• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gaudiya Vaishnavism queries and discussion thread.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
You and I are different Aup. There is no oneness. You do agree, because you respond to questions and therefore you acknowledge that the person answering is different from the person questioning.
There is another way of seeing this, Shiva. No one is asking questions, no one is replying. You are taking what is 'maya' as reality. This is 'Vyavaharika' different from 'Paramarthika'. ;)

Last edited:

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
***Mod Post***

Rule 10. "Discuss Individual Religions" Forums, Same-Faith Debates, and "Only" Sections
The DIR sub-forums are for the express use of discussion by that specific group. They are not to be used for debate by anyone. People of other groups or faiths may post respectful questions to increase their understanding. Questions of a rhetorical or argumentative nature or that counter the beliefs of that DIR are not permitted. DIR areas are not to be used as cover to bash others outside the faith. The DIR forums are strictly moderated and posts are subject to editing or removal.

• For any DIR or discussion sub-forum that is colored blue, non-members of that area are limited only to respectful questions and are not allowed to make any non-question posts.

• For any DIR or discussion sub-forum that is colored green, non-members of that area may make respectful posts that comply with the tenets and spirit of that area. This includes questions as well as knowledgeable comments.

The Same-Faith Debates sub-forum is specifically for debate between members of the same faith. Members that are not part of a same-faith debate thread's selected faith may not post at all in said thread. The political "Only" sub-forums are also used specifically for that group and may not be posted in by members that do not correspond to the political position of the sub-forum. The Same-Faith Debates forum and the political "Only" forums are colored purple.

निताइ dasa

Nitai's servant's servant
Nitai Gaur Haribol! My humble pranam to everyone:praying::praying::praying::praying::praying:(I really like this emoji). I would like to share with you all one of my most favourite bhajans of all time. It describes Lord Chaitanya's sankirtan party has He goes out everyday to perform sankirtan. Below are the lyrics and also the bhajan sung by my venerable Godsister and Siksha Guru, Nityanandi dasi Prabvhi.

https://soundcloud.com/https%3A%2F%2Fsoundcloud.com%2Fnitaipreshthji%2Fudilo-aruna-nityanandi-das
udilo aruṇa pūraba-bhāge,
dwija-maṇi gorā amani jāge,
bhakata-samūha loiyā sāthe,
gelā nagara-brāje

As the sun rose in the western sky, the jewel of all Brahmins, Sri Gaurachandra awoke. Alongside His devotees and associates, He began to perform Nagar Sankirtan in the street.

'tāthaī tāthaī bājalo khol,
ghana ghana tāhe jhājera rol,
preme ḍhala ḍhala soṇāra ańga,
caraṇe nūpura bāje

"Tathai" "Tathai" came the sweet sound of the mridanga and the Cymbals went "Ghana Ghana". Intoxicated in Prema, Lord Gauranga danced, His limbs the color of molten gold, as the anklets played a sweet sound on His feet.

mukunda mādhava yādava hari,
bolena bolo re vadana bhori',
miche nida-baśe gelo re rāti,
divasa śarīra-sāje

(Lord Gaura sings): "Mukunda Madhava Yadava Hari" Please fill your mouths with these Names. You spend your night in useless sleep while the day simply decorating your temporary body"

emana durlabha mānava-deho,
pāiyā ki koro bhāva nā keho,
ebe nā bhajile yaśodā-suta,
carame poribe lāje

"This human life is very difficult to attain, yet you have no regard for this gift. If you do not worship the son of Yashoda now, then in the end you will fall into a despicable state.

udita tapana hoile asta,
dina gelo boli' hoibe byasta,
tabe keno ebe alasa hoy,
nā bhaja hṛdoya-rāje

"With the rising and setting of the sun, every new day becomes spend in futility. Why do you remain idle and not worship the Lord who resides in your heart?"

jīvana anitya jānaha sār,
tāhe nānā-vidha vipada-bhār,
nāmāśraya kori' jatane tumi,
thākaha āpana kāje

"This life is impermanent and is filled with many varieties of obstacles , understand its essence. Simply surrender unto the holy name, and live you life in a way as to maintain your body"

jīvera kalyāna-sādhana-kām,
jagate āsi' e madhura nām,
avidyā-timira-tapana-rūpe,
hṛd-gagane birāje

"To bless the desires and sadhana of the jiva, the sweet Name has descended into this world, destroying the ignorance and darkness in one's heart"

kṛṣṇa-nāma-sudhā koriyā pān,
jurāo bhakativinoda-prāṇ,
nāma binā kichu nāhiko āro,
caudda-bhuvana-mājhe

"Bhaktivinoda has drunken the pure Krsna Nama to which his life is connected. There is nothing other than the name, in all the 14 universes"

chaitanya-dance.jpg

Last edited:

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
Nitai Dasa when i see pictures of Gaudiya temples i see 5 men in 'kirtan poses'. I assume two of them is Chaitanya and Nitai. Who are the other three? Why are they worshiped also with these two?
Also, you follow Nitaiism. How is this affiliated with Vaishnavism?

