• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For all three Abrhamic religons

Absolute Zero

fon memories
How will the tempel of solomon be we built ? What do muslims think of this ? And if any what/how will the dome of the rock be moved ? How many christans belive the tempel should be rebuilt ? How does this fit into your holy scriptures if at all etc.

arthra

Baha'i
How will the tempel of solomon be we built ? What do muslims think of this ? And if any what/how will the dome of the rock be moved ? How many christans belive the tempel should be rebuilt ? How does this fit into your holy scriptures if at all etc.

Interesting question. Thanks for posting it.

In my belief the Temple is a symbol of the Manifestation of God...

as in the following sense:

"Consider how within a temple every race and people is seen and represented -- all in the presence of the Lord, covenanting together in a covenant of love and fellowship, all offering the same melody, prayer and supplication to God. Therefore, it is evident that the church is a collective center for mankind. For this reason there have been churches and temples in all the divine religions; but the real Collective Centers are the Manifestations of God, of Whom the church or temple is a symbol and expression. That is to say, the Manifestation of God is the real divine temple and Collective Center of which the outer church is but a symbol."

~ Abdu'l-Baha, The Promulgation of Universal Peace, p. 163

This is mentioned on a certain level in the Gospel of John:

2:18 Then answered the Jews and said unto him, What sign shewest thou unto us, seeing that thou doest these things? 2:19 Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.
2:20 Then said the Jews, Forty and six years was this temple in building, and wilt thou rear it up in three days? 2:21 But he spake of the temple of his body.

(King James Bible, John)

Paul in his epistle declares:

3:16 Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you? 3:17 If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.

(King James Bible, 1 Corinthians)

Also in the Mathnawi:

One day he observed that a tuft of coarse grass had sprung up in a corner of the temple, and he was greatly distressed because he thought it portended the ruin of the building, but he took comfort from the thought that while he himself lived the temple would not be allowed to fall into ruin; so long as he lived, at least, he would root up all evil weeds that threatened the safety of the temple, as well the temple built with hands as the spiritual temple in his heart.

(Mathnavi of Rumi (E.H. Whinfield tr), The Masnavi Vol 4)

If spiritual thought were equivalent to love of God,
Outward forms of temples and prayers would not exist.

(Mathnavi of Rumi (E.H. Whinfield tr), The Masnavi Vol 1)

InvestigateTruth

Yes, I think that was prophesized in the vision of John too:

Revelation 21:22 "And I saw no temple therein: for the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are the temple of it."

Levite

Higher and Higher

As far as I know, there is no universal agreement upon this in Judaism. Many different opinions are held, depending on community/movement and individual.

Since the vast majority of Jews do not believe a Third Temple will be built until the messiah comes, it's basically a moot point, and most of us don't spend much time thinking about it.

I can say that I personally believe that, since the Third Temple will be built in the messianic age, part of the nature of that era will be that the problems between Jews and Arabs and/or Jews and Muslims will be solved, and everyone will be able to live with one another, understand and respect one another, and at that time, we will be able to find a solution together. Perhaps it will involve Muslims voluntarily relocating the Dome of the Rock. Perhaps it will involve the Dome of the Rock being unbuilt, and in its place a new structure being built together by Jews and Muslims, since it does say in Isaiah "My house shall then be called a house of prayer for all nations." Or perhaps it will involve some other compromise or resolution that we simply cannot see yet. But it will be a messianic solution for a messianic age.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One

Jesus preached about the 'kingdom of the heavens'

So the kingdom will not be rebuilt on earth but will rule from heaven. That is our take on it.

John 18:36 Jesus answered: “My kingdom is no part of this world. If my kingdom were part of this world, my attendants would have fought that I should not be delivered up to the Jews. But, as it is, my kingdom is not from this source.”

Jesus preached about the 'kingdom of the heavens'

So the kingdom will not be rebuilt on earth but will rule from heaven. That is our take on it.

John 18:36 Jesus answered: “My kingdom is no part of this world. If my kingdom were part of this world, my attendants would have fought that I should not be delivered up to the Jews. But, as it is, my kingdom is not from this source.”

That is something I do not understand at all... waiting for something to be built in heaven,... ( my family believe the same things... )
G-d is love right... is love..
Where I sit, in every home there is division... In every religion there is division... (there is no division...) wrong ideas maybe, misunderstandings, no doubt but division of G-d... how's that workin for us....
Waiting for something.... I have been talking to dead people a long time now.. And now to living people who wait to be dead... change can come in a lifetime but you have a lifetime (last time I checked) that ends in death... I am alive, as are all of you, as well as G-d...change things... (talking about this, after death is where our reward is... I'm not waiting on death) My reward for the day, I have on clothes but do not own any... saying kind things to strangers and doing what I can to make a change or atleast spark any interest in it at all...

Jen

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I do not think it is high on the list of priorities for Christians.
There will need to be massive religious "confluence" for it even to become a possibility.

It is one of those things that will come in its own time, and when it comes, that time and the reason for it will be unmistakable.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
That is something I do not understand at all... waiting for something to be built in heaven,... ( my family believe the same things... )
G-d is love right... is love..
Where I sit, in every home there is division... In every religion there is division... (there is no division...) wrong ideas maybe, misunderstandings, no doubt but division of G-d... how's that workin for us....
Waiting for something.... I have been talking to dead people a long time now.. And now to living people who wait to be dead... change can come in a lifetime but you have a lifetime (last time I checked) that ends in death... I am alive, as are all of you, as well as G-d...change things... (talking about this, after death is where our reward is... I'm not waiting on death) My reward for the day, I have on clothes but do not own any... saying kind things to strangers and doing what I can to make a change or atleast spark any interest in it at all...

