• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Flat Earth, fact or fiction

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Like anyone ever climbed the highest mountain in Israel and saw Rome, but they knew it was there. So your argument doesn't hold water.

Once again the heavens stretched out like a tent is a point of view.

Good grief! LOL!

No matter how you try to twist it, - they thought the earth was flat, - and you can't climb any mountain and see the whole earth from it, because it obviously isn't flat.

Catholic Encyclopedia -

"The creation story in the first chapter of Genesis is a perfect example. This story clearly depicts the primitive cosmology that was accepted by the Hebrews and the peoples surrounding them at that period of time.

This primitive view held that the earth was flat and supported by columns. Below the earth were the inferior waters and the abyss. Sheol, or the netherworld, was located in the depths of the earth. The sky covered the earth like an inverted bowl. It supported the celestial bodies and the superior waters, which were located above the sky and released in the form of rain and snow via floodgates."

Reflection on the Catholic Catechism: Sacred Scriptures - Year Of Faith - Homily - Catholic Online

Last edited:

Kemosloby

Premium Member
Good grief! LOL!

No matter how you try to twist it, - they thought the earth was flat, - and you can't climb any mountain and see the whole earth from it, because it obviously isn't flat.

You miss my point. You can't even see Rome from on top of that mountain. But they all knew Rome was there. So when Satan took him up on the mountain it was no proof they thought the world was flat. Otherwise maybe Jesus would have said "hey wait a minute Satan, where is Rome"??

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
You miss my point. You can't even see Rome from on top of that mountain. But they all knew Rome was there. So when Satan took him up on the mountain it was no proof they thought the world was flat. Otherwise maybe Jesus would have said "hey wait a minute Satan, where is Rome"??

You really need to study your scriptures which "most" of you folks claim are TRUE.

It specifically says -

Matthew 4:8 Again, the devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them;

IMPOSSIBLE!!! The writer obviously thought the earth was flat as the scriptures say it is.

Also go back to the last post. I added a quote (apparently while you were posting) from Catholic Encyclopedia - saying the Bible says the earth is flat.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
You really need to study your scriptures which "most" of you folks claim are TRUE.

It specifically says -

Matthew 4:8 Again, the devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them;

IMPOSSIBLE!!! The writer obviously thought the earth was flat as the scriptures say it is.

Also go back to the last post. I added a quote (apparently while you were posting) from Catholic Encyclopedia - saying the Bible says the earth is flat.

I'm not a Catholic. Perhaps the devil took him into a high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world by another means, in a vision perhaps. Because even in those days they would have known it was impossible physically.

dianaiad

Flat earth is so false that it makes me want to puke. In this age it seems we still have imbeciles of cosmic proportion. Even ape men knew the earth is a sphere.

Well. That's quite a claim.

Would you care to prove that 'even ape men knew the earth is a sphere?" I'd be interested in that set of evidence.

Of course, first you would have to identify who "ape men' are/were,
Then you would have to find some evidence that they knew that the earth was a sphere.

I'm looking forward to your evidence here. I have always been interested in archeology and anthropology, and such a discovery on your part (depending on who you identify as 'ape men') would be pretty amazing. It would, in fact, be a ground breaking discovery of, may I say it, Nobel science prize proportions.

Not, mind you, that I am a 'flat earther." Even though the Flat Earth Society long had their main organization in the town in which I live (before they changed nations, that is), I've never been a fan of that particular idea. Still, your claim intrigues me greatly.

dianaiad

The idea that the earth is flat is too stupid to even categorize it as fiction, it is the stuff of madmen.

I believe that the above may be a really good example of the logical fallacy called "appeal to ridicule." Not that I disagree that the idea of a flat earth is stupid, mind you, but then I have considerably better access to information and knowledge regarding the earth and the formation of the solar system, galaxy and even the universe than our earliest ancestors did.

It IS true that we've known that the earth was round since at least, perhaps, Pythagoras in the sixth century BC. Eratosthenes, evidently, even figured out how big the earth is, and perhaps even how far away the moon is, in 240 BC. So we have known that the earth was spherical for quite some time, true. However, that knowledge seems to have been one of those academic rarefied secrets, discovered and rediscovered by scientists and sailors over and over again. I don't think that understanding the spherical nature of the planet has been the litmus test of IQ for humankind.

Do you think, perhaps, that someday people will look back upon us and figure that since WE didn't know how to traverse black holes (or even that it could be done) that WE were terminally stupid? (OK, "black holes' might not be the measure, but I imagine that someone will discover SOMETHING that you and I don't know now, don't you think?)

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
I believe that the above may be a really good example of the logical fallacy called "appeal to ridicule." Not that I disagree that the idea of a flat earth is stupid, mind you, but then I have considerably better access to information and knowledge regarding the earth and the formation of the solar system, galaxy and even the universe than our earliest ancestors did.

It IS true that we've known that the earth was round since at least, perhaps, Pythagoras in the sixth century BC. Eratosthenes, evidently, even figured out how big the earth is, and perhaps even how far away the moon is, in 240 BC. So we have known that the earth was spherical for quite some time, true. However, that knowledge seems to have been one of those academic rarefied secrets, discovered and rediscovered by scientists and sailors over and over again. I don't think that understanding the spherical nature of the planet has been the litmus test of IQ for humankind.

Do you think, perhaps, that someday people will look back upon us and figure that since WE didn't know how to traverse black holes (or even that it could be done) that WE were terminally stupid? (OK, "black holes' might not be the measure, but I imagine that someone will discover SOMETHING that you and I don't know now, don't you think?)
I suspect you are over complicating it.

Sarcasm - Wikipedia

allfoak

Alchemist
Fact or Fiction, did people ever believe the Earth was flat? Does the bible say it is?

Jesus said, "For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of a huge fish, so the Son of Man will be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth."

A belly is spherical and the heart lies at the center or core of something.

But a more metaphorical passage from Revelations describes the Angels standing at 4 corners of the Earth. But when someone says "Let the four winds blow" we get what it means.

Rev 7:1 After this I saw four angels standing at the four corners of the earth, holding back the four winds of the earth to prevent any wind from blowing on the land or on the sea or on any tree.

That's about it though, flat earth is not given much thought in the bible. So why do people claim it does? Ignorance? Bliss?
I have one question that i would like answered concerning this subject.
When there is a lunar eclipse like there was last night, why is the shadow of the earth round?

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
I have one question that i would like answered concerning this subject.
When there is a lunar eclipse like there was last night, why is the shadow of the earth round?
it is round because the shadow is larger than the moon thus the whole moon is in shadow.
Now because the moon is round, at least the side we can see from Earth, the shadow of the Earth is also round.