• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Flat earth believers

Grandliseur

This is true. The earth started out as a giant cosmic Frisbee flung out into the dark, cold deepness of the universe. This was done, I believe, by some drunken celestial Frat Boy during a keg party in another dimension.
Someone insulted me because I believe in a more or less spherical earth. I answered back with geometry and calculations of angles.

I prefer science to insults. This post was to learn who flat-earthers are. But, can you refute the claims they make? I have tried that in the link I have edited into the main post just a little while ago. Answers that rely on science would be nice.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Someone insulted me because I believe in a more or less spherical earth. I answered back with geometry and calculations of angles.

I prefer science to insults. This post was to learn who flat-earthers are. But, can you refute the claims they make? I have tried that in the link I have edited into the main post just a little while ago. Answers that rely on science would be nice.

Uhhh.....

Skwim

Veteran Member
Thank you for the video. I'll take my time to look at it and perhaps more than once.
Please look at the link I have edited in to the main post. It is of my making. In it I speak of the geometry of shadows, particularly the sunrise and sunset shadows. A sun hovering above a flat earth cannot make such shadows.

Do you have any geometric solution to this? Just curious.
You have quite a bit information there and I'm not exactly sure what you're referring to. Can you be more specific?
One thing I noticed right away is this

Map-Sun-Moon-flat-earth.jpeg

If the Earth is flat and the Sun and moon orbit as shown why wouldn't both always be visible? And always visible from everywhere on Earth?

Last edited:

BSM1

What? Me worry?
You have quite a bit information there and I'm not exactly sure what you're referring to. Can you be more specific?
Only thing I noticed right away is this

If the Earth is flat and the Sun and moon orbit as shown why wouldn't both always be visible? And always visible from everywhere on Earth?

Pbbbfft...everybody knows the Earth flips over at night. That's why it's dark.

Skwim

Veteran Member
If you are a flat-earther, what is your religion, non-religion, why do you believe this?

If you are not a flat-earther, but have facts about who believes this, please feel free to post. Just do not post false facts, or your opinion about who believes this.

(I couldn't find anything about who believes it on the net!)

I didn't post this for evidence for or against, but to find out who believe this.
Since this post is now soon expiring, I am submitting material I wrote that I feel prove that this flat-earth claim is against all science and logic.

Link: >Flat Earth counter evidence<
Here's something from a Christian flat-Earther source

36496890733_1f8185513e_b.jpg

NOTE: After thinking about this silliness I decide to include the actual video.

Last edited:

Grandliseur

One thing I noticed right away is this

The depiction of the image of a flat earth is to assist my evidence against it.
Your point you make here, is one I also make in my material somewhere. It is irrational in my opinion that one cannot see a hovering sun and or moon but can see the stars.

I am not a flat-earther, but I thought you might be with the video you provided?! I haven't yet looked at it, but I will study it. Put it in a folder to refer back to.

With my initial post, all I wanted was to determine who believes in this claim. I was not really trying to disprove it.

Grandliseur

Here's something from a Christian flat-Earther source

36496890733_1f8185513e_b.jpg

NOTE: After thinking about this silliness I decide to include the actual video.

Thank you for supporting the points I also made, though you got to it before I did in my material. I had a lot of geometry and what not in my file.

Skwim

Veteran Member
The depiction of the image of a flat earth is to assist my evidence against it.
Yes, I know.
Your point you make here, is one I also make in my material somewhere. It is irrational in my opinion that one cannot see a hovering sun and or moon but can see the stars.
Indeed.

I am not a flat-earther
Never thought you were.

but I thought you might be with the video you provided?! I haven't yet looked at it, but I will study it. Put it in a folder to refer back to.
I only provided it because I thought you were looking for Christian flat-earthers. My mistake I guess. In any case it's a real howl.

Grandliseur

Yes, I know.
Indeed.

Never thought you were.

I only provided it because I thought you were looking for Christian flat-earthers. My mistake I guess. In any case it's a real howl.

I am trying to find out who these people are who believe this stuff. The internet doesn't give a clue (to me) and it is a recent movement, it seems to me. All of a sudden it has become popular to side with this strange claim, and I wonder who these people are.

Happy you're having some fun. It is not often such an inquiry is lofted, I expect.

Grandliseur

I realize this cartoon isn't entirely appropriate here because we're not really discussing whether the earth is flat, but this seems to sum up the irony of flat earthers on the net:View attachment 18828
If I remember correctly from a discussion with a flat-earther, satellites do not exist and they are part of the cover up. And, there is no midnight sun in the Antarctic, the videos that show this is fake.

You cannot win in that kind of discussion when any thing, any evidence is rejected as made up, part of the conspiracy to what, I don't know.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
Kind of like people's stomachs, start out flat and end up sphere-ish taking decades and decades to get there.

Correct, the Earth is like a stomach. The Earth started out flat, as it fills up with dead people it swells to take on a spherical shape, much like a stomach. Then on the judgement day the Earth will "give up it's dead" much like a stomach will give up its contents from time to time.

Profound Realization

Although I'm not a flat earther, I personally have not witnessed any evidence that could not be explained by flat earth belief, same with much Scientific evidence, it all requires a great deal of faith in the scientists not trying willfully or incompetently to deceive us.

I'd have to agree. With my own eyes, I haven't seen the Earth's shape so anything I choose to believe would have to be by faith. Sound science, I trust. Human's, not so much.

If i designed my own rig to get a high enough aerial view, I'd likely be arrested swiftly. Why, I wouldn't know.

With no cognitive dissonance or bias, I've read a lot from both arguments regarding spherical and flat, and they both make some good points.

I must admit, it would be difficult to keep that secret/lie of a speherical earth.. but possible.
Governments and government organizations all have the same vested interests, and few humans have special access only. Certainly not the general public. I know that if I had the power and control and money, and were evil... I'd get a kick out creating all sorts of things that sound highly intelligent to con the
public. (Probably out of boredom.)

Profound Realization

If I remember correctly from a discussion with a flat-earther, satellites do not exist and they are part of the cover up. And, there is no midnight sun in the Antarctic, the videos that show this is fake.

You cannot win in that kind of discussion when any thing, any evidence is rejected as made up, part of the conspiracy to what, I don't know.

I think that they believe satellites exist, just not in outer space, more locally in the atmosphere and grounded, and that if satellites existed in outer space, all local satellites from homes/businesses would be directed straight upwards.

Profound Realization

Thank you for the video. I'll take my time to look at it and perhaps more than once.
Please look at the link I have edited in to the main post. It is of my making. In it I speak of the geometry of shadows, particularly the sunrise and sunset shadows. A sun hovering above a flat earth cannot make such shadows.

Do you have any geometric solution to this? Just curious.

There are some good videos of the recent solar eclipse and shadowing that would easily contradict a spherical earth, so it would seem. And videos from NASA itself explaining the solar eclipse with the Earth spinning the wrong way, to make it work. Or having to change speeds of the Earth/moon to make it work.

DavidFirth

I do not think it necessary to prove anything. If views of the Earth from space don't convince a person, nothing will.