• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gaudiya Vaishnavism queries and discussion thread.

निताइ dasa

Nitai's servant's servant
Okay, so is Ekadashi, and I was doing some Nitai Kirtan, and I found this wonderful (yet rare) bhajan by Premananda das Thakur. Unfortunately, the Bhajan is in Bengali and because it is so rare, I could not find an English translation (so you will all have to tolerate my translation ahah). In this Bhajan, Premananda das Thakura is responding to those caste conscious people at that time who believe that they had a right of Bhakti simply because of their Birth. Thakur refuted their views with this Bhajan:

emon ki kore varṇa kūl jei kūle
keno janama nā hoy kevala bhakati mūl

What does this caste and birth consciousness achieve? Why even after being born in such "high caste" does Pure Bhakti not manifest?

kapi kūle dhanya vīra hanumān śrī rāma bhakata rāja
rākṣasa hoiyā vibhīṣaṇa boiśe iśwara sabara mājha

The warrior Hanuman appearred in the lineage of the apes, and blessed them, for he is known as the king of all devotees of Lord Rama. Even being born in a demonic family, Vibhishana sits with the Supreme Lord Himself.

daityera rase prahlāda janami bhūbane rākhilo jaśa
sphatiko sthambhete prakaṭe nṛhari hoiyā jāhāra baśa

Even Prahlad Maharaj was born in the demonic family and taught such values. Yet Lord Narahari appeared from the pillar and was controlled by Prahlad's Love.

caṇḍāla hoiyā mitāli korilā guhaka caṇḍāla bar
bolo nā ki tul vidurera chilo khāilo tāhāra ghar

"Despite being a dog-eater, Guhaka was best friends with Lord Ramachandra. Even though Vidhura did not have much, Lord Krsna ate at his house.

dekho na kemon sādhana korilo gokulera gopera nāri
jati kūl achare tabe ki korilo sei hari jei bhaje tari

"Look! What Sadhana (Spiritual practice) did the Gopis and Gopas of Gokula do? Despite their caste and family, they worshiped Hari and were delivered.

śri kṛṣṇa bhajane sabe adhikāri kūlera garabha nāi
kahe premānanda jei kare garabha nityanto murkha bhāi

"O Brother, everyone is eligible for Krsna Bhakti, and Devotees are never proud of their birth. Premananda das says, whoever has pride in his birth and family, is an eternal fool"

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
This is a wonderful post! Dasa! Even though my Indian side of the family can at times be a bit racist against dalits, and status types and a bit snobby, I AM STRONGLY ANTI-CASTE. Meaning against such discrimination.

why?... because I am proudly a Western Hindu of NO CASTE (no jati), and will always support my fellow Western Hindus to even hell itself (which does not exist as a permanent residence but there are underworlds). I almost cried reading this.

well... not really (cry). Because I am sort of detached - how to say? Not good at empathy? But I do cry sometmes when I sing bhajans but not voice crying but can still carry the tune - actually, I was known to hypnotize others in a group in the old days doing bhajans on a guitar - bhajans can "take you over" if you will. So this post made me feel like that. Thanks!

निताइ dasa

So, I was doing Nitai Vayulekhan yesterday, and it inspired me to write the following bhajan. Let me know what you guys think :) I was going to sing it, but it is in the same tune, as Meerabai's Bhajan (see below). Plus I won't put you through hearing my voice.

Baso mere nainan mein Nitaichand! (refrain)

Please reside in my vision, O Moonlike Nitai

Nama tomara likhoon nisi din
Akshara bane vishala

After writing Your Name day and night, the syllables have become enormous

Baso mere nainan mein Nitaichand!

Ati doyala Nama prabhava
ave nahi araam

The influence of these Syllables is extremely merciful, one cannot rest after starting.

Yeh dasha shloka purana kare kama
bhaage dasha aparadha!

These 10 verses (represented by 10 syllables of Nitai), fulfill all desires and cause the 10 offenses to the Holy Name to flee!

Choole Nitai ka maakhan sama rupa
Baandh Akshara ki mala

Please touch Nitai's butter-like form, and weave a garland of syllables.

Vayulekhan se, dukhi ananda pave
mile Krsna Gopala!

By the power of Vayulekhan, those who are sad get spiritual bliss, and one attains Krsna Gopala!

f058832a975140ffc6280498b18657d45eb91608.jpg

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Nice, Nitai. The language perhaps could do with some editing. And Lata - the one blessed by Mother Saraswati. Actually Mother Saraswati blesses many, Hindus (Bela Shende, the girl in green sari) as well as Muslims (Mohammad Vakeel, the first singer in the video), but not all get commercial success. That is Mother Lakshmi's department.

