• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For all three Abrhamic religons

Dingbat

Keep dreaming.

What is wrong with the idea of having a House of the Lord where anyone can worship regardless of denomination or sect? Surely God is not so petty and ignorant as to encourage the sectarianism that plagues our current world.

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What is wrong with the idea of having a House of the Lord where anyone can worship regardless of denomination or sect? Surely God is not so petty and ignorant as to encourage the sectarianism that plagues our current world.

I think you don't know what they want to do.

Why to demolish a building in order to build another? That's arrogant and stupid. They just have to get over it and build the temple in another spot. I don't think it's that hard to grasp.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
What really silly, is people seriously discussing a scenario in which a third temple will be built where the Dome of the Rock is (or at all).
Israel gave control of the compound to the Islamic waqf. As an Israeli Jew I'm currently denied access to the compound.
Personally, I think the Dome of the Rock is a beautiful historical structure. No one is going to demolish it or 'remove it'... just a reality check.
As for a third temple in general... stop with the speculations, just ask average Israelis. I'm one, and the thought of a third temple is absurd and is not discussed on serious platforms.

Flankerl

I think you don't know what they want to do.

Why to demolish a building in order to build another? That's arrogant and stupid. They just have to get over it and build the temple in another spot. I don't think it's that hard to grasp.

I think you are taking this "issue" a little bit too serious.

Levite

Higher and Higher
Yeah right! say that to Levite and Harmonious.

No, I actually also think it's being taken way too seriously. There is a reason why a Third Temple cannot and will not exist until and unless the messiah comes: there is absolutely no way that with the world in the state that it's in, we can seriously even begin to discuss the practical options for a structure that would represent unity amongst all the Jewish People and harmony between the Jewish People and all other peoples, to say nothing of harmony and clarity between people and God.

The messiah will not come until we bring about tikkun olam (the repair/healing/amending/correction of the world), and if we ever indeed achieve tikkun olam, it seems likely not to be any time soon-- and by that, I mean in the foreseeable future. I don't see it happening in our lifetimes, or our children's, or in the next several centuries, at minimum.

So considering how very far we are from living in that world, it is both pointless and ridiculous to bicker over how things might look or work or be discussed or settled or done when that time comes. That's one of the reasons I don't usually speak about the Third Temple unless (as in this case) responding to a direct question about it: as something belonging to the messianic age, it has zero pragmatic relevance to Jewish Life in the world now, save only as a symbol, a reminder to us of the tikkun olam towards which we need to be working. And any attempt to bring it into the "now" as anything other than that is inevitably doomed to create dissension and friction, which is probably why we are prohibited from trying to rebuild it until that time arrives.

seeking4truth

Where does the Temple on Mt. Gerizm fit into all this.

Was the promise made beore the tribes of Judah seperated from the Samritans?

Levite

Higher and Higher
Where does the Temple on Mt. Gerizm fit into all this.

Was the promise made beore the tribes of Judah seperated from the Samritans?

The Samaritans didn't separate from the tribes of Judah, they were mostly peoples imported to the area by the Assyrians, when the Assyrians conquered the Northern Kingdom of Israel in 722 BCE and exiled and scattered most of the ten tribes of the Northern Kingdom. Into their place the Assyrians brought people from Mesopotamia, and these absorbed into their midst a small number of remnants of the Northern tribes-- primarily Yisachar and Ephraim, if I recall right-- but the majority of their populace were foreign tribes, from Babylonia, from Kutah, from Avah, Chamat, and Sefarvayim. Once they were there, and following instruction by the local priests, they began to adopt the worship of YHVH; but they did so according to their own fashions and practices, which were always different from the practices of the Jewish People.

The Samaritan religion, though related to Judaism, is not Judaism; and their veneration of Mt. Gerizim, and their prophecies (whatever those might be) are not connected to Jewish messianism or the Jewish Temple on the Temple Mount.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
How will the tempel of solomon be we built ? What do muslims think of this ? And if any what/how will the dome of the rock be moved ? How many christans belive the tempel should be rebuilt ? How does this fit into your holy scriptures if at all etc.

the original temple built by Solomon was a representation of Gods rulership on earth... but the real seat of Gods power was always located in heaven. It was in heaven when he created the earth and mankind, and when he created the garden of Eden his throne was still in heaven, and when he spoke to Noah he was still in heaven & when he led Isreal out of Egypt he was still in heaven...and for a time, he ruled over Isreal from heaven without the presence of an earthly ruler.

