he may well be at pains to distance himself from anything that could suggest he's anything other than what you'd call 'normal'. No-one else I know has any issue with it.
And while you're saying that 70% of the Americal population is Christian and you know all of them disagree with homosexuality, perhaps you should actually get away from what you know and into the realms of those facts you purport to love so much, because that's patently false. You only need to read some of the responses by the Christians here to topics concerning homosexuality to know how bogus that assertion is.