Jen
'
there is a reason why that heavenly kingdom is so important...it is what will unify all mankind.

Daniel 2:44. that scripture will tell you what is coming.

(Sorry about the delay... just read this I get lost here on the computer so... anyway...

Are we reading the same thing.... you are part of the kingdoms... we all are... part of running with one word.. it is just one word... and in that moment thinking you know everything so you begin setting up your limits.. or religions...

Does anyone know someone who might be able to help.... yeah but he just keeps saying things against all of us so no thanks..; i believe we have it.. thanks tho...

Jen

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
(Sorry about the delay... just read this I get lost here on the computer so... anyway...

Are we reading the same thing.... you are part of the kingdoms... we all are... part of running with one word.. it is just one word... and in that moment thinking you know everything so you begin setting up your limits.. or religions...

Does anyone know someone who might be able to help.... yeah but he just keeps saying things against all of us so no thanks..; i believe we have it.. thanks tho...

Jen

Have you never read the words of Jesus at John 17:14 "...they are no part of the world, just as I am no part of the world"

we may be living in this world under its existing kingdoms/rulerships...but that doesnt mean we have to give our allegiance to it. Many have chosen to give their allegiance to Gods kingdom instead.

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
As far as I know, there is no universal agreement upon this in Judaism. Many different opinions are held, depending on community/movement and individual.

Since the vast majority of Jews do not believe a Third Temple will be built until the messiah comes, it's basically a moot point, and most of us don't spend much time thinking about it.

I can say that I personally believe that, since the Third Temple will be built in the messianic age, part of the nature of that era will be that the problems between Jews and Arabs and/or Jews and Muslims will be solved, and everyone will be able to live with one another, understand and respect one another, and at that time, we will be able to find a solution together. Perhaps it will involve Muslims voluntarily relocating the Dome of the Rock. Perhaps it will involve the Dome of the Rock being unbuilt, and in its place a new structure being built together by Jews and Muslims, since it does say in Isaiah "My house shall then be called a house of prayer for all nations." Or perhaps it will involve some other compromise or resolution that we simply cannot see yet. But it will be a messianic solution for a messianic age.

What do you mean by "unbuilt"? Do you mean demolish and destroy?

Levite

Higher and Higher
What do you mean by "unbuilt"? Do you mean demolish and destroy?

I prefer to imagine that, if such a scenario were to come to pass, it would be voluntarily removed with care by the Muslim and Jewish communities together, and rebuilt elsewhere.

Last edited:

Amechania

Daimona of the Helpless
I prefer to imagine that, if such a scenario were to come to pass, it would be voluntarily removed with care by the Muslim and Jewish communities together, and rebuilt elsewhere.

I think that Muslims believe the Dome of the Rock to be one of the holiest sites in Islam, and that it belongs on the spot absolutely. I can't imagine anyone persuading them otherwise, or that they would ever reach this conclusion voluntarily. If the Third Temple stood on the Mount rather than the mosque, would Jews be amenable to a plan to move it?

Harmonious

I don't know if you are aware, but Caliph Abd al-Malik, who built the Dome of the Rock and made additions to Masjid al-Aqsa, initially built the Dome with several purposes in mind.

One of them was to save the Temple Mount from the predations of Christian relic seekers, who joyfully chipped away at the bedrock of the Mount to sell the rocks as relics.

One of them was to build something so beautiful that it would outshine the beauty of the Church of the Sepulchre. While the Church is built with Jerusalem stone and the building is left with the natural colors of the stone, the Dome of the Rock is painted with blues, greens, and black, and the gold dome is an eye-catcher from anywhere in the Old City of Jerusalem.

One of them was to acknowledge that this place was particularly important and holy, but also to display dominance over anyone else who would acknowledge the holiness of the spot.

The Dome of the Rock is not a proper Mosque, except in the strict colloquial sense. It was built for circumnabulation and contemplation, much like the Q'aab in Mecca.

(I did a lot of research on this when I was in college, and this is what I got from Muslim sources.)

If I had to guess... Should the Jews and Muslims in the area come to true peace, it occurs to me that the celebration of the holiness of the area would be the main focus. Therefore, I would also guess that if the Temple was rebuilt, several things would happen.

First: The beauty of the Temple would still outshine the Church of the Sepulchre.
Second: The relic seekers would still be out of commission.

But third, even when the Temple is standing, it would be a place acknowledged for its holiness, and shared - as anyone can bring offerings. Jews man the Temple, but anyone can bring offerings to God there.

Last edited:

Amechania

Daimona of the Helpless
Thanks for the info on the Dome, Harmonious. I was aware it wasn't a proper mosque, but had only guessed at the reasons for it's singular splendor. Was it not also erected to commemorate the Night Journey of the Prophet Muhammad? Could the Temple be built and the Dome remain in place?

Harmonious

Thanks for the info on the Dome, Harmonious. I was aware it wasn't a proper mosque, but had only guessed at the reasons for it's singular splendor.
My pleasure. :D

Was it not also erected to commemorate the Night Journey of the Prophet Muhammad?
Nope. That would be the Masjid al-Aqsa, or the Al-Aqsa Mosque, several hundred feet south of the Dome. It is a long, rectangular building with a silver dome.

The words "al-Aqsa" denote "distant". The dream was of a "distant mosque." (Jerusalem is rather far from Mecca, you see.) Hence, the Al-Aqsa Mosque, or Masjid al-Aqsa.

Could the Temple be built and the Dome remain in place?
No. They would be in the exact same place, so only one could stand.

Last edited: