• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fitting In

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I've realised over the season that I'm lonely, in a sense. Part of that comes from living in a rural area where I have no friends, but part of it comes from having to hide myself so much. Given that all of the family I live with are atheists who routinely mock and deride religion means that I can't tell them I'm a Noahide because it's not worth the indirect insults and mockery. If this were just the case I could deal with that, but it's not. Many people here are plain atheists with a rather bitter view of religion. All they want to do is argue with me and I've long given up on trying to have productive debates.

So, OK fine, most people here are atheists, why does that stop me being amis with them? Well, it doesn't, but it does lead to a huge sense of being the outsider. The still-having-no-one-to-talk-about-this-stuff-with. The jokes and the jabs and the bitterness. Religion can't and won't take a backseat in my life. Every time I cross a road safely I thank G-d. I'm not prepared not to talk about it or not have it open. I feel stifled and irritable, ignored.

I want to be a part of the Brit (...ha...ha ha...very funny :neutral:) culture! But no matter what I do, I'm always labelled the eccentric one or the odd one. I'm not happy with this. It's insulting, honestly. And it's not just religion; I have a very poor knowledge of popular culture because I haven't an interest in it, so I can't follow conversations most of the time. It feels like I'm being pushed out of my own society; I mean maybe they would say I left it, and maybe they're right. But where do I go?

It seems like I'm screaming inside.

Last edited:

David T

Premium Member
I've realised over this season that I'm lonely, in a sense. Part of that comes from living in a rural area where I have no friends, but part of it comes from having to hide myself so much. Given that all of the family I live with are atheists who routinely mock and deride religion means that I can't tell them I'm a Noahide because it's not worth the indirect insults and mockery. If this were just the case I could deal with that, but it's not. Many people here are plain atheists with a rather bitter view of religion. All they want to do is argue with me and I've long given up on trying to have productive debates.

So, OK fine, most people here are atheists, why does that stop me being amis with them? Well, it doesn't, but it does lead to a huge sense of being the outsider. The still-having-no-one-to-talk-about-this-stuff-with. The jokes and the jabs and the bitterness. Religion can't and won't take a backseat in my life. Every time I cross a road safely I thank G-d. I'm not prepared not to talk about it or not have it open. I feel stifled and irritable, ignored.

I want to be a part of the Brit (...ha...ha ha...very funny :neutral:) culture! But no matter what I do, I'm always labelled the eccentric one or the odd one. I'm not happy with this. It's insulting, honestly. And it's not just religion; I have a very poor knowledge of popular culture because I haven't an interest in it, so I can't follow conversations most of the time. It feels like I'm being pushed out of my own society; I mean maybe they would say I left it, and maybe they're right. But where do I go?

"I'm always labelled the eccentric one or the odd one"

In this part of the world (west coast united states) there lived an fellow from scotland originally that was considered "eccentric" his name was john muir.

the oddity of john is that today atheists quote him. His inspiration was john the baptist. So being "religious" has really much less to do with our ideas and much more to do with how we experience.

Religious sensibility is a major part of many musicians sensibilities. I would think that a bit less being traditional christian in some other drag (which atheism actually is) on might think of other ways to communicate ones religious tendencies that might help people connect.

Art is a rather amazing way of doing that. Picasso said art is fiction That speaks the truth.

Daemon Sophic

Sorry to hear this rival. It seems you are having difficulty socializing on multiple levels.

I’m suprised by the idea that you are surrounded by atheists, especially in a rural environment. OK, the family you live with (not your own?) might be antagonistic to your newfound religious convictions, but a whole rural community?

As for not being up-to-date on the latest social items. I can relate. Most every sports related conversation is lost on me, as they name names, and teams, and scores....and I’m wondering what sort of sporting event they’re all talking about. And when the topic is celebrities or fashion:rolleyes:o_O. Really? Why do humans concern themselves with such drivel?

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I've realised over this season that I'm lonely, in a sense. Part of that comes from living in a rural area where I have no friends, but part of it comes from having to hide myself so much. Given that all of the family I live with are atheists who routinely mock and deride religion means that I can't tell them I'm a Noahide because it's not worth the indirect insults and mockery. If this were just the case I could deal with that, but it's not. Many people here are plain atheists with a rather bitter view of religion. All they want to do is argue with me and I've long given up on trying to have productive debates.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
especially in a rural environment.
In the UK the rural areas are not like in the US; and according to stats around 70% of people in my age group are atheists, or irreligious, don't pray etc. no matter where they live.

Earthling

David Henson
I can relate. Before I was a believer, as a homosexual in a time and place where that would get the **** knocked out of you, hiding away not knowing there were many others out there hiding for the same reason. As a Bible Believer in the Bible Belt but surrounded by atheists who mock and scorn. Or phony Christians and their misrepresentation of what I find precious.

You've got over 10,000 posts under your belt and I always like reading your stuff, but I have no idea what a Noahide or Mondas is . . . maybe it's time you open up and share your experience.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I can relate. Before I was a believer, as a homosexual in a time and place where that would get the **** knocked out of you, hiding away not knowing there were many others out there hiding for the same reason. As a Bible Believer in the Bible Belt but surrounded by atheists who mock and scorn. Or phony Christians and their misrepresentation of what I find precious.

You've got over 10,000 posts under your belt and I always like reading your stuff, but I have no idea what a Noahide or Mondas is . . . maybe it's time you open up and share your experience.
I made a thread a while ago,

Noahidism

Mondas is a fictional planet from whence the Cybermen came.

