• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gallup poll: "7 in 10 Republicans Don't Believe in Evolution"

What is your presenent political affiliation, and what is your stance?

• Total voters

mycorrhiza

Darwin's original theory was published in 1859. While I'm familiar with it, I'm also fully aware that it came from a time of great ignorance.

Perhaps you should be less concerned with Victorian era biology literature and catch up with those of us in the 21st century. ;)

Do you believe that nothing has changed in the ToE since Darwin? His theory came before we knew (nearly) anything about genetics and despite all the new things we have discovered, evolution still stands strong. Darwin's theories weren't perfect and many things he said were wrong, and no scientist will claim that the Theory of Evolution as we understand it today is exactly the same as Darwin's theory. He wasn't the first, nor last, to give us a further understanding of evolution.

Darwin's theory was closest to the current understanding of evolution out of the evolutionary theories found back then, though.

If ID is science rather than religion, could you provide me with both of these:

1. A single atheistic scientist that rejects evolution in favor of ID.
2. A single peer-reviewed Intelligent Design paper, containing original research, that is thoroughly scientific and published in a serious major scientific journal in any of the relevant fields.

gseeker

conflicted constantly
Do you believe that nothing has changed in the ToE since Darwin? His theory came before we knew (nearly) anything about genetics and despite all the new things we have discovered, evolution still stands strong. Darwin's theories weren't perfect and many things he said were wrong, and no scientist will claim that the Theory of Evolution as we understand it today is exactly the same as Darwin's theory. He wasn't the first, nor last, to give us a further understanding of evolution.

Darwin's theory was closest to the current understanding of evolution out of the evolutionary theories found back then, though.

If ID is science rather than religion, could you provide me with both of these:

1. A single atheistic scientist that rejects evolution in favor of ID.
2. A single peer-reviewed Intelligent Design paper, containing original research, that is thoroughly scientific and published in a serious major scientific journal in any of the relevant fields.

If an atheist believed in ID instead of evolution then he would be an atheist now would he? So by making that contradiction you make it impossible to prove anything.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I never said they weren't. However, there's zero evidence to suggest that either, separate or in combination with one another, is capable of producing the brilliant engineering found throughout the biological world.
You ought to check out engineering done using generic (aka evolutionary) algorithms.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetic_algorithm
This stuff is old hat now, being used to design software, circuits, antennas, etc.
"Brilliant engineering" is done with them. Chalk one up for the combination of stochastic processes & fitness functions producing "designs".

mycorrhiza

If an atheist believed in ID instead of evolution then he would be an atheist now would he? So by making that contradiction you make it impossible to prove anything.

He could say that it was extremely technologically advanced aliens instead of a God. If you need to be religious to follow ID, then ID certainly isn't science.

DavyCrocket2003

Wow. I am ashamed! I guess brain washing and dishonest media works! :( (fyi, I am very certain that evolution exists. There may be holes in it. But those holes are more like... missing pieces of a puzzle. No reason to question whether the puzzle exists or not, lol.)

gseeker

conflicted constantly
We're still waiting.
Answered in post 173. Ball in your court.
That's more than you seem to.

First I haven't been writing much since my family disowned me the other day for changing my religious beliefs a couple of days ago. I've been in kinda a funk and haven't been posting much, ill give you your reply tonight.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
First I haven't been writing much since my family disowned me the other day for changing my religious beliefs a couple of days ago. I've been in kinda a funk and haven't been posting much, ill give you your reply tonight.
I hope they come to their senses... family is far more important than who believes in what spiritually. :hug:

wa:do

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
First I haven't been writing much since my family disowned me the other day for changing my religious beliefs a couple of days ago.
Been there and done that. My atheist mother did not like me converting to Christianity. We're good now though. :D Grand children help smooth over those kind of issues.

camanintx

For those unaware, speciation is microevolution. That is, it's superficial, typically cosmetic, change, rather than macroevolution, which is fundamental change.

The problem is, microevolution cannot be extrapolated to explain macroevolution. You can continue breeding dogs from now until the end of eternity. Accumulating changes to fur coloration and variation in trait size will never produce anything other than dogs with differing fur color and differing sized traits. Lots of speciation; nothing more.

If anyone disagree with this, then I'd like for them to demonstrate how I am wrong.
What mechanism prevents multiple superficial, cosmetic changes (microevolution) from becoming fundamental changes (macroevolution)?

gseeker

conflicted constantly
Obviously I'm not a Christian anymore so I have no need to believe in ID but I'm going to argue the point. Ring species. The change between creature is primarily the inability for successful mating but the fact is that a very infinitesimal change is required to actually alter that. No major alterations are made from the beganing of the ring to the end of the ring and doesn't prove in anyway large scale macro evolution and I would say that most creationists would refer to that as micro evolution.

s2a

Heretic and part-time (skinny) Santa impersonator
I hope they come to their senses... family is far more important than who believes in what spiritually. :hug:

wa:do

I would tend to disagree with that statement, peripherally at least, but that's fodder for another thread... :)

mycorrhiza

Obviously I'm not a Christian anymore so I have no need to believe in ID but I'm going to argue the point. Ring species. The change between creature is primarily the inability for successful mating but the fact is that a very infinitesimal change is required to actually alter that. No major alterations are made from the beganing of the ring to the end of the ring and doesn't prove in anyway large scale macro evolution and I would say that most creationists would refer to that as micro evolution.

It's because they're using the term incorrectly :D. The reason we don't directly observe new families is because such a huge change takes long time. Much longer than we have studied animals and plants. There is no evidence of a genetic barrier of any kind that allows for small changes but not large. We must also take into the equation that the taxonomic system is artificial rather than natural. Both the fossil record and the genetic evidence supports evolution.

Macroevolution is in it's correct definition evolutionary change at species level or above and we have succesfully seen it happen at species level.

It's good that you're walking your own path to find out what you believe is true, even though it has brought you some hardship. In the end, spiritual search often gives good results and allow you to lead a happier life. I hope things work out with your family, and they'll accept you for who you are. It's quite un-Christian to disown someone because the person isn't Christian.