• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Friendly Religious Discussion anyone?

1337Ravage

I am a Biblical Studies Major at my school. One of my classes this semester is Religions of the World. A project for this class is to have a meaningful conversation with someone of a different faith. (I am Christian).

The Religions we have studied this semester (so far) are Judaism, Islam, Hindu, and Buddhism.

I was wondering if anyone from any of these faiths could chat with me a little for my project! ;)

Now, the point of this project is not to get into any kind of heated argument, or debate. I just want to have a relaxed conversation about are different faiths, what we think about the other, and how the compare and contrast.

thanks! I was looking online for a forum dedicated to religion, and this one looks pretty good.:D

AllMantra

Greetings. I am an agnostic Buddhist, which is to me a way of life I began to adopt while at a boarding school at age 16. I had been raised a Protestant Christian, but had become dissatisfied with theism due to my emotional struggles and what seemed an inability to address them through reliance upon extraneous higher powers. Most of my friends and family are of the Christian belief, and I welcome interfaith dialouge...

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I am a Hindu (Sanatan Dharma) and would be happy to discuss what you wish.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I am Australian and AllMantra is American.

Will you be conducting this conversation on the public forum or were you thinking through private messaging?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Nice Hindu temple in Plano.. maybe you could phone them, arrange for a visit, and get a nice conversation all at once.. I hope you ar smart enough not to make generalisations about any one religion based on talking to one person.. but I'd talk to you too .. Hindu

Sure we can talk with a private chat, would you other guys be offended if I chose to talk to Madhuri privately? ;)

Hey hey hey now, no winks... that'll get you in trouble, dude!

:149:

Too bad you're not doing the Baha'i Faith. :D I would be glad to offer that perspective up.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I am a Biblical Studies Major at my school. One of my classes this semester is Religions of the World. A project for this class is to have a meaningful conversation with someone of a different faith. (I am Christian).
Well, I'm a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I consider myself to be a Christian, but you may not consider me to be one. So, if I qualify ;), I'd be interested in talking to you.

The Religions we have studied this semester (so far) are Judaism, Islam, Hindu, and Buddhism.

I was wondering if anyone from any of these faiths could chat with me a little for my project! ;)

Now, the point of this project is not to get into any kind of heated argument, or debate. I just want to have a relaxed conversation about are different faiths, what we think about the other, and how the compare and contrast.

thanks! I was looking online for a forum dedicated to religion, and this one looks pretty good.:D

Welcom to the forum and you are always welcomed to ask any question you have.

Just a suggestion as many people donot have 100% knowlegde of their own religion so sometime they might give you answers which is against their religion too but due to ignorence they think they are right. So to be sure always ask for proof? like ask them to give evidence from their religious books etc.

Bismillah I am a Muslim, I would fall under the Sunni branch.

In order you wont get confused , you must know their is no branch or sect in Islam.

The Glorious Qur’an says:

"And hold fast, All together, by the rope Which Allah (stretches out for you), and be not divided among yourselves;" [Al-Qur’an 3:103]

"As for those who divide Their religion and break up Into sects, thou hast No part in them in the least: Their affair is with Allah: He will in the end Tell them the truth Of all that they did." [Al-Qur’an 6:159]

I think after reading above verses no Muslim should want to divide it, I will agree with any body who will says many Muslims are divided now but that not the teaching of Islam.

BruceDLimber

Hi!

I'm a Baha'i (and hope you'll be studying the Baha'i Faith, too) as well as a long-time perticipant here.

So if you'd like conversation from a Baha'i perspective, please feel free to let me know!

Questions are always most welcome! :)

Best regards

Bruce

Bismillah

Submit
In order you wont get confused , you must know their is no branch or sect in Islam.

"And hold fast, All together, by the rope Which Allah (stretches out for you), and be not divided among yourselves;" [Al-Qur’an 3:103]

"As for those who divide Their religion and break up Into sects, thou hast No part in them in the least: Their affair is with Allah: He will in the end Tell them the truth Of all that they did." [Al-Qur’an 6:159]

I think after reading above verses no Muslim should want to divide it, I will agree with any body who will says many Muslims are divided now but that not the teaching of Islam.

Thank you dear brother for those claims I have read those verses before and certainly understand the message entailed. Stating my beliefs however is a passive act and not a divisive one at all.

However, as I believe in the sayings and actions of the Prophet, as recorded, that differentiates me from some of my brothers. It is of importance when someone is asking me of my beliefs.

1337Ravage

sorry i haven't responded! D: i've been unexpectedly busy..

anyway, some of you pointed out that speaking to someone of a particular faith may not give the perfect example of what that faith is or what it really means to follow that faith. I totally understand that and I think that was one of the points of this project. One of the first things we talked about in class is the concept of "folk religion" Basically, Every religion sort of has two groups, one group who are experts on the subject who know all the details and proper practices of the religion, the other group are those people who are not fully understanding of what their faith is and what it really means to follow it. That is called "folk religion"

Every religion has this trend, so I don't mean in as an insult to anyone. When I started to study my religion in-depth, I instantly realized that although I had "followed" Christianity my whole life, I really didn't truly understand what it meant. In class, we have already read books about the religions from experts from those fields. Now, instead of studying it in a book, we must go out and actually talk to people from those faiths in order to see what it is like for really people. :yes:

ForeverFaithful

Son Worshiper
I'm part of the Church of England, I'm part of the Anglo-Catholic side of it but I love how our tradition can unite so many views, I'd love to chat any time! (and I totally agree with the idea of the "Folk Religions" for example I like visiting a Presbyterian minister for mentorship and we talk a lot about Predestination, but it seems not a lot of Christians quite grasp that doctrine. I also disagree with the traditional view of hell.

Last edited:

1337Ravage

Thanks for all the volunteers, but I think what my teacher had in mind someone from one of the religions we have discussed in class (Islam, Judaism, Hindu, Buddhism)

Are anyone from those faiths still around and want to talk?