• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gay adoption is good for children

Somkid

I'm not sure about the adopted part, but we now have quite a few studies on adults raised by lesbians. You might want to click on the link provided to take a look at some of them.

I think the biggest problem is people like Rosie O'Donnell and Ellen they make the head lines and give gay people a bad name I would never allow crack pots like them to have children not because they are gay but because they are nuts looking for attention. Unfortunately this is what people see and they associate it with being gay. Where I live this is not an issue gay people don't act any different than straight people (no gay pride no straight pride parades we are all just people) and they are perfectly accepted, so, I kind of think this is more of an American issue.

Scott C.

Just one guy
Then God is not a very good designer, and what he ordains doesn't have much influence. None of my great-grandparents were divorced, but three of my grandparents lost at least one parent in childhood, and my paternal grandfather lost both parents. It is astonishing that people will make such obviously nonsensical statements about God's will and what children are entitled to. What they really mean is that they feel entitled to impose their views on other families.

That's what people say when they're about to say something offensive, but don't want to be called on it.

Of course not all people can be raised by a father and a mother. My grandfather lost his mother when he was young. My wife lost her father when she was young. My brother died and left three young sons without a father. Tragedy happens and its part of life. The fact that tragedy happens doesn't mean we should intentionally leave children without fathers and mothers.

Smoke

Done here.
What some people seem to be missing is that even if their personal idea of what's "ideal" had any validity, it's just not happening for most kids.

Only about half of children in the United States grow up in a household with two parents in an uninterrupted marriage. Only about forty percent grow up with both biological parents.

When you close the door on adoptions by same-sex couples, you are not helping to make sure children get to have your idea of an "ideal" family. You are making sure that many children never have any family at all.

Starfish

Please no sarcasm
Of course not all people can be raised by a father and a mother. My grandfather lost his mother when he was young. My wife lost her father when she was young. My brother died and left three young sons without a father. Tragedy happens and its part of life. The fact that tragedy happens doesn't mean we should intentionally leave children without fathers and mothers.

I agree completely.
I kind of think children who are older or difficult to place for whatever reason, would be better off with gay parents, than no parents at all. Tough issue.
But I also object to gay couples adopting babies when there are so many other couples waiting to adopt. When possible, the child needs a mom and a dad.

Smoke

Done here.
But I also object to gay couples adopting babies when there are so many other couples waiting to adopt. When possible, the child needs a mom and a dad.
We all have our preferences. Personally, I object to bigots and religious fanatics adopting children when there are so many intelligent people waiting to adopt.

kai

ragamuffin
What some people seem to be missing is that even if their personal idea of what's "ideal" had any validity, it's just not happening for most kids.

Only about half of children in the United States grow up in a household with two parents in an uninterrupted marriage. Only about forty percent grow up with both biological parents.

When you close the door on adoptions by same-sex couples, you are not helping to make sure children get to have your idea of an "ideal" family. You are making sure that many children never have any family at all.

yes we have a breakdown in the family unit in the uk also, it doesnt seem to last anymore does it

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
. I'm all about facts.
Your posts in this thread show otherwise.

70[/color]791]9+1=10 is a fact.
Yep.
But why do you choose to ignore the FACT that 5+5=10?
that 2+8=10?
3+7?
1784732637-1784732632?

What kind of people would do research about whether or not it is better for an adopted child to have a traditonal family compared to a lesbian family? How could they determine that?
And here you have destroyed your own argument.
If they cannot figure out how to show same sex couples are better or even equal to "traditional" couples, then how does it work so much differently the other way around?

Jistyr

Inquisitive Youngin'
If a single mother or a single father can run a family-- which millions do-- then a second parent, no matter the sex, can only help the situation if their intentions are good, and I assure you that almost all homosexual couples mean well for their adopted children.

The only theoretical problem would be if the parents imposed their sexuality upon the child, like a number of heterosexual couples do to their children. But I think homosexual couples are probably more apt to understand the priviledge of having any sexuality, and these cases of 'imposed sexuality' are probably few and far in between, if they even exist at all.

blackout

Violet.
In some ways I think it might be nice to grow up with both male and female parents
in the same way I'm ever so glad to have my one son amidst my daughters.

Still I think a happy relaxed well balanced home is far more an issue of individuals
than gender.

blackout

Violet.
It is interesting how many might voice concern over
what might happen if the child of homosexuals is heterosexual,
but they seem to have no concern regarding children
in the reverse situation.

Children should not have to grow up with any parents
who feel they should grow up "just like them".
People who feel their children should be carbon copies of themselves
should not be parents at all.

