• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fossil sacred to Vishnu?

Sylvan

Unrepentant goofer duster
So many years ago a friend went to India and brought back for me a fossil stone which apparently you acquire at a mountain pilgrimage site sacred to Vishnu. It is a two part stone, some kind of trilobite, and the center is a spiral that locks together with other half. About the size of an abnormally fat egg. It might be from Nepal.

Could anyone tell me anything about this object?

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
auspicious_shaligram9a.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sila_(murti)

This? :)

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
So many years ago a friend went to India and brought back for me a fossil stone which apparently you acquire at a mountain pilgrimage site sacred to Vishnu. It is a two part stone, some kind of trilobite, and the center is a spiral that locks together with other half. About the size of an abnormally fat egg. It might be from Nepal.

Could anyone tell me anything about this object?

They're called shaligrams, and here is a link to information on them. Shaligram is as an iconic representation of Lord Vishnu. Shalagram Shilas/Saligram stone,SHALIGRAMS from Nepal:Genuine Salagram silas/SHALIGRAM SHILA

From stuff I've read, it is far more auspicious to find one yourself than to buy one, so some devotees pilgrimage to locations where they can be found just to look.

Sylvan

Yes that's it! I think he didn't buy it, but I know I would never sell it. Thanks! Must have got it in Nepal.

Mine is way cooler than most I've seen as it came in two interlocking pieces which reveal the spiral between them. I am not generally into crystals and so forth, but meditate regularly with this stone. Either in two pieces (one in each hand) or one. I sometimes set up spell work where the pieces are separate around other objects, and then after a time are brought together. An article said I should keep it in some kind of special box? I'm not a Hindu though we seem to share a lot of opinions on things. Pretty sure I haven't let it touch the ground since Ive owned it, but will make sure to continue to have that be the case since that seems to be the most important detail of care.

Last edited:
Shaligram shilas are usually converted into Deity forms of Lord Vishnu or Krishna, and then worshipped accordingly like a Deity with puja, arati, etc. It's that sacred, because they were touched directly by Krishna Himself when He descended on Earth.

According to Vaishnava belief, the worshipper of a Shaligram Shila must adhere to strict rules, such as not touching the shaligrama without bathing, never placing the shaligrama on the ground, eating only prasad, and not indulging in bad practices. In most Vaishnava temples the main deity is usually decorated with a 'garland' mala, specifically an Akshamala, of 108 Saligrama Shilas.

-- Wikipedia

They should be given their own altar, in terms of Vaishnava Hindu conduct and proper care of the shalagram shila, because it's non-different than Krishna Himself. The worship is high, so it's one reason many of us don't own Them. :D

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
GP ... I heard there have been some found in some lake near Vancouver ... :)

Maybe you could ...

GP ... I heard there have been some found in some lake near Vancouver ... :)

Maybe you could ...

:p

My friend at the temple can tell which is a shalagrama shila and which is just a piece of stone.

I'm not in the greatest of living situations at the moment to even have Deities. Maybe one day I might have my own! :)

native3

Shrinidhi Kowndinya
Some cultures consider Saligrama as very much sacred and holy..... once has to perform pooja daily for the Saligrama with utmost care and holiness..... Performing Pooja after eating meat is considered as taboo..... They still maintain high respect for the Saligramas and only very few will have them..... anyone having saligrama without proper guidance or without taking care of it in their place will not be good for them....

So its better to learn about it more before doing something i hope.......

Sylvan

Yes but I am not a Hindu nor would I profess to be one. I have enough parts to my daily practices that I am not likely to start doing daily puja for this stone, although will certainly respect and honor it in my own way. Finding it a special box and wrapping cloth and so forth. Learning more about it was why I made this thread. However, despite my respect for these traditions, finding out the very sacred nature of this object isn't going to cause me to convert to Hinduism just in case it is somehow "not good for me". That would seem to be an overreaction to me. But I am the guest in this DIR and am asking the questions so please give your honest opinions. The fact that it brought itself to me through very unlikely channels is proof enough to me that I should be its caretaker for the time being.

While it is certainly a saligrama, after finding out what it was I found this section of the wikipedia article on ammonite fossils very interesting:
In medieval Europe, fossilised ammonites were thought to be petrified coiled snakes, and were called "snakestones" or, more commonly in medieval England, "serpentstones". They were considered to be evidence for the actions of saints such as Hilda of Whitby, a myth referenced in Sir Walter Scott's Marmion,[14] and Saint Patrick, and were held to have healing or oracular powers.
This is far more in line with my own practices. Do you think that unwise? As seriously as I take the reality of spirits it is hard for me personally to see this fossil as the concrete manifestation of one particular god. How would you suggest someone like me with best intentions honor this object? And given that I am a meat eater who eats now vegan half of the time, more or less, what is the procedure for purging myself of that impurity before interacting with the stone? And in the opinion of learned Hindus here how much would involvement in such paradigms of purity be necessary or even desired actions for someone who is not following a Hindu path?

Yes but I am not a Hindu nor would I profess to be one. I have enough parts to my daily practices that I am not likely to start doing daily puja for this stone, although will certainly respect and honor it in my own way. Finding it a special box and wrapping cloth and so forth. Learning more about it was why I made this thread. However, despite my respect for these traditions, finding out the very sacred nature of this object isn't going to cause me to convert to Hinduism just in case it is somehow "not good for me". That would seem to be an overreaction to me. But I am the guest in this DIR and am asking the questions so please give your honest opinions. The fact that it brought itself to me through very unlikely channels is proof enough to me that I should be its caretaker for the time being.

