• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Flat Earth Du-bunked

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I wish I could get a wide enough angle on my camera to capture this, but as I post this I’m sitting on a balcony overlooking the Gulf of Mexico.

The 30 foot railing in front of me is laser straight. If I line both ends up with the exact line of the horizon to where I can’t see the ocean on either end, I see the ocean rise toward the highest point in the center.

Ebionite

Having said that, we can all relate to this to some extent if you believe in anything supernatural. Obviously not the same IMO but nonetheless don't want to dismiss things just cause everyone thinks it's crazy.
That's the rational thing to do, anyway. As far as the flat earthers go you could ask them why people south of the equator can't see Polaris at night. If the earth was flat it should be above the horizon for everyone. Another one is why the moon doesn't appear to get smaller when it's on the horizon compared to when it's overhead as you would expect if it were relatively close like in the flat earth model. All I ever get from them on these questions is crickets.

HonestJoe

I'd normally not waste my time with this sort of thing. Someone I've befriended has fallen to this and it's been a while since I've bothered to entertain this sort of thing.
If your friend is just blindly following the kooks promoting flat earth theories then it is unlikely there is much you can do. There are standard evasions for all the simple counter-arguments and the complex ones require a certain level of technical understanding.

If they're promoting a particular model, you could have them explain how it accounts for the established patterns of seasons and different day lengths around the world. I'm not aware of any flat model capable of doing that.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
If your friend is just blindly following the kooks promoting flat earth theories then it is unlikely there is much you can do. There are standard evasions for all the simple counter-arguments and the complex ones require a certain level of technical understanding.

If they're promoting a particular model, you could have them explain how it accounts for the established patterns of seasons and different day lengths around the world. I'm not aware of any flat model capable of doing that.

I've noticed that very same thing.

Here is one model:

HonestJoe

Here is one model:
One that excludes time of day "to keep it simple" (i.e. "I can't make that work"). It also appears to be showing the phases of the moon but obviously has no reason for them to happen with the sun floating on the same plane.

As I said, there is no way for it to work (without calling out to "magic" or "supernatural"). The kooks are never going to convinced (or at least would never admit it in public) and the blinkered followers can probably just be dissuaded from taking too much notice and certainly from spending too much money on all of the books, films and other products much of this is really about.

Jedster

@Quiddity

A couple of weeks ago I was sitting drinking tea with a friend, when she suddenly said that she was having a hard time because many people are being horrible to her because she is "into flat earth".
I was really surprised considering I have known this person for years, care for her, and didn't want to alienate her.
So I responded "Oh, they are silly and actually I couldn't care less if the Earth is flat or not just like I have no interest in what football teams people support. These subjects just don't interest me".
She smiled and said , "well that's fair enough" and we continued having a nice 'tea time' . She left without getting the hump.

I have to say that I live in a place where there are several flat-Earthers and other nut-theorists and have learnt how to handle them(I hope..).

Anyway best of :)luck.

Quiddity

One that excludes time of day "to keep it simple" (i.e. "I can't make that work"). It also appears to be showing the phases of the moon but obviously has no reason for them to happen with the sun floating on the same plane.

As I said, there is no way for it to work (without calling out to "magic" or "supernatural"). The kooks are never going to convinced (or at least would never admit it in public) and the blinkered followers can probably just be dissuaded from taking too much notice and certainly from spending too much money on all of the books, films and other products much of this is really about.
Even though I agree with you; that is where they intend for this to go, it's not necessary. Not all flat-earthers are theistic.

Quiddity

@Quiddity

A couple of weeks ago I was sitting drinking tea with a friend, when she suddenly said that she was having a hard time because many people are being horrible to her because she is "into flat earth".
I was really surprised considering I have known this person for years, care for her, and didn't want to alienate her.
So I responded "Oh, they are silly and actually I couldn't care less if the Earth is flat or not just like I have no interest in what football teams people support. These subjects just don't interest me".
She smiled and said , "well that's fair enough" and we continued having a nice 'tea time' . She left without getting the hump.

I have to say that I live in a place where there are several flat-Earthers and other nut-theorists and have learnt how to handle them(I hope..).

Anyway best of :)luck.

I don't agree with this approach. Neither do I agree with ignoring them.

Either this issue matters or it doesn't. It either has implications in our lives, or it doesn't.

Even if you yourself don't particularly feel the implications; if it makes a dent in the cosmos....IT MATTERS.

People's ideas and beliefs don't stay in people's minds......they creep out and become a part of everyone's lives and get enacted into schools and become part of the legislation.

Jedster

I don't agree with this approach. Neither do I agree with ignoring them.

Either this issue matters or it doesn't. It either has implications in our lives, or it doesn't.

Even if you yourself don't particularly feel the implications; if it makes a dent in the cosmos....IT MATTERS.

People's ideas and beliefs don't stay in people's minds......they creep out and become a part of everyone's lives and get enacted into schools and become part of the legislation.

If I've understood your last paragraph, I am aware that such things can and do 'get into peoples heads' and could take over.
I just think there is a myriad of other things that envelop far more people than this.

In the few conversations I did have with flat Earthers, I found the circumlocution unbearable.
You probably have a stronger mental constitution than me.

If you choose to get involved, I wish you good luck.

Quiddity

If I've understood your last paragraph, I am aware that such things can and do 'get into peoples heads' and could take over.
I just think there is a myriad of other things that envelop far more people than this.

In the few conversations I did have with flat Earthers, I found the circumlocution unbearable.
You probably have a stronger mental constitution than me.

If you choose to get involved, I wish you good luck.

The taking over their mind is obvious. What I'm trying to explicate is that people are by their very nature dogmatic and that dogma always becomes more real at the very lowest level in tribes/clans and the highest through societies making thoughts into law.

Jedster

The taking over their mind is obvious. What I'm trying to explicate is that people are by their very nature dogmatic and that dogma always becomes more real at the very lowest level in tribes/clans and the highest through societies making thoughts into law.

Sounds to me that you are describing many religions which have beliefs ,that are just as crazy flat earth.

Quiddity

This felt very fitting for this topic.

You're welcome, now give me some toilet paper as money, please. :D