Last edited:

निताइ dasa

Nitai! Thank you for your questions Terese ji :praying::praying::praying::praying:. I will try and answer them to the best of my ability:

Nitai Dasa when i see pictures of Gaudiya temples i see 5 men in 'kirtan poses'. I assume two of them is Chaitanya and Nitai. Who are the other three? Why are they worshiped also with these two?

You are correctly right in your observations. Lord Chaitanya descended along with 4 other associates who are non different from Him. They are collectively refereed to as "Pancha Tattva" (meaning 5 subjects). Below you can see the massive Pancha Tattva Deities which were installed in Sri Dhama Mayapura (the birth place of Lord Gaurhari):

mayapurpanchatattva2.jpg

I will start the explanation with the following verse, in Chaitanya Charitamrta:

pañca-tattvātmakaṁ kṛṣṇaṁ
bhakta-rūpa-svarūpakam
bhaktāvatāraṁ bhaktākhyaṁ
namāmi bhakta-śaktikam

"Let me offer my obeisances unto Lord Śrī Kṛṣṇa, who has manifested Himself in five as a devotee, expansion of a devotee, incarnation of a devotee, pure devotee and devotional energy."

So when Sri Krsna descends unto the earth in Kaliyuga, He descends in 5 forms. They are Bhakta Rupa (form of devotee, as Sri Chaitanya in the middle), Bhakta Swarupa (nature of devotee, Nityananda Prabhu on Gaura's left), Bhakta Avatar (incarnation of devotee, Adwaita Acharya on the very left, who is considered an incarnation of Sadasiva), Bhaktakhyam (Pure devotee, Srivasa Thakura on the very right who is an incarnation of Narada Muni) and Bhakta shakta (or the devotional energy, Gadadhara Pandit on Gaura's right, who is an incarnation of Radharani). These five personalities are fundamental in the distribution of Krsna Prema when Lord Gauranga was on this earth.

"luṭiyā, khāiyā, diyā, bhāṇḍāra ujāḍe
āścarya bhāṇḍāra, prema śata-guṇa bāḍe"

"Although the members of the Pañca-tattva plundered the storehouse of love of Godhead and ate and distributed its contents, there was no scarcity, for this wonderful storehouse is so complete that as the love is distributed, the supply increases hundreds of times."

"jagat ḍubila, jīvera haila bīja nāśa
tāhā dekhi’ pāṅca janera parama ullāsa"

"When the five members of the Pañca-tattva saw the entire world drowned in love of Godhead and the seed of material enjoyment in the living entities completely destroyed, they all became exceedingly happy."

Also, you follow Nitaiism. How is this affiliated with Vaishnavism?

This is a beautiful follow up question to the previous response. So within Gaudiya Vaishnavism there are also many instituations and sub-instituations in which the founders try and give something unique. Srila Prabhupada's ISKCON movement was specifically tailored towards the people of the western world (who would have had no idea about Vedic and Vaishnav philosophy), and so Prabhupada spent alot of time establishing the very basics of bhakti in his books. Later Srila Bhaktivedanta Narayan Maharaj came (part of Gaudiya Vedanta Samhiti) and to give the followers of ISKCON the deeper and more confidential parts of Gaudiya Philosophy (i.e taking the shelter of Radharani and Her glories). Other acharyas like Bhakti Rakshaka Sridhara Maharaj (part of Sri Chaitanya Gaudiya Math) presented Gaudiya Vaishnav theology in a highly logical and philosophical way (his books in particular are wonderful). So Nitaism is also such a sub-institution. Of the Panca Tattva (that I described above), Lord Chaitanya and Lord Nityananda are the highest. They are considered to be non-different from each other:

eka-i svarūpa doṅhe, bhinna-mātra kāya
ādya kāya-vyūha, kṛṣṇa-līlāra sahāya

These two (Lord Chaitanya and Nitai) are one and the same identity. They differ only in form. Lord Balarāma is the first bodily expansion of Kṛṣṇa, and He assists in Lord Kṛṣṇa’s transcendental pastimes.