1998 Saregama Megafinals with the cream of Indian music masters as judges and special invitees.

Last edited:

निताइ dasa

Nice, Nitai. The language perhaps could do with some editing. And Lata - the one blessed by Mother Saraswati. Actually Mother Saraswati blesses many, Hindus (Bela Shende, the girl in green sari) as well as Muslims (Mohammad Vakeel, the first singer in the video), but not all get commercial success. That is Mother Lakshmi's department.

1998 Saregama Megafinals with the cream of Indian music masters as judges and special invitees.

Very Nice. I am studying music in university also, the India music system is something that is so complex and unique, the west has nothing like it. The theory of ragas and taala, mixed with the improvisational spirit is something which is not found in western classical music. I do admit, I am trying to learn some ragas (apart from Bengali ones I know) to sing for Nitai's pleasure. My Gurudeva's favourite is Raga Yaman. I really like Raga Bhaivari, alots of separation in that Raga. It is actually interesting...the ragas are meant to be sung in sepcific times of the day, and these times correspond according to us Vaishnavs to the particular pastimes of the Lord. Like, in the morning when the Lordships are grazing cows, then particular raga is sung. Or during rasa, another raga is song. I really like this excerpt from Ramayana, which describes how the ragas change according to time:

lalita kare nava bhor vandana
surya behere ranga sunahiri
manda manda bahe pavana chadana

(lalita raga offers her pranam to the new day. The sun scatters the colors so beatiful, and gently the wind blows the fragrance of the chandan.)

saanjh bhayi, panchi ghar, madita mana yaman raga bhairaye

(It is now evening, and the birds are coming home. My maddened mind sings Raga Yaman)

raga des kar rain suhagan chayanat nat chaya rahe angana

Like a new bride, Raga Des adorns the night (I have no idea what the rest is).

madhya raat mein uthe sohini, dakdha hridaya ki viraha krandana

in the middle of the night, awakens Raga Sohini, crying of the separation of the heart.

and the cycle repeats.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Thank internet. Everything is now so easy to find. It took me perhaps 15 seconds to find.
Google search: https://www.google.co.in/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=chayanat nat chaya rahe angana
http://www.parrikar.org/hindustani/nats/

"Raga Chhayanat

Few ragas in the Hindustani community measure up to Chhayanat in popularity. The union of its two constituents – Chhaya and Nat – is so natural as to leave virtually no trace of any suture. Chhaya, like Nat, rarely strikes out on its own. There is some overlap with Nat, and although differences of opinion prevail on the details, there’s a meeting of minds that the meend-laden swoop P–>R is Chhaya’s signpost. The curvature of this P–>R trajectory is subject to variation. It must be underscored that the uccharana here is distinct from the Kalyanic uccharana P-R. A few other features distinguish Chhaya from Nat, such as the de-emphasis of madhyam and rishab, and the injection of shades of Bilawal and Bihag.

These lakshanas are succinctly reviewed by Ramashreya Jha “Ramrang” in this telephone conversation last week. He concludes with an old composition in Chhaya.

The bandish in the foregoing clip, bindiya gir jayagi, is credited to Ramzan Khan “Rangile” of Sikandarabad. “Aftab-e-Mausiqui” Faiyyaz Khan was born into the Rangile tradition and although he came into his own later under the auspices of Agra, his samskaras are said to have been imbibed from the Rangile clan. :) This Rangile is not to be confused with Mohammad Shah “Rangile” who was contemporaneous with Sadarang. .. more"

Chhaya Nat (Naat) videos: https://www.google.co.in/webhp?sour...2&ie=UTF-8#newwindow=1&tbm=vid&q=chayanat+nat

Last edited:

निताइ dasa

Nitai-dasa, may you as one of his devotees, tell us a pastime of Sri Nityananda? His love of Lord Balaram warms my heart :)

He Nitai! You don't realize how happy your question has made me. What can I say about Lord Nitai? I am so insignificant, so I can't even touch His glories. Still, I will try to tell you one of my favorite pastimes.