Love is King

Why? Why? How do you know? Do you have any facts to support this opinion? This of course does not take into account the fact that some Parents have zero ability to parent, but of course you will get these in any parenting combination.

And what about the thousands of children in foster care waiting for someone to adopt them?

Do you have any evidence that heterosexual parents do a better job than homosexual parents?

Fortunately today we have a Prophet of God on the Earth who as the Mouthpiece of God can guide us on this issue. A recent Proclamation to the World on the Family issued by the First Presidency of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints has addressed some of these issues and is the current SCRIPTURE regarding it. I will follow the Lord on this one rather than self serving individuals trying to push their agenda. I'm not great with links but I'm sure someone will be able to post it.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
Fortunately today we have a Prophet of God on the Earth who as the Mouthpiece of God can guide us on this issue. A recent Proclamation to the World on the Family issued by the First Presidency of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints has addressed some of these issues and is the current SCRIPTURE regarding it. I will follow the Lord on this one rather than self serving individuals trying to push their agenda. I'm not great with links but I'm sure someone will be able to post it.

can you at least link us to this proclamation?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I think the LDS opinion of homosexuality is pretty clear, but Mormons must also aknowledge that this teaching is based entirely on faith in what the prophet said God said, not on any facts or empirical data.

kdrier

Revolutionist
Like I said, there is no use arguing on this thread anymore, I've backed up my opinion using my own common psychology and common sense, which may be terrible. Take my OPINION as you will, and no, I have absolutely no research or links to back it up, and don't care enough to try to find some. You mine as well just ignore my points completely, and not get worked up about them.

Here's the white flag. If knowing I'm wrong and that I'm a big idiot helps you sleep better at night... then I'm wrong, and I'm a big idiot, congratulations, give yourselves a pat on the back, copy and paste this to mock me, and good luck.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
Like I said, there is no use arguing on this thread anymore, I've backed up my opinion using my own common psychology and common sense, which may be terrible. Take my OPINION as you will, and no, I have absolutely no research or links to back it up, and don't care enough to try to find some. You mine as well just ignore my points completely, and not get worked up about them.

Here's the white flag. If knowing I'm wrong and that I'm a big idiot helps you sleep better at night... then I'm wrong, and I'm a big idiot, congratulations, give yourselves a pat on the back, copy and paste this to mock me, and good luck.

i have no intentions of mocking you, and i certainly don't need an others to refer to themselves in a derogatory manor in order to sleep well at nights.

you have made many posts claiming your opinion is common sense, but you have not as far as i can see gone anyway to justifying why it is common sense, or even why common sense is a justification for something. it can be frustrating when someone who is opposed to your family unit says it is just common sense that your family unit is second class to a traditional one, and then goes no way to justifying that.

just my 2 cents...

Scott C.

Just one guy
We all have our preferences. Personally, I object to bigots and religious fanatics adopting children when there are so many intelligent people waiting to adopt.

Name calling is not productive. Obviously, there are plenty of intelligent people for and against gay adoption. Also, I think of a fanatic as one who holds an extreme view, widely unaccepted by the masses. That is certainly not the case here.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
Name calling is not productive. Obviously, there are plenty of intelligent people for and against gay adoption. Also, I think of a fanatic as one who holds an extreme view, widely unaccepted by the masses. That is certainly not the case here.

so when fanatical ideas are popularised, they are justified?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Kdrier, kdrier, kdrier.

I agree with you! I just think you have a completely counter-productive way of presenting your views.
I'm also confused about your admission that you have nothing concrete to back up your opinions. Doesn't this place them in the same league as those you're denouncing?

kdrier

Revolutionist
I'm also confused about your admission that you have nothing concrete to back up your opinions. Doesn't this place them in the same league as those you're denouncing?

Sir, I have nothing concrete to back up my opinions, simply because they are mere opinions, I've given my thought process on how I have arrived and those opinions, no more, no less. and yes, it puts them in the exact same league.

"you have made many posts claiming your opinion is common sense, but you have not as far as i can see gone anyway to justifying why it is common sense"

Common sense: sound practical judgment that is independent of specialized knowledge, training, or the like; normal native intelligence.

, or even why common sense is a justification for something.

It's justification for my opinion.

it can be frustrating when someone who is opposed to your family unit says it is just common sense that your family unit is second class to a traditional one, and then goes no way to justifying that.

I'm sorry sir, if my opinion is offensive than take it like a feather, I mean no insult. But is second class that bad? It's not a contest, whatever makes you happy. For reasons why I believe a homosexual family is second class to a traditional one, see above, and remember it is best to ignore my unsupported opinions if justification is important to you.