However of these two personalities, Lord Nityananda is the most merciful. In-fact according to all Gaudiyas, Nitai is the most limit of mercy (please see my signature).While Lord Gauranga only gives His mercy those devotees who chant constantly chant Harinama and stay away from offenses (particularly Vaishnav aparadha), Lord Nityananda Prabhu will give His mercy to anyone who has a little faith. He is the suitable incarnation to deliver all the fallen souls of Kaliyuga who are running away from God (Nitai will chase them if the try to run away hehehe). That is why Madhavendra Puri who was a great acharya in the line of Madhava and the guru of Nityananda Prabhu, he proclaims:

nityananda-hena bhakta sunile sravane
avasya paibe krishnacandra sei jane.

"If one simply hears the name 'Nityananda', he will most certainly attain the lotus feet of Lord Krishnacandra irrespective of any other consideration."

So out of his deep mercy and desire to spread the glories of Lord Nitai, my Gurudeva has started this movement of Nitaism, understanding Lord Nitai's importance firstly in our Sampradaya and also in the pathway to attain Sri Sri Radha Krsna. Lord Nitai is so so merciful, I cannot even begin to describe it. Srila Krsnadas Kaviraj, who was the writer of Chaitanya Charitarmta, he prays to Lord Nitai in the following way (these verses are my favorite in all scripture btw):

emana nirghṛṇa more kebā kṛpā kare
eka nityānanda vinu jagat bhitare

Who in this world but Nityānanda could show His mercy to such an abominable person as me?

preme matta nityānanda kṛpā-avatāra
uttama, adhama, kichu nā kare vicāra

Because He is intoxicated by ecstatic love and is an incarnation of mercy, He does not distinguish between the good and the bad.

ye āge paḍaye, tāre karaye nistāra
ataeva nistārilā mo-hena durācāra

He delivers all those who fall down before Him. Therefore He has delivered such a sinful and fallen person as me.

āpanāra kathā likhi nirlajja ha-iyā
nityānanda-guṇe lekhāya unmatta kariyā

I have described my own story without reservations. The attributes of Lord Nityānanda, making me like a madman, force me to write these things.

jaya jaya nityānanda-caraṇāravinda
yāṅhā haite pāinu śrī-rādhā-govinda

All glory, all glory to the lotus feet of Lord Nityānanda, by whose mercy I have attained Śrī Rādhā-Govinda!

This is the importance of Lord Nityananda Prabhu in our sampradaya, and my Gurudeva (under the order of His Gurudeva) is selflessly trying to preach the glories of Lord Nitai to the world. He (My Gurudeva) used to say to us, "I am so sinful, that if I appeared in front of Lord Narasimha, then the Lord would rip me to shreds with His claws. If I dared to show my face to Lord Krsna, then He would immediately behead me with His Sudarshan Cakra. Even Lord Gauranga will not even look at me. But it is only Nitai, who will care for me, no matter what I do. Why do I exclusively glorify Nitai? Because it is only Nitai who saved me."

However we must remember all the institutions I have described above all fall under the giant tree of Gaudiya Vaishnavism, which falls under Vaisnavism as a whole. There is variety in unity. Please forgive me for my long answer :praying::praying::praying:.

Spelling, Nitai Dasa - Prabhvi or Prabhavi.

Hari Hari, Thank you Aupmanyavji. I myself learnt the word a few months ago so never sure how to actually spell it. :praying::praying::praying:

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
Nitai! Thank you for your questions Terese ji :praying::praying::praying::praying:. I will try and answer them to the best of my ability:

You are correctly right in your observations. Lord Chaitanya descended along with 4 other associates who are non different from Him. They are collectively refereed to as "Pancha Tattva" (meaning 5 subjects). Below you can see the massive Pancha Tattva Deities which were installed in Sri Dhama Mayapura (the birth place of Lord Gaurhari):

mayapurpanchatattva2.jpg

I will start the explanation with the following verse, in Chaitanya Charitamrta:

pañca-tattvātmakaṁ kṛṣṇaṁ
bhakta-rūpa-svarūpakam
bhaktāvatāraṁ bhaktākhyaṁ
namāmi bhakta-śaktikam

"Let me offer my obeisances unto Lord Śrī Kṛṣṇa, who has manifested Himself in five as a devotee, expansion of a devotee, incarnation of a devotee, pure devotee and devotional energy."

So when Sri Krsna descends unto the earth in Kaliyuga, He descends in 5 forms. They are Bhakta Rupa (form of devotee, as Sri Chaitanya in the middle), Bhakta Swarupa (nature of devotee, Nityananda Prabhu on Gaura's left), Bhakta Avatar (incarnation of devotee, Adwaita Acharya on the very left, who is considered an incarnation of Sadasiva), Bhaktakhyam (Pure devotee, Srivasa Thakura on the very right who is an incarnation of Narada Muni) and Bhakta shakta (or the devotional energy, Gadadhara Pandit on Gaura's right, who is an incarnation of Radharani). These five personalities are fundamental in the distribution of Krsna Prema when Lord Gauranga was on this earth.

