• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Flat earth believers

Grandliseur

If you are a flat-earther, what is your religion, non-religion, why do you believe this?

If you are not a flat-earther, but have facts about who believes this, please feel free to post. Just do not post false facts, or your opinion about who believes this.

(I couldn't find anything about who believes it on the net!)

I didn't post this for evidence for or against, but to find out who believe this.
Since this post is now soon expiring, I am submitting material I wrote that I feel prove that this flat-earth claim is against all science and logic.

Link: >Flat Earth counter evidence<

Last edited:

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
Although I'm not a flat earther, I personally have not witnessed any evidence that could not be explained by flat earth belief, same with much Scientific evidence, it all requires a great deal of faith in the scientists not trying willfully or incompetently to deceive us.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
It started flat and evolved into a sphere. This took billions and billions of years.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I think it is a protest aimed at young earth creationists.

Although I'm not a flat earther, I personally have not witnessed any evidence that could not be explained by flat earth belief, same with much Scientific evidence, it all requires a great deal of faith in the scientists not trying willfully or incompetently to deceive us.
There is a story in ancient Greek history about a man who calculated the diameter of the Earth, and he realized it was round because of an effect of the Sun during the solstice. During solstice there is an hour in which shadows disappear as the Sun is directly overhead, however the man found out that at the same time of day in another place the shadow was long. From this he concluded the Earth was round and also calculated its diameter using the length of the shadow. His name was Eratosthenes.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
But isn't the whole point of science to eliminate the need for faith?
All the evidence is out there, published for anyone interested to see and examine. Scientists invite others to criticize their work and find flaws in it, and they modify their conclusions accordingly.
Getting around this system to perpetrate a fraud for any length of time would require a massive, co-ordinated, worldwide conspiracy of tens of thousands apparently unconnected individuals, all completely dedicated to preserving the fiction.

"Three can keep a secret -- if two of them are dead."
Benjamin Franklin.

Last edited:

Grandliseur

I personally have not witnessed any evidence that could not be explained by flat earth belief
I did not post this to get for or against evidence, but to see who believes in this. Since you say "I personally have not witnessed any evidence that could not be explained by flat earth" - I will let you have access to a file I created with what I think is evidence against it in a day or two so that people don't get the wrong idea of why I created this post. I hope I can fulfill this promise, i.e. find your post again to do so.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
My Granddad argued with me over the kitchen table about the earth as flat
He was adamant
insisted there was no means at all by which I might change his mind

now that his spirit has moved to higher ground (so to speak)
I bet he sure is surprised!

Thief

Rogue Theologian
for those who are not sure.....
consider a map with the north pole as center
and the south pole would need to be a circular boundary

flying all the way south lands you.....where?

BSM1

What? Me worry?
It started flat and evolved into a sphere. This took billions and billions of years.

This is true. The earth started out as a giant cosmic Frisbee flung out into the dark, cold deepness of the universe. This was done, I believe, by some drunken celestial Frat Boy during a keg party in another dimension.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
This is true. The earth started out as a giant cosmic Frisbee flung out into the dark, cold deepness of the universe. This was done, I believe, by some drunken celestial Frat Boy during a keg party in another dimension.

Yeah right, as if it didn't start out flat and square.

Laika

Premium Member
If you are a flat-earther, what is your religion, non-religion, why do you believe this?

If you are not a flat-earther, but have facts about who believes this, please feel free to post. Just do not post false facts, or your opinion about who believes this.

(I couldn't find anything about who believes it on the net!)

There was a thread done a while back about Christian Flat Earthers. It may be useful. :)

Christians still believe Earth is flat.

VioletVortex

I found a thread like this a while back for flat earthers to explain their views, but for some odd reason, it didn't show any posts, despite it alleging to have several.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I realize this cartoon isn't entirely appropriate here because we're not really discussing whether the earth is flat, but this seems to sum up the irony of flat earthers on the net:
tda_103_web.jpg

Grandliseur

I promised a link to a file I created for someone to prove that the flat-earth claim is against all logic and facts.

Here is the link: >Flat Earth counter evidence<

Grandliseur

My Granddad argued with me over the kitchen table about the earth as flat
He was adamant
insisted there was no means at all by which I might change his mind

now that his spirit has moved to higher ground (so to speak)
I bet he sure is surprised!
I just edited the main post and included a link to material of my making that I think disproves the flat-earth claim.

Grandliseur

I realize this cartoon isn't entirely appropriate here because we're not really discussing whether the earth is flat, but this seems to sum up the irony of flat earthers on the net:View attachment 18828
It sure is weird this recent movement into this claim.

I have just included a link of my own making that I think disproves the claim; however, I just wanted to know who these people are.

Grandliseur

Irrational!

Well just take a look at this!

Thank you for the video. I'll take my time to look at it and perhaps more than once.
Please look at the link I have edited in to the main post. It is of my making. In it I speak of the geometry of shadows, particularly the sunrise and sunset shadows. A sun hovering above a flat earth cannot make such shadows.

Do you have any geometric solution to this? Just curious.