• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Flat Earth, fact or fiction

allfoak

Alchemist
it is round because the shadow is larger than the moon thus the whole moon is in shadow.
Now because the moon is round, at least the side we can see from Earth, the shadow of the Earth is also round.

I was thinking the shadow would be a little thinner perhaps if it was of a flat earth?
What do i know about a flat earth anyway?
I have been fully indoctrinated true or false that the earth is round.

I have investigated this notion of a flat earth a bit to see what it is all about but for me to be convinced would mean a complete paradigm shift and i am not ready to go there yet.
Something like that changes everything.
It would call into question every single thing i have ever been taught.
If the earth is flat and we were all taught otherwise, then nothing we have ever been taught can be trusted.
I have gone down that path a bit but have always turned around, there is a very deep rabbit hole at the end.

rusra02

Premium Member
Fact or Fiction, did people ever believe the Earth was flat? Does the bible say it is?

Jesus said, "For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of a huge fish, so the Son of Man will be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth."

A belly is spherical and the heart lies at the center or core of something.

But a more metaphorical passage from Revelations describes the Angels standing at 4 corners of the Earth. But when someone says "Let the four winds blow" we get what it means.

Rev 7:1 After this I saw four angels standing at the four corners of the earth, holding back the four winds of the earth to prevent any wind from blowing on the land or on the sea or on any tree.

That's about it though, flat earth is not given much thought in the bible. So why do people claim it does? Ignorance? Bliss?
The Bible describes the earth as a circle or sphere at Isaiah 40:22, and correctly says the earth is suspended or supported upon nothing at Job 26:7.

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
I have one question that i would like answered concerning this subject.
When there is a lunar eclipse like there was last night, why is the shadow of the earth round?

Basically the Earth's shadow is round because it's a sphere - not flat. If Earth were flat then its shadow would be elliptical instead of perfectly round unless the Sun's light hits the flat Earth at an exact 180 degree angle relative to the Moon across space on every eclipse which it does not. The Earth always casts a round shadow no matter which angle the Sun's light strikes it. This was something Aristotle recognised. He also observed that there were constellations viewable in Cyprus & Egypt which couldn't be seen further north - this could only happen on a spherical Earth.

allfoak

Alchemist
Basically the Earth's shadow is round because it's a sphere - not flat. If Earth were flat then its shadow would be elliptical instead of perfectly round unless the Sun's light hits the flat Earth at an exact 180 degree angle relative to the Moon across space on every eclipse which it does not. The Earth always casts a round shadow no matter which angle the Sun's light strikes it. This was something Aristotle recognised. He also observed that there were constellations viewable in Cyprus & Egypt which couldn't be seen further north - this could only happen on a spherical Earth.
I am going to post something later in my journal about the implications of believing that the earth is flat.
Right now it is Gematria time!

Last edited:

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
The Bible describes the earth as a circle or sphere at Isaiah 40:22, and correctly says the earth is suspended or supported upon nothing at Job 26:7.
The Hebrew word used in Isa 40:22 is not sphere or ball, such as what's used in Isa 22:18, but the word for a flat round object like a coin or compass.
And it also isn't the word for supported but hanging, as in the Earth isn't hung. Which is equally true of the cosmology ancient Hebrews were actually shown to have, a flat Earth with a domed expanse resting on pillars:
Hebrew-Cosmology-1.jpg

rusra02

Premium Member
The Hebrew word chugh here translated “circle” may be rendered “sphere.” Only a spherical object appears as a circle from every angle. The picture you posted does not reflect what the Bible teaches, IMO.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
The Hebrew word chugh here translated “circle” may be rendered “sphere.” Only a spherical object appears as a circle from every angle. The picture you posted does not reflect what the Bible teaches, IMO.

No it doesn't.

The verse has the heavens like a curtained tent above the flat disk earth.

Jedster

Rev 7:1 After this I saw four angels standing at the four corners of the earth, holding back the four winds of the earth to prevent any wind from blowing on the land or on the sea or on any tree.

That's about it though, flat earth is not given much thought in the bible. So why do people claim it does? Ignorance? Bliss?

They obvioulsy meant we are this

bizarroworld.jpg

rusra02

Premium Member
Definition of from the four corners of the earth
  1. : from everywhere : from all over <People came from the four corners of the earth to see the sight.>
    (Merriam Webster)
    :rolleyes:

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Definition of from the four corners of the earth
  1. : from everywhere : from all over <People came from the four corners of the earth to see the sight.>
    (Merriam Webster)
    :rolleyes:
Do your base all your "understanding" of the Bible on current definitions of ancient words and phrases?

Cobol

Code Jockey
Can people in the 21st century really think the Earth is a flat disk, and not a sphere? When I see their claims I have to wonder if it’s an elaborate hoax, or their attempt to poke a hornet’s nest just to see how reality-based people react.