"luṭiyā, khāiyā, diyā, bhāṇḍāra ujāḍe
āścarya bhāṇḍāra, prema śata-guṇa bāḍe"

"Although the members of the Pañca-tattva plundered the storehouse of love of Godhead and ate and distributed its contents, there was no scarcity, for this wonderful storehouse is so complete that as the love is distributed, the supply increases hundreds of times."

"jagat ḍubila, jīvera haila bīja nāśa
tāhā dekhi’ pāṅca janera parama ullāsa"

"When the five members of the Pañca-tattva saw the entire world drowned in love of Godhead and the seed of material enjoyment in the living entities completely destroyed, they all became exceedingly happy."

This is a beautiful follow up question to the previous response. So within Gaudiya Vaishnavism there are also many instituations and sub-instituations in which the founders try and give something unique. Srila Prabhupada's ISKCON movement was specifically tailored towards the people of the western world (who would have had no idea about Vedic and Vaishnav philosophy), and so Prabhupada spent alot of time establishing the very basics of bhakti in his books. Later Srila Bhaktivedanta Narayan Maharaj came (part of Gaudiya Vedanta Samhiti) and to give the followers of ISKCON the deeper and more confidential parts of Gaudiya Philosophy (i.e taking the shelter of Radharani and Her glories). Other acharyas like Bhakti Rakshaka Sridhara Maharaj (part of Sri Chaitanya Gaudiya Math) presented Gaudiya Vaishnav theology in a highly logical and philosophical way (his books in particular are wonderful). So Nitaism is also such a sub-institution. Of the Panca Tattva (that I described above), Lord Chaitanya and Lord Nityananda are the highest. They are considered to be non-different from each other:

eka-i svarūpa doṅhe, bhinna-mātra kāya
ādya kāya-vyūha, kṛṣṇa-līlāra sahāya

These two (Lord Chaitanya and Nitai) are one and the same identity. They differ only in form. Lord Balarāma is the first bodily expansion of Kṛṣṇa, and He assists in Lord Kṛṣṇa’s transcendental pastimes.

However of these two personalities, Lord Nityananda is the most merciful. In-fact according to all Gaudiyas, Nitai is the most limit of mercy (please see my signature).While Lord Gauranga only gives His mercy those devotees who chant constantly chant Harinama and stay away from offenses (particularly Vaishnav aparadha), Lord Nityananda Prabhu will give His mercy to anyone who has a little faith. He is the suitable incarnation to deliver all the fallen souls of Kaliyuga who are running away from God (Nitai will chase them if the try to run away hehehe). That is why Madhavendra Puri who was a great acharya in the line of Madhava and the guru of Nityananda Prabhu, he proclaims:

nityananda-hena bhakta sunile sravane
avasya paibe krishnacandra sei jane.

"If one simply hears the name 'Nityananda', he will most certainly attain the lotus feet of Lord Krishnacandra irrespective of any other consideration."

So out of his deep mercy and desire to spread the glories of Lord Nitai, my Gurudeva has started this movement of Nitaism, understanding Lord Nitai's importance firstly in our Sampradaya and also in the pathway to attain Sri Sri Radha Krsna. Lord Nitai is so so merciful, I cannot even begin to describe it. Srila Krsnadas Kaviraj, who was the writer of Chaitanya Charitarmta, he prays to Lord Nitai in the following way (these verses are my favorite in all scripture btw):

emana nirghṛṇa more kebā kṛpā kare
eka nityānanda vinu jagat bhitare

Who in this world but Nityānanda could show His mercy to such an abominable person as me?

preme matta nityānanda kṛpā-avatāra
uttama, adhama, kichu nā kare vicāra

Because He is intoxicated by ecstatic love and is an incarnation of mercy, He does not distinguish between the good and the bad.

ye āge paḍaye, tāre karaye nistāra
ataeva nistārilā mo-hena durācāra

He delivers all those who fall down before Him. Therefore He has delivered such a sinful and fallen person as me.

āpanāra kathā likhi nirlajja ha-iyā
nityānanda-guṇe lekhāya unmatta kariyā

I have described my own story without reservations. The attributes of Lord Nityānanda, making me like a madman, force me to write these things.

jaya jaya nityānanda-caraṇāravinda
yāṅhā haite pāinu śrī-rādhā-govinda

All glory, all glory to the lotus feet of Lord Nityānanda, by whose mercy I have attained Śrī Rādhā-Govinda!

