• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Fundies Say the Darndest Things (FSTDT)"

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Thank you for not having any resentment against me. Yeah. Just try to avoid saying those types of things, because even though I know know you didn't mean it, racism gets my blood boiling.

Yep, mine too - I can't promise you that I won't say inflammatory things to get a point across - but what I can promise you is that I am not a racist.

To be honest with you, it was very difficult for me to even type and post those words to make my point. Prejudice makes my skin crawl.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I am hoping if I ever decide to make a point, that I won't judge an entire group by what one or a few have said that was stupid or ignorant. If I do that, you have a right to tell me about it and I will apologize.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I am hoping if I ever decide to make a point, that I won't judge an entire group by what one or a few have said that was stupid or ignorant. If I do that, you have a right to tell me about it and I will apologize.
I'm curious, Christine, could Mestemia have presented the OP in a way that wouldn't have offended you? Because I have to say, there's a lot of complaining about stereotyping, but I don't see it. Also, I have to admit that I was surprised to hear you label yourself fundamentalist.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I'm curious, Christine, could Mestemia have presented the OP in a way that wouldn't have offended you? Because I have to say, there's a lot of complaining about stereotyping, but I don't see it. Also, I have to admit that I was surprised to hear you label yourself fundamentalist.

I am not truly a fundamentalist. I was lying to make my point (forgive me, Lord) and I am not offended in the slightest. I just get a little dismayed when intelligent people put people into little boxes. Very few people fit stereotypes and generalizations.
I am sorry, but I was playing a devil's advocate. Which is something I have never done before so it came out wrong. :eek::sorry1:

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Another note: When I first became a Christian, I made fun of fundamentalists, too. My whole family made fun of them. I feel guilty now for ever doing so. I don't like the idea of being mean.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't know - I would say anyone with a closed minded agenda - anyone who is unwilling to alter his opinions - of any ilk - those are the dangerous elements of society. And they come in every size, shape and color.

Yes, but some have a stronger lobby than others.

wasn't offended by that post - However, it seems to perpetuate some stereotypes about Christians in general.

Not exactly; the post/thread isn't perpetuating negative Christian stereotypes, it's merely quoting a bunch of people who are, i.e. the fundies it's quoting.

Maybe you should tell them to stop making you look bad rather than getting upset because someone noticed them doing it.

For instance, what if I posted something about Mexicans who crowd up in a truck, reek of menudo, live 15 to a house, do roofing for a living, steal dead people's SS numbers, and always put everything off till MANANA?
I can hear the gasps and cries of racism. But maybe I wasn't talking about Mexicans who DON'T live like that, right?

What about watermelon munching, baggy britches wearing, pot smoking, black guys? Oh, but maybe they don't all act like that, so certainly my generalizations couldn't be construed as racist or offensive, right?

Notice the title of this thread. Notice where it's posted. Does the title say "Christians say ect.ect."? Is it posted in the religious discussion or debates forums?

No it doesn't even say "Christian fundamentalists". It specifies a particular group of people who aren't, for the purposes of this thread, being identified by the religion they claim to be following but are in fact being identified by a particular mindset,

And, and here's the difference between what's going on in the OP and the examples you just gave; nothings being asserted about these people (fundies). whatever conclusions anyone wants to draw from what's being quoted in the OP will be based on what's being demonstrated by the people in question themselves. What these demonstrations imply is left up to the reader to decide.

And I would ask; if you did decide to make a thread about "Mexicans who crowd up in a truck, reek of menudo, live 15 to a house, do roofing for a living, steal dead people's SS numbers, and always put everything off till MANANA" what point could you possibly be trying to make? Is all of the above bad? does it demonstrate some undesirable characteristics about the people it pertains to?

Same thing as far as the other two examples you gave; is there a point?

Most importantly; If, for whatever reason, you decided to make a thread about people living the way you've described in your examples is there a point to specifying the race of the people involved at all?

What about watermelon munching, baggy britches wearing, pot smoking, black guys?

See what I'm saying? Even if you have some problem with people who "munch watermelon, wear baggy britches, and smoke pot" what possible reason could there be for tacking "black guys" on the end of all that unless race was the issue to begin with?

A more reasonable explanation would be that you don't really have a problem with "watermelon munching, baggy britches wearing, pot smoking" people, but do in fact have a problem with "black guys". The rest was just a strange, rationalizing preamble.

See the difference?

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Hey, you're reading wayyyyy too much into what I said - I was simply pointing out that making broad sweeping generalizations about groups of people based on the idiosyncracies of some of the more extreme examples in a group is what it is - stereotyping.

That being said, I do believe that the extremes make it more difficult for the moderates of any group.

And for the record, I don't like watermelon, I prefer pants that fit, I don't care whether someone smokes weed or not, and I don't have a problem with black guys.

You've missed the whole point of my "strange rationalizing, " which is, I guess, why you thought it was strange. I was being FACETIOUS and making the point that ridiculing, inflammatory, prejudicial speeches are counterproductive and generally a waste of time.

You know - when you feel the need to ridicule other people it's often because you feel insecure about your own self worth.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Hey, you're reading wayyyyy too much into what I said - I was simply pointing out that making broad sweeping generalizations about groups of people based on the idiosyncracies of some of the more extreme examples in a group is what it is - stereotyping.

Yes. And I was pointing out that what this thread is doing can't fairly be called stereotyping; it isn't making a claim, it's giving examples.

That being said, I do believe that the extremes make it more difficult for the moderates of any group.

And for the record, I don't like watermelon, I prefer pants that fit, I don't care whether someone smokes weed or not, and I don't have a problem with black guys.

You've missed the whole point of my "strange rationalizing, " which is, I guess, why you thought it was strange. I was being FACETIOUS and making the point that ridiculing, inflammatory, prejudicial speeches are counterproductive and generally a waste of time.

I completely got what you were getting at, and if we're still talking hypothetically here then the "strange rationalizing" isn't really yours, right?

It isn't that I didn't see what you were trying to say with your comparisons, I was just showing you why your comparisons aren't valid. We're talking about two significantly different princilples here;

The first is demonstration without editorializing.

The second is the exact opposite; generalization without demonstrating anything to back it up.

You know - when you feel the need to ridicule other people it's often because you feel insecure about your own self worth.

Who's ridiculing what here?

Last edited:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
So far as I can see, the people quoted in the OP are not representative of all fundies. I think if someone were to believe the people in the OP were typical of all fundies, then that would be their fault and not the fault of the OP.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Unfortunately stereotyping conservative Christians is accepted on RF. But God forbid anyone stereotype a liberal atheist. Imagine the uproar that kind of a thread would receive.

If you can find legitimate quotes from professing liberal Atheists that are as funny as these, I say have at it.

gnomon

The fact that Sally Kern still sits as a state representative..

Fundies say the dumbest things.

For those who do not like the term fundies we can say this instead:

Idiots say the darndest things.........and get away with it.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
The fact that Sally Kern still sits as a state representative..

Fundies say the dumbest things.

For those who do not like the term fundies we can say this instead:

Idiots say the darndest things.........and get away with it.
Why not "idiot fundies"?

J Bryson

Idiots come in all shapes, sizes, and personal belief systems. I would love to see some ridiculous Atheist quotes.