So, in the land of Navadwipa,(where Lord Chaitanya was born) there were two brothers called Jagai and Madhai. Now these brothers were extremely sinful. They were womanizers and despite being Brahmins, ate Beef. They are always inebriated and in their drunken state they stole other's wealth and murdered and raped as they pleased. Even Lord Gauranga would not even look at them, and the Vaishnavs stayed far away from them out of fear. Now, one day, on Lord Chaitanya's order, Nitai was out and about. And by chance, His glance fell on these two brothers. See, that is the thing about Nitai; as soon as His glance falls on you, He immediately begins thinking of your deliverance. So seeing their pitiful state, Lord Nityananda felt very sorry for them. He though to Himself in His mind:

"My brother Gauranga has descended to deliver the fallen people of this age. Where will He find anyone more fallen than these two? The Lord has not yet revealed Himself to the ordinary people. Not seeing His uncommon influence, they are ridiculing Him. If the Lord bestows mercy on these two sinful drunkards, then the people of the entire world will see His transcendental glories.Being known as Nityananda the servant of Lord Gauranga will only have meaning if I can purify their hearts and deliver them. How wonderful it will be, if they become intoxicated chanting Krishna’s names the same way they are intoxicated at present. If I can make these two take the Lord’s name and cry, I will then consider all My travels to holy places a success. At present, whoever even touches the shadow of these two drunkards at once bathes in the Ganges with his clothes on. I will be extremely fortunate if I am able to get people to accept that simply seeing these drunkards is the same as bathing in the Ganges.”

So Lord Nityananda Prabhu's resolve was made! He and His friend, Haridas Thakur both approached the two drunken brothers and sang in their sweetest voice (Nitai's voice is described in scripture as gambhira, very deep):

"bala krishna bhaja krishna laha krishna nama
krishna mata krishna pita krishna dhana prana

Chant Krishna, worship Krishna, and sing the glories of Krishna. Krishna is your mother, father, wealth, and life.”

Hearing the name of Krsna, the two brothers became enraged, they immediately started to chase Nitai and Haridas Thakur. However the two simply smiled at each other jokingly and ran away. . While running, Nityananda said to Haridasa, “O Vaishnava Haridasa, what do you think? If We survive today, it will be our good fortune.” Haridasa replied, “O Lord, what can I say? It’s all my fault that we’ll soon untimely lose our lives. This is the result of teaching drunkards about Krishna. We’ll soon get our just reward in the form of death.” Speaking like this, both Nityananda and Haridasa ran while smiling. Finally they arrived at the house of Lord Chaitanya. The Lord asked, “Who were those two strangers? What are their names? Being brahmanas, why are they acting like that?” By the way, Gangadasa and Shrivasa Pandita (both friends of the Lord ) were also sitting there. Both of them revealed all the sinful activities committed by these drunkards. They said, “O Lord, their names are Jagai and Madhai?". They’re the sons of a pious brahmana By bad association these two have become so degraded. They cannot live without wine for even a single day. The people of Nadia are most afraid of them. There is no house in Nadia where these two have not committed theft. There is no end to their sins. O Gosai, You must have seen them and known everything.”

Lord Gauranga said, “Yes, yes, I know them very well. If they come here, I’ll cut them both to pieces.”

Lord Nityananda said however, “You can do whatever You want, but as long as these two drunkards are around, I’m not going to preach. Why do You needlessly brag about Yourself? First, You make them chant the names of Govinda. By nature a pious person chants the holy names of Krishna. But these two drunkards don’t know anything except committing sin. If You can deliver these two persons by awarding them devotional service, then Your name as The deliverer of the fallen souls will have meaning. The way Your glories increased by delivering Me will be much more if You deliver these two fallen so"

So a few days later, Nityananda Prabhu was returning home in the evening. Suddenly the two brothers caught Him. Jagai and Madhai screamed, “Who is this? Who are You?” Nityananda Prabhu replied, “I’m going to Lord Gauranga’s house.” Drunk as usual, they asked Lord Nityananda, “What’s Your name?” Nityananda replied, “My name is Avadhuta.” Absorbed in childhood mood, Lord Nityananda thus started to talk with the two drunkards out of His sweet pastimes. He had already decided to deliver these two fallen souls. He thus purposely came to their place that night. Hearing the name Avadhuta, Madhai became extremely angry. He picked up his pitcher and hit Lord Nityananda on the head. As the pitcher hit Lord Nityananda’s head it cut Him and He started bleeding. However Nityananda Prabhu simply remembered Govinda. Seeing Lord Nityananda’s bleeding head, Jagai became compassionate. He forbade Madhai from hitting the Lord again. Jagai said, “Why did you do such a cruel thing? What will you gain by killing a beggar? Leave Him, leave Him. It’s no good to kill a sannyasi.”