This is the importance of Lord Nityananda Prabhu in our sampradaya, and my Gurudeva (under the order of His Gurudeva) is selflessly trying to preach the glories of Lord Nitai to the world. He (My Gurudeva) used to say to us, "I am so sinful, that if I appeared in front of Lord Narasimha, then the Lord would rip me to shreds with His claws. If I dared to show my face to Lord Krsna, then He would immediately behead me with His Sudarshan Cakra. Even Lord Gauranga will not even look at me. But it is only Nitai, who will care for me, no matter what I do. Why do I exclusively glorify Nitai? Because it is only Nitai who saved me."

However we must remember all the institutions I have described above all fall under the giant tree of Gaudiya Vaishnavism, which falls under Vaisnavism as a whole. There is variety in unity. Please forgive me for my long answer :praying::praying::praying:.

Hari Hari, Thank you Aupmanyavji. I myself learnt the word a few months ago so never sure how to actually spell it. :praying::praying::praying:
You completely answered my question in full :)

निताइ dasa

Haribol! Am in the mood to share some kirtans (forgive me). This kirtan is specifically for @ratikala mataji, for everything she has done for us and also this whole forum. I am sure she will like it :praying::praying::praying::praying::praying: I love at about 4.30 the Kirtan becomes so ecstatic and fast paced. It is sung by Srila Gour Govinda Swami.

https://soundcloud.com/https%3A%2F%2Fsoundcloud.com%2Fshodaimesenju%2Fdoya-koro-more-nitai-sung-by-gaur-govinda-swami
doya koro more nitai, doya koro more
agatira gati nitai sadhu loke bole

Please me merciful to me Nitai, please be merciful. You are the only shelter for the shelterless, this is what the Sadhus (Saints) tell me.

jaya prema bhakti data-pataka tomara
uttama adhama kichhu na kaila bichara

All glories to Your flag, which gives Bhakti and Prema to all. It does not even consider the distinction between one who is great and one who is fallen.

prema dane jagajaner mana kaila sukhi
tumi hena doyara thakura ami kene dukhi

You have given to Love to everyone in the world and made them happy. If I have such a merciful Lord, why am I still sad?

kanu rama dasa bole ki boliba ami
e bada bharasa more kuler thakura tumi

Kanu Rama das Thakura says "What else can I say? I have full faith in You Nitai, because you are Kuler Thakura (the head of my lineage, i.e the ultimate father of all Jivas)"

ratikala

Istha gosthi
namaskaram Prabhu ji's

sorry I am a little behind , ...so going back to page 17 , ....

to describe this inconceivable oneness and difference we may use the analogy of fire or of water in either case we are talking about unfathomable depth and power , ...and by saying that jivas are akin to sparks or to water droplets poses a very interesting question about our nature of seperation , ....

all differences here arrise out of our feeling of seperateness and in that seperateness there is ignorance our true nature , ..and due to our partial understanding of the supreme we ascribe to him different qualities, ....neither the water droplet or the spark can fully comprehend the eternaity of the Supreme , ....

here again the drop of water or the spark from the flame can be veiwed a potentialities , ...under the correct condittions they can become stronger or under the wrong conditions the spark may dwindle and die , simmilarly the water droplet may become dried up , ..But the eternal fire or vast ocean from which the jiva springs is Sat Cit Ananda , ...it is eternal and being in full knowledge it will not wither or die it maintains its strength eternaly , ....no matter how many droplets leave the ocean the ocean is never diminished similarly the fire never looses its strength , ...
we however by this sepperation alone we have become forgetfull of our position therefore even if we regain the bliss and knowledge of realisation , there is still a partial difference between the Supreme who is never forgetfull and the Jiva who has suffered the sepperation of ignorance , ..thus the realised jiva falls at the feet of the lord both to beg the lords mercy that he never again suffers sepperation , and he falls also at the Feet of the Lord whos nature is eternal and untainted , ...in this way there is allways a subtle difference even between the realised Jiva and the object of his realisation , ....

ratikala

Istha gosthi
namaskaram Nitai Dasa ji , ...

Haribol! Am in the mood to share some kirtans (forgive me). This kirtan is specifically for @ratikala mataji, for everything she has done for us and also this whole forum. I am sure she will like it :praying::praying::praying::praying::praying: I love at about 4.30 the Kirtan becomes so ecstatic and fast paced. It is sung by Srila Gour Govinda Swami.

And my humble appologies to al the people I have anoyed by being so particularly staunch and un relenting about some things , .....and for my terrible spelling at any time of day , ...

but thank you ji , ...I think all have guessed by now I love Bhajan and Kirtan , ....particularly , .....
"sabse oonchi prema sagai"

and Gour Govinda Swami , ......Jai Jai

''You have given to Love to everyone in the world and made them happy. If I have such a merciful Lord, why am I still sad?''

so sweet , soo true , ..so poingient in the instance of Gour Govinda Maharaj , .....