I dont know how atheists think there mocking is justified. If anything, the theist mocking the atheist is more justified.

But, better yet, respect on both ends is prefered.

Earthling

David Henson
I made a thread a while ago,

Noahidism

Mondas is a fictional planet from whence the Cybermen came.

Your answers are somewhat brief, so curiosity peeked, I did a little research.

Cybermen - Mondas

Mondas, a twin planet of Earth, is the orignial homeworld of the Cybermen. It was dislodged from it's position when the Moon was formed. The Cybermen were able to eventually guide their planet and they took Mondas back to Earth where it was destroyed. (Mondas Link)

Cybermen

Mondasians, fearing the death of their species, started to modify and replace their body parts with cybernetics, which lead to the removal of their core emotions. They would attack and kill anything that they saw as a threat to their species. (Cybermen Link)

Noahidism

According to Jewish law Gentiles are not obligated to convert to Judaism to enter the final reward of the righteous or "World to Come" (Olam Ha-Ba), but they are required to observe the Seven Laws Of Noah. In practical terms, violating these laws is subject to the working legal system established by the society at large. Adherents of the Noahic Covenant are called B'nei Noach, (Hebrew בני נח "Children of Noah" or Noahides. (Seven Laws Of Noah Link)

That's some pretty cool stuff, Rival. Very interesting.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member

As far as RF goes, much of it is intended to be a place to debate religions. So some poorly implemented "debates" are to be expected. It goes with the territory. I'm very happy to see you back in the ranks of the moderators, but don't let it wear you down!

As for popular culture, who cares? As far as I can tell, there is no "there" there. It's mostly shallow and unhealthy.

We moved to a remote island about a year ago (an island close to @YmirGF 's island :) ). It's quite rural. I've been making an effort to just keep showing up to stuff, and I have to say I already feel a stronger sense of community here than I did in the more populated areas.

Cooky

Veteran Member
I dont know how atheists think there mocking is justified. If anything, the theist mocking the atheist is more justified.

But, better yet, respect on both ends is prefered.
I've realised over the season that I'm lonely, in a sense. Part of that comes from living in a rural area where I have no friends, but part of it comes from having to hide myself so much. Given that all of the family I live with are atheists who routinely mock and deride religion means that I can't tell them I'm a Noahide because it's not worth the indirect insults and mockery. If this were just the case I could deal with that, but it's not. Many people here are plain atheists with a rather bitter view of religion. All they want to do is argue with me and I've long given up on trying to have productive debates.

Atheists sometimes seem to think they are immune to proselytizing. They are not, and should accept responsibility in their either accidental or intentional tendencies to de-convert.

...We should all hold ourselves to the same standards.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
As far as RF goes, much of it is intended to be a place to debate religions. So some poorly implemented "debates" are to be expected. It goes with the territory. I'm very happy to see you back in the ranks of the moderators, but don't let it wear you down!

As for popular culture, who cares? As far as I can tell, there is no "there" there. It's mostly shallow and unhealthy.

We moved to a remote island about a year ago (an island close to @YmirGF 's island :) ). It's quite rural. I've been making an effort to just keep showing up to stuff, and I have to say I already feel a stronger sense of community here than I did in the more populated areas.
I agree completely. Being rural means you automatically watch out for your neighbors and those around you because you are stuck in the same situation when things get rough and you all get cut off from the outside world. Politics and old rivalries disappear pretty fast and simple human compassion and kindness kick in. It really is heartwarming.

As for dear @Rival
Oy vey. A complex situation that I don't quite know how to respond to. I know that, even if I wasn't terribly supportive of a person's religious choice, I wouldn't put them down for it because it is such a incredible personal decision (to be observant). Maybe I'm just an extremely secure atheist, as I don't tend to pee on religions too much, unless something in the news brings it to a head. That might elicit some general comments, usually in the form of biting but humorous one-liners but I wouldn't rubbish someone who happened by and extend the derision to them.

You know, @Rival I "hide" my political affiliations when talking to people in real life, until I know them a bit, because I am a lone wolf Neo-conservative in a hotbed of FAR LEFT WING thinkers... (And I mean falling off the edge of the world "Far Left" too.) LOL. There is virtually no point in me discussing politics with those around me as I am already intimately aware of their thinking and they simply assume if you do not think like them you must be insane. It can take a considerable amount of verbal dexterity to not ruffle their feathers. LOL. (Now that I'm thinking about this, it's a pretty similar scenario only following politics rather than religion.) The difference, I suppose, is that religion goes much deeper and also has the emotional component. I don't know what to advise @Rival but I sometimes feel like I'm a secret agent in enemy territory. (I mean this in a funny way, not a paranoid delusional way. LOL!)

My only saving grace would be if Rival is significantly more intelligent than those around her -- which I suspect might be a possibility.

Jumi

You can only be part of the mass if you aren't aware of the mass. Well, in these days of political parties, fandoms and sub-cultures, it's kind of hard to fit in with everything. You can pick a few if you want to fit in somewhere.

Vee

Premium Member

Oh dear do I feel your pain. I was reading your post thinking I could have written it myself.
Yes, it's tough not to follow the crowd. There was a time years ago when I tried but it made me feel like I was lying to everyone including myself. I stopped trying but when you don't fit in, you end up isolating yourself and loneliness can be very hard. I'm really sorry you're experiencing this.
Courage my friend:hugehug: