• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Free Will and an Open Mind

atanu

Premium Member
Yes he was indeed a sensitive genius. He made the identical mistake Georg cantor did, they both forgot to breathe, and get out into the wilderness. Nietztche, both father Carl and son Friedrich suffered the same fate.

NOW John Muir the same type of person but no madness. He would get a kennel cough on occasion and his wife would send him home to recuperate. Home for Muir, was the Sierras, culture was just a house.

May be. But that does not matter. They had different work to do and Godel's work is as breathtaking as beauty of nature, IMO. I will also suggest a reading of the linked Scientific American article.

David T

Premium Member
May be. But that does not matter. They had different work to do and Godel's work is as breathtaking as beauty of nature, IMO.
Framing math as limited in a mathmatical proof is rather remarkable I cant disagree on that. Of the implications are totally ignored because of the nature of the region of the brain it is addressing and its natural tendencies.

atanu

Premium Member
Framing math as limited in a mathmatical proof is rather remarkable I cant disagree on that. Of the implications are totally ignored because of the nature of the region of the brain it is addressing and its tendencies.

The blue is all that can be accomplished within the system. The red part is wisdom. And in this regard, Godel himself said “It is possible that] the human mind (in the realm of pure mathematics) is equivalent to a finite machine that, however, is unable to understand completely its own functioning.”

Last edited:

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
are they boundless?

As far as the concept of an 'open mind,' it is a questionable romantic illusion of libertarian free will, may be considered possible as potential free will at best in the concept of compatibilism

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
As far as the concept of an 'open mind,' it is a questionable romantic illusion of libertarian free will, may be considered possible as potential free will at best in the concept of compatibilism

a close mind can only grasp what it is already grasping on to.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
a close mind can only grasp what it is already grasping on to.

Vague anecdotal 'truisms' do not justify the difference between an open and closed mind.

I actually agree very very cautiously, but the vague generalizations far do not reflect reality. I believe by far most claims of an open mind are bogus, and have too many underlying unspoken provisos that narrow the mind.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Can we not dispense with the open mind thing?!
Free will is dished out in minute quantities that consists of mostly cloud-like illusions of fluffiness. You might be able to choose a coffee at McD, but when I go, it is most probable that they are out of coffee that moment, or their machine is broken.
That's fate, not free will.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Outwardly we are determined by the environment and circumstances. Inwardly we are either slaves to our own minds intentions, or free in the truth of our convictions.

The unconscious mind is the sum total of all we have learned, and everything that effects us up until this point. The conscious mind must deal with the unconscious at times of reflection. I would say with free will we always have a choice as to how we respond to absolutely everything. Perhaps the difference between free will and a deterministic will, is what knowledge we hold as wisdom.

A pawn or truly free depends mostly on what we are affected by, and how we choose to deal with it.

To me free will is something you have to attain to. It won't always happen naturally. To me it's always been a matter of heart.

David T

Premium Member
Did Carl leave behind instructions on how to do that?
His was a self induced acid trip, from a crisis! So hell no he didn't leave instructions. That's exactly what happened to buddha as well. It's also suddenly getting into the area of asking an artist "how did you do that where did that come from?" i saw an old bob dylan interview 1965 and that was asked.

atanu

Premium Member
are they boundless?

In my understanding, it is layered. For the ego-mind, bound to a body, neither the mind nor the will is boundless. Once an act of will is executed, the results are deterministic and binding.

However, scripture teaches us that the true will-mind pervades all forms but is distinct from the forms and is not affected by phenomenal changes, since it abides as a mere seer. Meditation practices are exercises that help to bring the seer to the fore.

Last edited:

allfoak

Alchemist
are they boundless?
One must account for predestination.
One is only boundless in that we can make any choice we want within the boundaries that we have created for ourselves.
Breaking free of these boundaries is possible only through extraordinary effort.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
One must account for predestination.
One is only boundless in that we can make any choice we want within the boundaries that we have created for ourselves.
Breaking free of these boundaries is possible only through extraordinary effort.
love cannot be bound, nor light contained

“I understand now that boundaries between noise and sound are conventions. All boundaries are conventions, waiting to be transcended. One may transcend any convention if only one can first conceive of doing so.”

David Mitchell, Cloud Atlas