Pranamas

ratikala

Istha gosthi
Namaskaram Nitai Dasa ji , ....

Haribol! Am in the mood to share some kirtans (forgive me)

Tonight l am too to tired to post any more than this most beautifull Bhajan , ....Easpecialy for NitaiDasa ji whom l hope will appreciate it as l am at this moment having just found it , .....

....''O stealer of my everything! O Thief! Today I have imprisoned You in the miserable prison-house of my heart which is very fearful due to the terrible darkness of my ignorance, and there for a very long time You will remain, receiving appropriate punishment for Your crimes of thievery!''......

Oh I love it , .....

LYRICS:
(1)
vraje prasiddhaḿ navanīta-cauraḿ
gopāńganānāḿ ca dukūla-cauram
aneka-janmārjita-pāpa-cauraḿ
caurāgragaṇyaḿ puruṣaḿ namāmi

(2)
śrī rādhikāyā hṛdayasya cauraḿ
navāmbuda-śyāmala-kānti-cauram
padāśritānāḿ ca samasta-cauraḿ

(3)
akiñcanī-kṛtya padāśritaḿ yaḥ
karoti bhikṣuḿ pathi geha-hīnam
kenāpy aho bhīṣaṇa-caura īdṛg
dṛṣṭaḥ-śruto vā na jagat-traye ’pi

(4)
yadīya nāmāpi haraty aśeṣaḿ
giri-prasārān api pāpa-rāśīn
āścarya-rūpo nanu caura īdṛg
dṛṣṭaḥ śruto vā na mayā kadāpi

(5)
dhanaḿ ca mānaḿ ca tathendriyāṇi
prāṇāḿś ca hṛtvā mama sarvam eva
palāyase kutra dhṛto ’dya caura
tvaḿ bhakti-dāmnāsi mayā niruddhaḥ

(6)
chinatsi ghoraḿ yama-pāśa-bandhaḿ
bhinatsi bhīmaḿ bhava-pāśa-bandham
chinatsi sarvasya samasta-bandhaḿ
naivātmano bhakta-kṛtaḿ tu bandham

(7)
man-mānase tāmasa-rāśi-ghore
kārāgṛhe duḥkha-maye nibaddhaḥ
labhasva he caura! hare! cirāya
sva-caurya-doṣocitam eva daṇḍam

(8)
kārāgṛhe vasa sadā hṛdaye madīye
mad-bhakti-pāśa-dṛḍha-bandhana-niścalaḥ san
tvāḿ kṛṣṇa he! pralaya-koṭi-śatāntare ’pi
sarvasva-caura! hṛdayān na hi mocayāmi

TRANSLATION
1) I offer pranama to that foremost of thieves – who is famous in Vraja as the butter-thief and He who steals the gopis’ clothes, and who, for those who take shelter of Him, steals the sins which have accrued over many lifetimes.

2) I offer pranama to the foremost of thieves – who steals Srimati Radhika’s heart, who steals the dark luster of a fresh raincloud, and who steals all the sins and sufferings of those who take shelter of His feet.

3) He turns His surrendered devotees into paupers and wandering, homeless beggars – aho! such a fearsome thief has never been seen or heard of in all the three worlds.

4) Mere utterance of His name purges one of a mountain of sins – such an astonishingly wonderful thief I have never seen or heard of anywhere!

5) O Thief! Having stolen my wealth, my honour, my senses, my life and my everything, where can You run to? I have caught You with the rope of my devotion.

6) You cut the terrible noose of Yamaraja, You sever the dreadful noose of material existence, and You slash everyone’s material bondage, but You are unable to cut the knot fastened by Your own loving devotees.

7) O stealer of my everything! O Thief! Today I have imprisoned You in the miserable prison-house of my heart which is very fearful due to the terrible darkness of my ignorance, and there for a very long time You will remain, receiving appropriate punishment for Your crimes of thievery!

8) O Krsna, thief of my everything! The noose of my devotion remaining forever tight, You will continue to reside in the prison-house of my heart because I will not release You for millions of aeons.

निताइ dasa

Tonight l am too to tired to post any more than this most beautifull Bhajan , ....Easpecialy for NitaiDasa ji whom l hope will appreciate it as l am at this moment having just found it , .....

....''O stealer of my everything! O Thief! Today I have imprisoned You in the miserable prison-house of my heart which is very fearful due to the terrible darkness of my ignorance, and there for a very long time You will remain, receiving appropriate punishment for Your crimes of thievery!''......

Oh I love it , .....