People quickly went and told Lord Gauranga about this incident. The Lord instantly rushed to the spot along with His associates. Blood flew from Lord Nityananda’s head. He still simply smiled standing between the two sinners.Seeing blood on Nityananda Prabhu’s head, Lord Gauranga went into a trance and began to invoke His Sudarsana cakra. The Sudarsana cakra instantly appeared there and Jagai and Madhai personally saw it. All the devotees became totally perplexed. In the meantime, Lord Nityananda quickly began to persuade the Lord. He said, “O Lord, when Madhai tried to hit Me again, this Jagai actually saved Me. Just by chance blood came out. I’m not at all disturbed. O Lord, I beg You. Please give Me these two bodies in alms. Please be calm for I have no distress.”

As soon as Lord Gauranga heard that Jagai actually saved Nityananda Prabhu, He became pleased and embraced Jagai. The Lord said to Jagai, “May Krishna be merciful to you. You have purchased Me by saving Nityananda. Ask for any boon you so desire. From today you will achieve loving devotional service.” When the Vaishnavas heard the Lord’s benediction to Jagai, they jubilantly chanted, “All glories to Lord Hari!”

As soon as the Lord gave pure devotional service to Jagai, he at once fell senseless to the ground. The Lord said, “Jagai, please get up and look at Me. I have indeed awarded you love and devotion.” Then, Jagai saw the beautiful four-handed form of Lord Visvambhara, holding a conch, a disc, a club, and a lotus in His hands. Seeing this form of Lord Gauranga, Jagai again fell senseless to the ground. Shri Gauranga then placed His lotus feet on his chest. He obtained the wealth of the Lord’s lotus feet, which are the life and soul of Lakshmi. Jagai caught hold of those invaluable jewels on his chest. Holding the Lord’s lotus feet, Jagai began to cry. Such is the wonderful pastime of Shri Gauranga. Jagai and Madhai were one, but they had appeared in two different bodies. Their piety and sins were also one. As the Lord bestowed mercy on Jagai, Madhai’s heart became purified and changed. In a moment, he took hold of the Lord’s cloth and with folded hands he fell at Lord Gauranga’s lotus feet.

He appealed to the Lord, “O Lord, both Jagai and I committed sins together. Why then do You discriminate in giving Your mercy? Please be merciful to me and I’ll surely chant Your holy names. There’s no one else in the world who can save me.”

The Lord said, “I see no hope for your salvation. You dared to cut Nityananda’s body and make it bleed.”

Madhai replied, “O Lord, don’t say that. Why do You give up Your own merciful nature? When the demons shot arrows at You, why did You still give them Your lotus feet?”

The Lord said, “Your offense is much more grave, since you made Nityananda bleed. Actually, Nityananda is far greater than I am. I make this firm truth known to you.”

Madhai asked, “O Lord, if You’ve indeed told me the truth, then please tell me how I’ll be saved? You’re the crest jewel among doctors expert in curing all diseases. Therefore only if You cure me will my disease be cured. O Lord of the universe, please don’t cheat me. Now I know who You are. How can You hide Yourself now?” The Lord said, “You committed a grave offense at the feet of Nityananda. Now fall at His lotus feet and beg for pardon.”

Ordered by the Lord, Madhai at once caught hold of the invaluable wealth of Lord Nityananda’s lotus feet, which are well known to Revati. Visvambhara said to Nityananda Prabhu, “Listen, Nityananda. It is proper that, if someone falls at Your lotus feet, You should be merciful to him. Since he made You bleed, only You can forgive him. Now he has surrendered unto You.”

Nityananda replied, “O Lord, what can I say? You can bestow mercy to anyone, even to a tree. If I have any piety amassed from previous births, I am giving it all to Madhai. I’m telling You the truth. I don’t care for the offenses he’s done to Me. O Lord, please remove Your illusory energy and be merciful. This Madhai belongs to You.”

Visvambhara (Lord Chaitanya) said, “If You’ve indeed forgiven all his offenses, then please embrace him so his life will be successful.” Instructed by the Lord, Nityananda Prabhu tightly embraced Madhai. All his material bondage and mass of sins were destroyed. Nityananda Prabhu entered the body of Madhai and thus Madhai became fully equipped with the all the energies of the Lord. Thus, both Jagai and Madhai were delivered. They then offered prayers at the lotus feet of Shri Gauranga and Nityananda Prabhu.

