• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Free Will

Electra

If free will, is being able to do as one pleases.

Is a space with laws, therefore not able to be in the same place as free will.

If laws are enforced upon me, does that make me a prisoner to the law?

????

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

????
Free will is the ability to decide or choose a path, the repercussions of the decision are always different.

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner
Do deterministic factors indicate we have total free will? I posit they do not. This is Schopenhauer's old observation that: "a man can do as he wants, but cannot want what he wants". To put it in the modern: "a man can do as he wills, but cannot will what he wills".

This debate is as old as the Greek philosophers, and probably older. Have any evidence there's a ghost in the machine called free will?

That is not to say there is no agency, but then we are discussing choice, and not will.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
This is exactly how us determinists feel in regard to cosmic laws in physics. If laws have set everything in motion and guided everything occurring then how can free will exist. It is a meaningless pursuit

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
When the heart wants what it wants, it has chosen its will. It could have chosen otherwise, but none desires it. A free will is one that is living it's conscience, not slave to immorality. Free will is found in true love. By virtue nothing is impossible to overcome in the soul.

At heart you are only going to be as you desire or want. But a true heart is truly free and at command of will, and a malicious heart is slave to its desire.

Freedom for some is take it or leave it, not being tied to any decisions.

Freedom for me is having peace in every decision of will. In that way there is free will.

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner
By virtue nothing is impossible to overcome in the soul.

Now we're getting into Stoic and Epicurean view of escaping animal determinism, but even they had to concede knowledge and virtue isn't an escape from nature. Ultimately for the Stoics, to live in harmony with everything was a determinism above the animal. Epicurus also didn't think one escapes determinism, only can slightly bend it.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Now we're getting into Stoic and Epicurean view of escaping animal determinism, but even they had to concede knowledge and virtue isn't an escape from nature. Ultimately for the Stoics, to live in harmony with everything was a determinism above the animal. Epicurus also didn't think one escapes determinism, only can slightly bend it.

I myself am at peace with my intentions, yet I struggle with nature, but not in my intentions. Virtue brings me peace.

They may have different individual struggles than I do. Expecting harmony with nature perhaps?

Knowledge bears responsibility, and you can only do what's within you to do, and reach for greater I suppose.

You , like a lot of others on here, are very educated in philosophy and religion. I tread lightly on those subjects because there can be pitfalls in them. But I maintain interest there.

siti

????
No, but you are a prisoner of free will...