LYRICS:
(1)

(2)

(3)

(4)

(5)

(6)

(7)

(8)

TRANSLATION
1) I offer pranama to that foremost of thieves – who is famous in Vraja as the butter-thief and He who steals the gopis’ clothes, and who, for those who take shelter of Him, steals the sins which have accrued over many lifetimes.

2) I offer pranama to the foremost of thieves – who steals Srimati Radhika’s heart, who steals the dark luster of a fresh raincloud, and who steals all the sins and sufferings of those who take shelter of His feet.

3) He turns His surrendered devotees into paupers and wandering, homeless beggars – aho! such a fearsome thief has never been seen or heard of in all the three worlds.

4) Mere utterance of His name purges one of a mountain of sins – such an astonishingly wonderful thief I have never seen or heard of anywhere!

5) O Thief! Having stolen my wealth, my honour, my senses, my life and my everything, where can You run to? I have caught You with the rope of my devotion.

6) You cut the terrible noose of Yamaraja, You sever the dreadful noose of material existence, and You slash everyone’s material bondage, but You are unable to cut the knot fastened by Your own loving devotees.

7) O stealer of my everything! O Thief! Today I have imprisoned You in the miserable prison-house of my heart which is very fearful due to the terrible darkness of my ignorance, and there for a very long time You will remain, receiving appropriate punishment for Your crimes of thievery!

8) O Krsna, thief of my everything! The noose of my devotion remaining forever tight, You will continue to reside in the prison-house of my heart because I will not release You for millions of aeons.

Nitai! Thank you so much for this Bhajan. You can understand my heart, this is one of my favourite bhajans also. I especially love verse 6, Bilvamangala Thakura is saying, "Oh Krsna You are so powerful, You can cut all the bonds of human existence, whether that is the noose of Yama Raja (god of Death), or even the karmic bonds which bind us to this body. But my Lord you can't cut the sweet bond of Love that the devotees tie you with, you become totally under their control. I love this mood of Thakura, as Lord Sri Krsna Himself says in Chaitanya Charitamrta:

mora putra, mora sakhā, mora prāṇa-pati
ei-bhāve yei more kare śuddha-bhakti
āpanāke baḍa māne, āmāre sama-hīna
sei bhāve ha-i āmi tāhāra adhīna

""If one cherishes pure loving devotion to Me, thinking of Me as his son, his friend or his beloved, regarding himself as great and considering Me his equal or inferior, I become subordinate to him."

Hari Haribol! That is why Yashoda Maa can bind Sri Krsna to a mortar (In the Damodara pastime) and He, although being the Lord Himself is unable to free Himself (even though He wants to so badly). That is why Satyavrata Muni prays in Padma Purana, after describing this beautiful Lila:

"namas te’ stu damne sphurad-dipti-dhamne
tvadiyodarayatha vishvasya dhamne
namo radhikayai tvadiya-priyayai
namo’ nanta-lilaya devaya tubhyam"

"My respects to this great rope, reservoir of dazzling effulgence, and to Your belly, which contains the entire cosmos.
Obeisances to Your beloved Shrimati Radhika.
O Lord! I bow down to You, the transcendental hero of these divine and eternal pastimes.”

Srila Sanatana Goswami's commentary (called Dig-darshini-tika) on this verse says:

"How is this belly? “It is the substratum of the whole universe. It includes the manifestation of all moving and non-moving objects: the lotus containing all the fourteen planetary systems springs up from this very abdomen. This evokes the Universal Form which was shown twice to Mother Yashoda. In fact, by fastening Krishna’s belly, Yashoda subdued not only Krishna, but also the entire universe contained in it. The Lord displayed His exclusive affection for His devotee by allowing her to tie Him, although it is otherwise impossible to bind the unlimited Lord. The inconceivable feat of fitting the contraction of the whole universe within the ties educes His mind-boggling potency.The reason of offering respects first to the rope and then to the belly is the position of the rope over the tied abdomen, or the intention to express the superior status of the belly."

Damodara-lila.jpg

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member

Oh I love it , .....

LYRICS:
(1)

(2)

(3)

(4)

(5)

(6)

(7)

(8)

TRANSLATION

Is that Krishna in the picture?
Nitai! Thank you so much for this Bhajan. You can understand my heart, this is one of my favourite bhajans also. I especially love verse 6, Bilvamangala Thakura is saying, "Oh Krsna You are so powerful, You can cut all the bonds of human existence, whether that is the noose of Yama Raja (god of Death), or even the karmic bonds which bind us to this body. But my Lord you can't cut the sweet bond of Love that the devotees tie you with, you become totally under their control. I love this mood of Thakura, as Lord Sri Krsna Himself says in Chaitanya Charitamrta:

mora putra, mora sakhā, mora prāṇa-pati
ei-bhāve yei more kare śuddha-bhakti
āpanāke baḍa māne, āmāre sama-hīna
sei bhāve ha-i āmi tāhāra adhīna

""If one cherishes pure loving devotion to Me, thinking of Me as his son, his friend or his beloved, regarding himself as great and considering Me his equal or inferior, I become subordinate to him."