Jagai-and-Madhai-ghata.jpg

This pastime is so beautiful to me. It shows us that if Lord Hari (Gauranga) is angry at us, then His devotee (Nitai) can protect us. That is the nature of the Vaishnavs, they simply want to deliver us. Lord Nityananda Prabhu, who is Ananta Sesha, was ready to take a beating simply to deliver Jagai Madhai. There is a saying in bengali emona doyala ara nahi he, mar kheye prema de, (there is no-one is merciful as Nityananda, even after being beaten up, He is ready to give us Love). But Nitai does not care about that. No matter what our offenses are, He embraces us. There is really no qualification needed for His mercy. That is why Lord Nitai is my Lord, life after Life. I don't have the qualification to call anyone else my Lord, because I am so fallen.

And this is only one of His pastimes. In another pastime Lord Nityananda Prabhu breaks the Sannayasa stick of Lord Chaitanya into three pieces. (the meaning behind of this is very very confidential ahah). He likes to break all the rules, because He is avadhuta (madman). prabhu mora nityananda kevala ananda khanda, guna gaya Vrndavandasa!

निताइ dasa

Btw haven't shared a bhajan lately. Sharing one of my favourites:

jaya jaya nityānanda rohiṇī-kumāra
patita uddhāra lāgi su-bāhu pasāra

Glory, glory to Lord Nityananda, the son of Rohini! To deliver the fallen sinners He extends His two arms.

gada gada madhura madhura ādha bola
pare dekhe gare preme dhari deya khola

His half words spoken in a choked voice are the sweetest nectar. Whomever He sees He hugs in the ecstasy of spiritual love.

ḍagamaga locana ghoraye nirantara
soṇāra kamale yena phiraye bhramara

His eyes are always restless. They are like two black bees flying among golden lotus flowers.

dayāra ṭhākura nitā-i para duḥkha jāne
hari-nāmera mālā gānthi dila jane jane

Lord Nitai is the master of mercy. Seeing the people tormented by troubles, He strings for them a necklace of Lord Hari’s holy names. To person after person He gives that necklace.

pāpī pāṣaṇḍī yata karila dalane
dīna hīna jane kaila prema bitaraṇe

The arrogant blasphemers and sinners He rips into shreds. To the poor fallen people He gives the gift of ecstatic spiritual love.

āhā re gaurāńga bali paḍe bhūmi-tale
śarīra bhijila nitā-ira nayanera jale

Calling out, “O! O Gauranga!”, He falls to the ground. His whole body is soaked with tears.

bṛndābana dāsa mane e-i bicarila
dharaṇī upare kibā sumeru paḍila

In his heart Vrndavana dasa thinks: Now Lord Nityananda is like a golden Mount Sumeru fallen to the ground.

14095804_1117221228372547_95021217030851746_n.jpg

निताइ dasa

So, I though I would post here, since there is no other place that is appropriate.

Today, I was remembering the lotus feet of Sriman Vallabhacharya (the founder of the Suddha Adwaita school) and his relationship with Lord Chaitanya. Both were mad in love for Krsna, and the meeting of the two is described very beautifully in Chaitanya Charitamrta. I would like to share a few verses this you all:

"At time, Śrī Vallabha Bhaṭṭa (Vallabhacharya) was staying at Āḍāila-grāma, and when he heard that Śrī Caitanya Mahāprabhu had arrived, he went to His place to see Him. Vallabha Bhaṭṭācārya offered Śrī Caitanya Mahāprabhu his obeisances, and the Lord embraced him. After that, they discussed topics about Kṛṣṇa for some time. Śrī Caitanya Mahāprabhu felt great ecstatic love when they began discussing Kṛṣṇa, but the Lord checked His feelings because He felt shy before Vallabha Bhaṭṭa. Although the Lord restrained Himself externally, ecstatic love raged within. There was no checking that. Vallabha Bhaṭṭa was astonished to detect this. Thereafter, Vallabha Bhaṭṭa invited Śrī Caitanya Mahāprabhu for lunch, and the Lord introduced the brothers Rūpa and Vallabha to him.

From a distance, the brothers Rūpa Gosvāmī and Śrī Anupama (the brother of Rupa Goswami and the father of Srila Jiva Goswami) fell on the ground and offered obeisances to Vallabha Bhaṭṭa with great humility. When Vallabha Bhaṭṭācārya walked toward them, they ran away to a more distant place. Rūpa Gosvāmī said, “I am untouchable and most sinful. Please do not touch me.” Vallabha Bhaṭṭācārya was very much surprised at this. Śrī Caitanya Mahāprabhu, however, was very pleased, and He therefore spoke to him this description of Rūpa Gosvāmī.

Śrī Caitanya Mahāprabhu said, “Don’t touch him, for he belongs to a very low caste. You are a follower of Vedic principles and are a well experienced performer of many sacrifices. You also belong to the aristocracy.”

Hearing the holy name constantly vibrated by the two brothers, Vallabha Bhaṭṭācārya could understand the hints of Śrī Caitanya Mahāprabhu.
Vallabha Bhaṭṭācārya said, “Since these two are constantly chanting the holy name of Kṛṣṇa, how can they be untouchable? On the contrary, they are most exalted.”

Vallabha Bhaṭṭācārya then recited the following verse:

aho bata śva-paco 'to garīyān
yaj-jihvāgre vartate nāma tubhyam
tepus tapas te juhuvuḥ sasnur āryā
brahmānūcur nāma gṛṇanti ye te

My dear Lord, one who always keeps Your holy name on his tongue becomes greater than an initiated brāhmaṇa. Although he may be born in a family of dog-eaters and may therefore, by material calculation, be the lowest among men, he is still glorious. This is the wonderful effect of chanting the holy name of the Lord. It is therefore concluded that one who chants the holy name of the Lord should be understood to have performed all kinds of austerities and great sacrifices mentioned in the Vedas. He has already taken his bath in all the holy places of pilgrimage, he has studied all the Vedas, and he is actually an Āryan.’ ” (Srimad Bhagavatam 3.33.7)

Śrī Caitanya Mahāprabhu was very pleased to hear Vallabha Bhaṭṭa quoting from śāstra about the position of a devotee. The Lord praised him personally, and, feeling ecstatic love of Godhead, began to quote many verses from śāstra. Śrī Caitanya Mahāprabhu said:

śuciḥ sad-bhakti-dīptāgni-
dagdha-durjāti-kalmaṣaḥ
śvapāko 'pi budhaiḥ ślāgyo
na vedajño 'pi nāstikaḥ
bhagavad-bhakti-hīnasya
jātiḥ śāstraṁ japas tapaḥ
aprāṇasyeva dehasya
maṇḍanaṁ loka-rañjanam

‘A person who has the pure characteristics of a brāhmaṇa due to devotional service, which is like a blazing fire burning to ashes all the sinful reactions of past lives, is certainly saved from the consequences of sinful acts, such as taking birth in a lower family. Even though he may be born in a family of dog-eaters, he is recognized by learned scholars. But although a person may be a learned scholar in Vedic knowledge, he is not recognized if he is an atheist. For a person devoid of devotional service, birth in a great family or nation, knowledge of the revealed scriptures, performance of austerities and penance, and chanting of Vedic mantras are all like ornaments on a dead body. Such ornaments simply serve the concocted pleasures of the general populace.’ ” ( Hari-bhakti-sudhodaya 3.11,12)

When he saw the Lord’s ecstatic love, Vallabha Bhaṭṭācārya was certainly very much astonished. He was also astonished by the Lord’s knowledge of the essence of devotional service, as well as by His personal beauty and influence. Vallabha Bhaṭṭācārya then put Śrī Caitanya Mahāprabhu and His associates aboard a boat and took them to his own place to offer them lunch.

Lord-Chaitanya-and-Rupa-Goswami.jpg

Srila Vallabhacharya has written such beautiful commentaries oni Brahma Sutras, Gita as well as a beautiful commentary to Srimad Bhagavatam. Vallabhacharya ki Jaya!! He also wrote a beautiful bhajans called madhurasthakam:

The lyrics are so beautiful as they compare Sri Krsna to madhura (meaning sweeter than honey).

adharam madhuram- O Krsna Your lips are sweet vadanam madhuram- Your face is sweet. nayanam madhuranam- Your eyes are sweet. hasitam madhuram- Your laugh is sweet
hridayam madhuraam- Your heart is sweet, gamanam madhuram- The way You walk here and there is sweet madhuradhipate akhilam madhuram- O You who art the Lord sweetness, You are sweetness itself!

And so on Vallabhacharya writes.

Kirran

Premium Member
You know, I met a couple of Gaudiya Vaishnavas, associated with ISKCON, who were staying at Skanda Vale for much of Navaratri. One had been personally associated with Prabhupad. Did his laundry for him etc.

