• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

From 'born again' to agnostic

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
The man that buys fire insurance may not have to use it, but he is still safer than the guy who says he doesn't need it.

Cool. So, how do I buy insurance against your god, Zeus, Odin, Goddess, Allah and the myriad of other possible god-concepts out there?

Big_TJ

Every babe in Christ is a novice in the things concerning Christ. The learning comes after the Spiritual birth. It is a step of faith, not a scientific conclusion.

ok, so will you answer the question that I asked? Again, the question is: On what basis do you believe in something without spending time learning about it?

Brainwashing is what you get in present day public schools.
Or at home . . . Just think back to when you first "accepted" christ :yes:

Big_TJ

Originally Posted by Danmac
The man that buys fire insurance may not have to use it, but he is still safer than the guy who says he doesn't need it.

No, safety has nothing to do with insurance:facepalm: The person who is "safer" is the person who gets out of the house when the fire starts.

emiliano

You can't murder yourself!:facepalm: Who would want to be in heaven with a deity who can't accept that sometimes life is just too much for some people and they have opted out? I think the idea of heaven is totally over-rated especially if it is populated by fundamentalist Christians and their idea of God!

The point that I try to make is that without hope people live a more depressing life, it just that I thought that Wotam was pinning down the current high rates of suicide on religions such as Christians, what do you think? I know that there are religions which believe that self killing is a better option, but that is not the case of Christianity, having faith allow me to persevere in the most difficult situation and came out of trails and tribulations stronger and appreciated life and the creator of it.

Misty

The point that I try to make is that without hope people live a more depressing life, it just that I thought that Wotam was pinning down the current high rates of suicide on religions such as Christians, what do you think? I know that there are religions which believe that self killing is a better option, but that is not the case of Christianity, having faith allow me to persevere in the most difficult situation and came out of trails and tribulations stronger and appreciated life and the creator of it.

Without hope of what? If you mean hope of ending up in heaven when you die, I think that very depressing. I don't think atheists are anymore likely to have a depressing life than theists!

luvuyesua

Misty, reading your post and other similar ones, makes me feel sad for your parents, using judgemental abuse to teach the wordofGod instead of sticking to good example, Jesus talks about the importance of a childs heart. Jesus speaks of letting the children come to him. they used scriptures as a punishment, blackmail, and totally in the wrong context. Too bad you had religious ignorants as examples. Was your mom on drugs at all. even prescription drugs? she sounds disturbed, excuse me, but by your description, you werent raised in a christian home, and your logic became an unbeliever of whatever she or they were. I hope you have found real forgiveness towards them.

May God enlighten your heart, even more

Nerthus

Wanderlust

I agree. Hope gives people something to live for, without it what would be the point?

Faith does provide a sense of hope, as well as feeling protected and guided through difficult times. If I went through some of the things that I have, without faith and hope - I wouldn't be the person I am right now.

Misty

Misty, reading your post and other similar ones, makes me feel sad for your parents, using judgemental abuse to teach the wordofGod instead of sticking to good example, Jesus talks about the importance of a childs heart. Jesus speaks of letting the children come to him. they used scriptures as a punishment, blackmail, and totally in the wrong context. Too bad you had religious ignorants as examples. Was your mom on drugs at all. even prescription drugs? she sounds disturbed, excuse me, but by your description, you werent raised in a christian home, and your logic became an unbeliever of whatever she or they were. I hope you have found real forgiveness towards them.

May God enlighten your heart, even more

I don't want God to 'enlighten' my hearts thanks.

You are way off target where my parents were concerned too. They were Christian fundamentalists who thought they were doing their duty by trying to save their children from burning in hell. The fact that their philosophy of only the 'saved' going to heaven is not credible in the least, passed them by. My mother is still alive and still tries to convert me, but I threaten to end the phone conversation when she does.

Wotan

"Too bad you had religious ignorants as examples. Was your mom on drugs at all. even prescription drugs? she sounds disturbed, excuse me, but by your description, you werent raised in a christian home, and your logic became an unbeliever of whatever she or they were. I hope you have found real forgiveness towards them."

I had a similar experience and I can assure you neither drugs nor alcohol played any part in my religious instruction. I was taught 6 days a week and twice on Sunday that hell was REAL and lasts forever. I was told I was going there to burn and feel being burned forever unless I accepted JC and live a christian life. I was told repeatedly not to question. That I needed the simple faith of a child. That thinking too much was the way of the devil.

"We don't understand it all. We aren't supposed to. God works in mysterious ways but he is both just and loving. Just believe that. Don't think too much about it. Thinking and education will weaken your faith. Many people lose their faith in college. Don't go. Don't take that chance. Eternity is a long time to regret your book learnin'. The bible is the Word of God and god don't make mistakes. Don't listen to those professors. You don't no Harvard edgeucation to be saved."

THAT was the Christianity I was taught. Well meaning, sincere, ignorant, shallow and hypocritical to the core.
Welcome to the "wisdom" of supernatural religion.

luvuyesua

whre is the example of Jesus in this? Jesus spoke in parrables, I asked my kids riddles from the bible. Jesus told stories, I told biblical stories at bed time, or when we were lounging. when something serious would happen, we put the choice of a similar story, and the choice God took. when they go party, they know they have God with them, but not by force, and they have proved it to themselves in their own personal spiritual experiences, during a party, walking home at late hours, and they are teen agers, but I have nothing to do with, their experiences they chose to have with God, Jesus way did, you would never know they were christian by imposition or them saying it. So no it doesnt sound like a christian home, maybe christian church activity)taken to an extreme) but not the home, even if they were, well meaning, they didnt live it, and that will someday be revealed to people like that, Wotan, do you have kids? and did you speak to them about our father? and how?