Hari Haribol! That is why Yashoda Maa can bind Sri Krsna to a mortar (In the Damodara pastime) and He, although being the Lord Himself is unable to free Himself (even though He wants to so badly). That is why Satyavrata Muni prays in Padma Purana, after describing this beautiful Lila:

"namas te’ stu damne sphurad-dipti-dhamne
tvadiyodarayatha vishvasya dhamne
namo radhikayai tvadiya-priyayai
namo’ nanta-lilaya devaya tubhyam"

"My respects to this great rope, reservoir of dazzling effulgence, and to Your belly, which contains the entire cosmos.
Obeisances to Your beloved Shrimati Radhika.
O Lord! I bow down to You, the transcendental hero of these divine and eternal pastimes.”

Srila Sanatana Goswami's commentary (called Dig-darshini-tika) on this verse says:

"How is this belly? “It is the substratum of the whole universe. It includes the manifestation of all moving and non-moving objects: the lotus containing all the fourteen planetary systems springs up from this very abdomen. This evokes the Universal Form which was shown twice to Mother Yashoda. In fact, by fastening Krishna’s belly, Yashoda subdued not only Krishna, but also the entire universe contained in it. The Lord displayed His exclusive affection for His devotee by allowing her to tie Him, although it is otherwise impossible to bind the unlimited Lord. The inconceivable feat of fitting the contraction of the whole universe within the ties educes His mind-boggling potency.The reason of offering respects first to the rope and then to the belly is the position of the rope over the tied abdomen, or the intention to express the superior status of the belly."

Damodara-lila.jpg
Fantastic picture. Do you know who the artist is?

ratikala

Istha gosthi
Namaskaram Terese ji

Is that Krishna in the picture?

Where the Deities are with Hands Raised this is Lord Chaitanya and Lord Nityananda , affectionatly known as

Gaura Nitai , ...Lord Chaitanya to the right and Lord Nityananda to the left , they are allmost allways seen like this as they are dancing and Chanting , ..some other Gaudiya math traditions have lord Chaitanya alone or asside to Radha Krsna

these Deities are very typical of Iskcon deities which sit below or to the side of the Radha Krsna Deities , ...Krsna himself is allmost allways seen standng in his Tribunga form , (Three bending) holding a flute , ...

93192f11ad117272a2ee9e958315b42e.jpg

excepting when shown depicting other lila , ....such as lifting Goverdhan hill , ....still you will see the tribunga form
images

later in the Video for a short while you will see Sita Rama and Laxman , .....

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
They consider Balarama to be the ninth (or eighth, he was elder to Krishna. Krishna addressed him as 'Dau' - elder brother) avatara of Lord Vshnu, instead of Lord Buddha as most other Hindus believe (or as mentioned in SrimadBhagawatham). :)

निताइ dasa

A question - How important is Balarama to Gaudiyas?

Extremely important I would say. Balaramaji is the embodiment of Guru Tattva (He is called "Akhanda Guru Tattva"), and so Gurudeva is a partial manifestation of Balaram in a way. Sri Balaram is also "prakash" ( by whose light Krsna is revealed). Every single scripture and knowledge about Lord Krsna is first manifest by Balaramji. As Sesha Naga, Balaramji resides in Patala Loka (the lower planetary systems) and Bhagavatam first manifests from His mouth. It was only Balaramji who placed Sutadeva Goswami on the Vyasapitha and empowered him to speak the Bhagavatam. It is from Balaram that the jivas appear, and therefore He is our actual father. The topmost devotee of Sri Sri Radha Krsna is Balaram (just like no-one serves Sita Rama better than Lakshmanji), and so without His mercy one cannot approach the divine couple. These are also the reasons why Nityananda Prabhu (who is the most merciful form of Balaram) is worshiped so highly by us Gaudiyas. With His Hala (plough), Nityananda Balarama makes our hearts fertile to receive the seed of Bhakti, and with His Gada (Mace), He crushes the false ego in the heart. He is the friend of the fallen. Duryodhana was so so wicked in the Mahabharata, yet Balarama ji accepted him as His disciple. Balarama ki Jaya!

edit: Thought you might like this picture of Balaramji fighting the Gorilla Dvivida:

134-balarama-ubivaet-gorillu-dvividu.jpg

Last edited: