• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gallup poll: "7 in 10 Republicans Don't Believe in Evolution"

What is your presenent political affiliation, and what is your stance?

• Total voters

s2a

Heretic and part-time (skinny) Santa impersonator
Though I voted in the poll (I am an Independent, and I reject Evolution theory as probable fact), I found the options a bit limiting. By evolution, does that mean micro- and macro- evolution? Or is it just macro-evolution that the poll is talking about?

1) How would you have (optionally) worded the "limiting" question to be more/better encompassing?

2) In this poll, "Evolution (theory)" is implied to mean "the process by which different kinds of living organisms are thought to have developed and diversified from earlier forms during the history of the earth". There are no further distinctions to be inferred or considered.

rocketman

Out there...
Greetings s2a,

"Skeptic does not mean him who doubts, but him who investigates or researches as opposed to him who asserts and thinks that he has found."
--Miguel de Unamuno, "Essays and Soliloquies," 1924
Source: Online Etymology Dictionary,
New definition, old question: why aren't they represented in the polls? Because people have trouble understanding their own societies beyond simple stereotypes.

Pssst.You did not provide anything that suggested some scientific model of abiogenesis linked with evolution theory.
You have it back to front. That abiogenesis requires an initial 'evolution' of it's own is now widely acknowledged by scientists. The atoms do not make a distinction between their pre and post abiogenesis states, why should we? Or are you going to tell me that you have a definition of life? [caution: if you use the standard biological definition then you are agreeing that abiogenesis was an evolutionary event].

Despite how it sounds, I'm not taking sides on this specific issue, but I feel I must point out that the usual forum banter on this really is behind the times and the scientific thing to do, the right thing to do, is to acknowledge that there is a big hole in the theory, whether it's at the start [biological] or in the middle [all-of-science evolutionary theory]. Honesty is the best policy.

Evolution happens. Evolution is scientific fact. What remains for investigation is to discover just what mechanisms and and influences cause evolution to unfold the way it does.
Agreed. But you know, that statement covers almost everyone out there, which is the problem. Even flat-earthers believe that they have their mother's eyes, or that all dogs come from the wolf.

If non-respondents prefer to cherry-pick Evolution theory ("I'll buy that one part...but that other part conflicts with my deeply held convictions..."), but that's only begging the larger question.
You clearly don't appear to be able to fathom that there are plenty of people out there who don't accept the whole theory on scientific grounds, that is, regardless of their motivation [their opinion - I already told you I'm not arguing if they are right or wrong]. You seem to say that the creationists see a 'conspiracy' [not that you showed me where that word or similar is in their texts..] yet you yourself seem to automatically assume that the motivations behind these tough questions, especially the older evolutionary stuff, must be seen solely as a 'deeply held conviction'. You appear to insist that the theory cannot be broken at any point in the past, yet you offer no evidence. If it is merely the most probable view, [and we all know that elements of it are assumed to be true], then naturally there will be people with skeptical outlooks, even without religion, because assumptions and probabilities can be rationally questioned, no matter how good their basis. And tough questioning does not require evidence of it's own, because testing is scientific too, and if the most probable idea still remains, that does not mean that all the questions have been answered. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you also seem to say that there is no real observational inequality between that which has been observed and that which has been infered. Therefore, given that you mirror the polls black and white stereotyping, despite people posting to the contrary, I don't see that you are in a position to make declarations about what the larger question is for people who are unable to answer the poll in an accurate way. [no offence]

Even reasonable people can be wrong. ;-)
Agreed.

Mercy Not Sacrifice

What would you do if you're up for re-election and the majority of the people voting are religios, and they found out you're pro-evolution. I think it has more to do with what other people will think, then their own personal motives.

That's part of the problem right there. What happens when the majority is wrong?

So what reason do you have to believe that God is not behind evolution? I know you will counter with something like "I don't have any evidence that he IS behind evolution", but you seem locked into your own opinion that lacks positive evidence. Why is that? It seems that your position should be more of "I'm not sure".

Perhaps God is; perhaps he isn't. I know of no evidence that indicates beyond a shadow of a doubt in either direction.

Though I voted in the poll (I am an Independent, and I reject Evolution theory as probable fact), I found the options a bit limiting. By evolution, does that mean micro- and macro- evolution? Or is it just macro-evolution that the poll is talking about?

Raz, do you know what evolution is?

Lindsey-Loo

Steel Magnolia
Alright. Can you give us a working definition of "evolution" then?

Sure, but it won't be encyclopedia-perfect, mind you. I'm not really one for big words...

Assuming that we are talking about macro-evolution here, evolution is:

Where a new species evolves, or originates, over a long period of time, from a simpler and separate life form. (i.e. monkey----->(several transitional species)-------->man).

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
"The majority of Republicans in the United States do not believe the theory of evolution is true and do not believe that humans evolved over millions of years from less advanced forms of life.
Meaning that 70% believe that the universe was created in six days?? bleh... :bonk: How many Republicans are there?

The data indicate some seeming confusion on the part of Americans on this issue. About a quarter of Americans say they believe both in evolution's explanation that humans evolved over millions of years and in the creationist explanation that humans were created as is about 10,000 years ago."
I agree with rocketman and CX. In having taken polls and being confronted with choices, none of which state exactly what I believe or feel and more than one of which state some part of it, sometimes I choose the one that best fits. Sometimes I choose both. Sometimes I choose neither. Either "both" or "neither" could lead to weird poll results.

I have no doubt that the majority of Americans do not fully understand evolutionary theory. We still routinely on RF get the poster who thinks he can disprove evolution by pointing out that monkeys still exist. :rolleyes: But I think that most people understand that evolutionary theory says that all species evolved over a long period of time through changes in pre-existing species, rather than being created de novo.

My guess in this situation is that they are choosing to listen to only one part of each scenario. So they're basically saying "yes, I believe in evolution but God guided it." And I think they just don't care that much about the time frame in which it happened. "It was a really long time."

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Sure, but it won't be encyclopedia-perfect, mind you. I'm not really one for big words...

Assuming that we are talking about macro-evolution here, evolution is:

Where a new species evolves, or originates, over a long period of time, from a simpler and separate life form. (i.e. monkey----->(several transitional species)-------->man).

I have heard worse definitions, but I would like to make a couple of points.

First, new species do not always necessarily need to be more complicated then the species they evolved from. They can be, but they don’t need to be.

Second, humans did not evolve from monkeys, rather we humans and monkeys evolved from a common ancestor.

Other than that, not too bad.

Smoke

Done here.
I voted "I am a Democrat and I accept Evolution theory as probable fact," but I don't feel entirely comfortable with that. I don't consider myself a Democrat at all, but I will vote for the Democratic candidate in most cases for lack of a better option. And "probable fact" is too weak. There really isn't any doubt about it.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
YEC= Young Earth Creationist.

I fall squarely in the third contingent: the Pannelenia Theory.

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
Well I certainly believe the earth is young so I I guess I am YEC. Do Intelligent design people not believe in a young earth?

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Well I certainly believe the earth is young so I I guess I am YEC. Do Intelligent design people not believe in a young earth?
I think young earth is a subset of ID. All YEC believe that there is an intelligent designer, but not all who believe that there is an intelligent designer believe that the earth was created in six days a few thousand years ago.