They both found SV very beautiful, and I think may well become regulars. It was really nice how the woman was saying things like 'If Radharani has brought me here where the prasad contains onion and garlic, then of course I will eat onion and garlic' and so on.

The guy in particular also had a really amazing vibe, you couldn't help smiling around him.

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
So, I though I would post here, since there is no other place that is appropriate.

Today, I was remembering the lotus feet of Sriman Vallabhacharya (the founder of the Suddha Adwaita school) and his relationship with Lord Chaitanya. Both were mad in love for Krsna, and the meeting of the two is described very beautifully in Chaitanya Charitamrta. I would like to share a few verses this you all:

"At time, Śrī Vallabha Bhaṭṭa (Vallabhacharya) was staying at Āḍāila-grāma, and when he heard that Śrī Caitanya Mahāprabhu had arrived, he went to His place to see Him. Vallabha Bhaṭṭācārya offered Śrī Caitanya Mahāprabhu his obeisances, and the Lord embraced him. After that, they discussed topics about Kṛṣṇa for some time. Śrī Caitanya Mahāprabhu felt great ecstatic love when they began discussing Kṛṣṇa, but the Lord checked His feelings because He felt shy before Vallabha Bhaṭṭa. Although the Lord restrained Himself externally, ecstatic love raged within. There was no checking that. Vallabha Bhaṭṭa was astonished to detect this. Thereafter, Vallabha Bhaṭṭa invited Śrī Caitanya Mahāprabhu for lunch, and the Lord introduced the brothers Rūpa and Vallabha to him.

From a distance, the brothers Rūpa Gosvāmī and Śrī Anupama (the brother of Rupa Goswami and the father of Srila Jiva Goswami) fell on the ground and offered obeisances to Vallabha Bhaṭṭa with great humility. When Vallabha Bhaṭṭācārya walked toward them, they ran away to a more distant place. Rūpa Gosvāmī said, “I am untouchable and most sinful. Please do not touch me.” Vallabha Bhaṭṭācārya was very much surprised at this. Śrī Caitanya Mahāprabhu, however, was very pleased, and He therefore spoke to him this description of Rūpa Gosvāmī.

Śrī Caitanya Mahāprabhu said, “Don’t touch him, for he belongs to a very low caste. You are a follower of Vedic principles and are a well experienced performer of many sacrifices. You also belong to the aristocracy.”

Hearing the holy name constantly vibrated by the two brothers, Vallabha Bhaṭṭācārya could understand the hints of Śrī Caitanya Mahāprabhu.
Vallabha Bhaṭṭācārya said, “Since these two are constantly chanting the holy name of Kṛṣṇa, how can they be untouchable? On the contrary, they are most exalted.”

Vallabha Bhaṭṭācārya then recited the following verse:

aho bata śva-paco 'to garīyān
yaj-jihvāgre vartate nāma tubhyam
tepus tapas te juhuvuḥ sasnur āryā
brahmānūcur nāma gṛṇanti ye te

My dear Lord, one who always keeps Your holy name on his tongue becomes greater than an initiated brāhmaṇa. Although he may be born in a family of dog-eaters and may therefore, by material calculation, be the lowest among men, he is still glorious. This is the wonderful effect of chanting the holy name of the Lord. It is therefore concluded that one who chants the holy name of the Lord should be understood to have performed all kinds of austerities and great sacrifices mentioned in the Vedas. He has already taken his bath in all the holy places of pilgrimage, he has studied all the Vedas, and he is actually an Āryan.’ ” (Srimad Bhagavatam 3.33.7)

Śrī Caitanya Mahāprabhu was very pleased to hear Vallabha Bhaṭṭa quoting from śāstra about the position of a devotee. The Lord praised him personally, and, feeling ecstatic love of Godhead, began to quote many verses from śāstra. Śrī Caitanya Mahāprabhu said:

śuciḥ sad-bhakti-dīptāgni-
dagdha-durjāti-kalmaṣaḥ
śvapāko 'pi budhaiḥ ślāgyo
na vedajño 'pi nāstikaḥ
bhagavad-bhakti-hīnasya
jātiḥ śāstraṁ japas tapaḥ
aprāṇasyeva dehasya
maṇḍanaṁ loka-rañjanam

‘A person who has the pure characteristics of a brāhmaṇa due to devotional service, which is like a blazing fire burning to ashes all the sinful reactions of past lives, is certainly saved from the consequences of sinful acts, such as taking birth in a lower family. Even though he may be born in a family of dog-eaters, he is recognized by learned scholars. But although a person may be a learned scholar in Vedic knowledge, he is not recognized if he is an atheist. For a person devoid of devotional service, birth in a great family or nation, knowledge of the revealed scriptures, performance of austerities and penance, and chanting of Vedic mantras are all like ornaments on a dead body. Such ornaments simply serve the concocted pleasures of the general populace.’ ” ( Hari-bhakti-sudhodaya 3.11,12)

When he saw the Lord’s ecstatic love, Vallabha Bhaṭṭācārya was certainly very much astonished. He was also astonished by the Lord’s knowledge of the essence of devotional service, as well as by His personal beauty and influence. Vallabha Bhaṭṭācārya then put Śrī Caitanya Mahāprabhu and His associates aboard a boat and took them to his own place to offer them lunch.

Lord-Chaitanya-and-Rupa-Goswami.jpg

Srila Vallabhacharya has written such beautiful commentaries oni Brahma Sutras, Gita as well as a beautiful commentary to Srimad Bhagavatam. Vallabhacharya ki Jaya!! He also wrote a beautiful bhajans called madhurasthakam:

The lyrics are so beautiful as they compare Sri Krsna to madhura (meaning sweeter than honey).

adharam madhuram- O Krsna Your lips are sweet vadanam madhuram- Your face is sweet. nayanam madhuranam- Your eyes are sweet. hasitam madhuram- Your laugh is sweet
hridayam madhuraam- Your heart is sweet, gamanam madhuram- The way You walk here and there is sweet madhuradhipate akhilam madhuram- O You who art the Lord sweetness, You are sweetness itself!

And so on Vallabhacharya writes.
Thank you for sharing Nitai Das ji! And Vallabhacharya's beautiful bhajan, oh i have sung it before many times and it is very sweet :D

Madhavananda Das

Pranams Nitaiji. I wonder if you could help me. I'm a researcher-publisher. I'm trying to find the source of the above quote you cited that starts with, "The holy name of Krsna means divine sound. It can be compared to a capsule of medicine. ". I have found it cited in Mahanidhi Swami's book "Appreciating Navadvipa Dham", while others say it is in his book, "Art of Chanting Hare Krsna".

In other places I've found the book "Sri Chaitanya's Teachings" by Srila Bhaktisiddhanta cited as the original source. However, I have both printed and searchable soft copies of "Sri Chaitanya's Teachings", and I don't find this quote therein, nor do I find it in any of the other writings of Srila Prabhupada Bhaktisiddhanta (I have most in searchable format). The language certainly sounds like Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Saraswati Prabhupada. Could you please let me know where you found this quote. As far as I know there is only one book by that title, and only one edition. I'm wondering if this is perhaps something that someone translated from Bengali. I would be very grateful if you could help me find out the correct source. Thank you again!

The Holy Name

“The holy name of Krishna means divine sound. It can be compared to a capsule of medicine. The capsule is not the medicine. Externally one capsule may look like another, but within one capsule maybe medicine and within another may be cyanide.

Madhavananda Das

I'm not sure where to post this (or how to make a new post at all).

I have a scholar friend who is looking for information about the connection between the lotus and the traditional structure/design of the temple. Does anyone here have any references I can share with him? It is for a scholarly article he is writing.

The Crimson Universe

No. Shiva and Devi are demigods according to Bhagavatam. Their names may give some material benefits, however it cannot equal to Harinama. Jesus and Mohammed are human, not God also. One of the Namaparadhas is to consider the names of demigods to be equal to the names of Sri Hari. That is why scripture is very carefully to use the term "Harinama" or "Krsna Nama" when describing Nama tattva.

Vaishnava Puranas glorify Vishnu/Krishna and make all other gods as demigods. The same thing is seen in Shaiva Puranas, where Shiva is considered supreme and Krishna is being shown as a servant of Shiva.

Both the Vaishnavas and Shaivas are wrong in their claims, that only their God is supreme and rest are inferior beings.

Each and every forms of God (Shiva, Devi, Ganesha, Krishna) are equally supreme. They are nothing but the manifestations of the ONE ultimate reality known in the upanishads as Brahman.

The vaishnavas claim Brahman is the effulgence of Krishna. This is again wrong. Once you read the upanishads, namely Chandogya, Brhadaranyaka and the rest, your ignorance about Brahman will be wiped out.

IT IS BRAHMAN FROM WHOM ALL FORMS AND NAMES RISES AND AGAIN DISSOLVES BACK INTO IT.