Yeah, well having a shaligrama with a non-Hindu is about as irreverant as one using a Buddha statue for decoration, or whatnot. It's not an overreaction since you are posting in a Hindu thread and some of us are a little more traditional. I'm sorry if we gave you the inclination that you would ever become Hindu; this wasn't the case when I was reading through the thread.

While it is certainly a saligrama, after finding out what it was I found this section of the wikipedia article on ammonite fossils very interesting:
This is far more in line with my own practices. Do you think that unwise? As seriously as I take the reality of spirits it is hard for me personally to see this fossil as the concrete manifestation of one particular god. How would you suggest someone like me with best intentions honor this object? And given that I am a meat eater who eats now vegan half of the time, more or less, what is the procedure for purging myself of that impurity before interacting with the stone? And in the opinion of learned Hindus here how much would involvement in such paradigms of purity be necessary or even desired actions for someone who is not following a Hindu path?

It is because these shaligrama shilas appear on places of pilgrimage, such as those from Govardhana Hill in India, that they are generally revered. Places of pilgrimage have been touched by incarnations of God in various periods of time, so they are thus extra special. Just keep it in a special place, in a special box, away from the floor. Because you are a non-Hindu, it should be okay.

However, for someone who's orthodox like me, if I were to worship this shila, I would be strict vegetarian with no bad habits before I even begin doing a puja.

Just like how people can not understand why Shaivites and other Hindus worship Shivalingam, or why Muslims would adore and kiss the Kaaba (a meteorite), Vaishnavas and other Hindus also worship shilas as a connection to Lord Vishnu, because they happen to be at those tirthas, or sacred places.

Sylvan

Thank you for the explanation. I meant no disrespect. I came here to learn. As I said this shaligrama came to me more than a decade ago now with no explanation about how one should take care of it, just that it came from a pilgrimage place sacred to Vishnu. Perceiving its numinous nature, it found its way to a central spot on my altar and through years of using and holding it in meditation has acquired many layers of personal significance separate from its origins. So its certainly not decorative, and I mean no irreverence.

But now that I have learned its importance it almost seems like I may not deserve it, that it should be given to someone devout to avoid offending a god and tradition I know little about. Is this an overreaction? In the opinion of some am I perhaps sharing in some karma my friend brought upon himself by acquiring the shaligrama without knowing its significance to begin with? I'm not really that worried about it, because I think it "likes" me, or at least I have felt it helping me on a number of occasions. But I am curious.

Thank you for the explanation. I meant no disrespect. I came here to learn. As I said this shaligrama came to me more than a decade ago now with no explanation about how one should take care of it, just that it came from a pilgrimage place sacred to Vishnu. Perceiving its numinous nature, it found its way to a central spot on my altar and through years of using and holding it in meditation has acquired many layers of personal significance separate from its origins. So its certainly not decorative, and I mean no irreverence.

But now that I have learned its importance it almost seems like I may not deserve it, that it should be given to someone devout to avoid offending a god and tradition I know little about. Is this an overreaction? In the opinion of some am I perhaps sharing in some karma my friend brought upon himself by acquiring the shaligrama without knowing its significance to begin with? I'm not really that worried about it, because I think it "likes" me, or at least I have felt it helping me on a number of occasions. But I am curious.

You'll be fine. Just do what you are doing, and do your own spiritual practices, keep this shaligrama as a a sacred object in your midst, and something to help your spiritual life in whatever way it manifests.

I mean, you could speculate your karmic attributions in receiving this shaligrama, but that is still all speculation. God is mysterious, and He works through things Himself, through persons, animals, and even objects. :)

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

Mostly we Hindus believe that there is some purpose in such things, whether we know it or not. So to me, it seems this shaligram has found it's rightful place ... on your altar. 'Why' is not really for us to decide. It is more the shaligram's decision, if that makes any sense at all.

Certainly it can do you no harm, and if you're treating it with reverence, that's all that matters. Apparently it's helping you, so best not to overanalyse.

The other thing regarding Hinduism is that it has no real set boundaries of who is and who isn't, so Hindus go outside the box that others draw around us because of their own pre-conceived notion of what a box (a faith) should be. In that sense, shaligrams are not a gift for Hindus, but rather a gift for humanity.

Best wishes for clarity on the matter.

Sylvan

It is more the shaligram's decision, if that makes any sense at all.

That was my impression as well. I feel very honored. Many thanks to my knowledgeable forum brethren here. :bow:

I am still interested in any opinions on this matter, or any interesting stories or experiences you have had with or related to shalingrams.

native3

Shrinidhi Kowndinya
I did not mean to discourage you or tried to give you a wrong notion..... i just gave the cultural view about the Saaligrams thats all.....

But one a more personal note i think whatever that enriches your Spiritual journey you should accept it without a doubt and continue in that regard..... since you say that the Saaligram found its way to you in an unusual way and its been helping you ever since, you should keep it with you and try to bond with it for your own internal growth.....

Usually these kinds of Shilas don't make their way towards anyone without a cause.... if it has reached you then obviously there is a reason..... and so far i think you have done pretty well..... the ultimate thing about these Saaligrams is that you do not disrespect it..... be a Hindhu or a Non-Hindhu or a non-believer..... And i hope that you don't do that..... Even by mistake with lack of knowledge about them if something happens, it won't matter much since the Saaligram has found you......