• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Flat Earth Du-bunked

exchemist

Veteran Member
I'd normally not waste my time with this sort of thing. Someone I've befriended has fallen to this and it's been a while since I've bothered to entertain this sort of thing.
OK I see. In your situation I think I might find it amusing to debunk it myself.

I think might start by going to Dover, getting them to look out to sea from the beach, and then do the same thing from the top of the cliffs. :D

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
OK I see. In your situation I think I might find it amusing to debunk it myself.

I think might start by going to Dover, getting them to look out to sea from the beach, and then do the same thing from the top of the cliffs. :D

If only…

This requires more detail. They engage constantly with this sort of thing if you bump into one in real life.

exchemist

Veteran Member
If only…

This requires more detail. They engage constantly with this sort of thing if you bump into one in real life.
If they do that and won't respond to the sort of explanation I've indicated, then they must be either idiots or deranged. Either way, you might need to find some more rewarding friends.:D

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I tried looking for a few sites, but mostly your friend's problem appears to be one of ideology. I'd want to know why she has clung to this belief, because usually people who believe these things are looking for something to do, honestly. Something to be passionate about. People who don't feel happy in life and left out, financially ill or such, tend to cling to conspiracies by way of deflection ('It's not my fault I'm unemployed, it's all the reptilians' fault'). No amount of facts tends to do good.

Quiddity

If they do that and won't respond to the sort of explanation I've indicated, then they must be either idiots or deranged. Either way, you might need to find some more rewarding friends.:D

lol.....perhaps I will.

They do have an answer I just didn't bother to dive into it at the time. Light diffraction, like when you are in the hot desert sun does that..........or something along those lines.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
lol.....perhaps I will.

They do have an answer I just didn't bother to dive into it at the time. Light diffraction, like when you are in the hot desert sun does that..........or something along those lines.

Plus, I've never had a marble roll off the edge of the Earth...just sayin'.

Quiddity

I tried looking for a few sites, but mostly your friend's problem appears to be one of ideology. I'd want to know why she has clung to this belief, because usually people who believe these things are looking for something to do, honestly. Something to be passionate about. People who don't feel happy in life and left out, financially ill or such, tend to cling to conspiracies by way of deflection ('It's not my fault I'm unemployed, it's all the reptilians' fault'). No amount of facts tends to do good.

Also, they have an inclination for entertaining most conspiracy theories and believing them. 911 didn't happen. Kennedy wasn't assissinated. It devolves pretty quickly.

Having said that, we can all relate to this to some extent if you believe in anything supernatural. Obviously not the same IMO but nonetheless don't want to dismiss things just cause everyone thinks it's crazy.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Also, they have an inclination for entertaining most conspiracy theories and believing them. 911 didn't happen. Kennedy wasn't assisted. It devolves pretty quickly.
My dad's pritty much the same.

Wish I could help.

Quiddity

My dad's pritty much the same.

Wish I could help.

Even among the ancient scholastics in many religious traditions, a level of healthy skepticism has always been there. You almost need it to push for further perspicuity. Constantly questioning one’s assumptions. Some people don’t posses such a thing.

exchemist

Veteran Member
lol.....perhaps I will.

Yeah but this is just p**sing about, to trap you into jumping through an ever-increasing number of silly hoops for their own amusement, justifying the obvious. I've been on science forums long enough to know there's a certain type of argumentative troll mentality that delights in this sort of thing: "let's make the scientists dance", basically. It's a game.

Quiddity

Yeah but this is just p**sing about, to trap you into jumping through an ever-increasing number of silly hoops for their own amusement, justifying the obvious. I've been on science forums long enough to know there's a certain type of argumentative troll mentality that delights in this sort of thing: "let's make the scientists dance", basically. It's a game.
No doubt. I have no intention of diving into trollville.

There is however the true believer in this and wholeheartedly believes it; we’ll see where this goes.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I'd normally not waste my time with this sort of thing. Someone I've befriended has fallen to this and it's been a while since I've bothered to entertain this sort of thing.

You can lead a horse to water but if you can figure out how to make them drink, you ought to be sainted.

IDK, as long as they are not a harm to themselves or others. :shrug:

Might be fun to challenge them for explanations though. Like if the earth is flat how come nobody has found the edge yet?