However, through his prophets, God indicated that an earthly throne is not sufficient for his rulership:
“This is what Jehovah has said: ‘The heavens are my throne, and the earth is my footstool. Where, then, is the house that you people can build for me, and where, then, is the place as a resting place for me?’” Isa. 66:1

So why would he want to rebuild a temple on earth when tells us 'the heavens are my throne' ?

Therefore, the belief that God is going to rebuild the temple is nothing more then human thinking. God has a throne, it is in heaven...and that is where his rulership over mankind resides...it always has and always will.

Last edited:

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
I read somewhere about possibly dividing it into three partitions, on e Christian, one Muslim, one Jewish.

Problem is, which denomination would get the third?
I don't think so, someone is going to have to give the Temple area up

dantech

What really silly, is people seriously discussing a scenario in which a third temple will be built where the Dome of the Rock is (or at all).
Israel gave control of the compound to the Islamic waqf. As an Israeli Jew I'm currently denied access to the compound.
Personally, I think the Dome of the Rock is a beautiful historical structure. No one is going to demolish it or 'remove it'... just a reality check.
As for a third temple in general... stop with the speculations, just ask average Israelis. I'm one, and the thought of a third temple is absurd and is not discussed on serious platforms.

Do you mean that now it is absurd, but later it is possible? or do you mean that it is absurd forever... that a third temple will never exist if it requires demolishing the Dome of the Rock?

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Do you mean that now it is absurd, but later it is possible? or do you mean that it is absurd forever... that a third temple will never exist if it requires demolishing the Dome of the Rock?
It is absurd *forever*. And double absurd if a historical mosque has to be removed to make way for it.

dantech

It is absurd *forever*. And double absurd if a historical mosque has to be removed to make way for it.

That might be your belief and I respect it. But don't generalize it for "average Israelis" because I, and all my friends are too, and believe it is indeed possible, and that it will one day happen.

(Now the debate of who an average Israeli is will start)

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
That might be your belief and I respect it. But don't generalize it for "average Israelis" because I, and all my friends are too, and believe it is indeed possible, and that it will one day happen.

Thank you for making such a confession as an average Israeli so all people can see your evil inhuman plans.

dantech

Thank you for making such a confession as an average Israeli so all people can see your evil inhuman plans.

Right, wanting and hoping to have a temple built in which all the nations will finally know that your God, my God is the one and only God, and everyone will live in a time of agreement and world peace... now that's what I call evil...

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist

I guess all you need to do is look at Israeli policies and politics. The Israeli government left control of the compound where the Dome of the Rock and Al Aqsa are to the Islamic Waqf. The major Israeli parties are secular parties, and a third temple is no where on their agenda. Which sectors in the Israeli public do you believe support the construction of a third temple?
As an Israeli, no one ever taught me that we are going to build a third temple. Not in Israeli schools, not in my home, nor in any other Israeli social structure I was part of. I can guess that this might not be the case among the Haredi public, or other religious sectors, but these streams are far from being the mainstream Israeli public opinion.

What exactly do you consider to be evil?
Most orthodox Jewish scholars who do believe in a future third temple believe that such a temple can only be rebuilt after the messiah has arrived, in addition the process of constructing a third temple is meant to be a peaceful one.
While I personally would still object to the idea of a third temple. I don't see why it would bother you as a Muslim if a Jewish temple would be constructed in a different location from the two historic mosques. If anything you should understand as Muslims around the world have the Kaa'ba in Mecca.

Dingbat

What exactly do you consider to be evil?
Most orthodox Jewish scholars who do believe in a future third temple believe that such a temple can only be rebuilt after the messiah has arrived, in addition the process of constructing a third temple is meant to be a peaceful one.
While I personally would still object to the idea of a third temple. I don't see why it would bother you as a Muslim if a Jewish temple would be constructed in a different location from the two historic mosques. If anything you should understand as Muslims around the world have the Kaa'ba in Mecca.

I believe TashaN took dantech's position as that he was in favor of destroying the Dome of the Rock in order to build the Third Temple. I believe this is where the argument is stemming from.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Isn't it a Judaic area, historically?
An honest question: What, in your mind, would qualify it as "a Judaic Area, historically"? What percentage of the area would have to have been held? ... over what continuous period? ... how recently? ... held directly of as a suzerainty?

People (particularly those who claim to be bible-literate) really should reread Samuel and Kings and then seek to form something other than a comic caricature of what is unfortunately called "Biblical History."