• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

First verses Book of Mormon/Bible comparisons

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
What is the purpose of the MESSIAH? With that you will find the answer.
Well, literally, it's to be anointed. Or are you talking more in the "Lamb of God who comes to take away the sins of the world" sense?

Either way, I don't see how any answer to the question necessarily includes the non-Gospel parts of the Bible and excludes the Book of Mormon.

Humanistheart

And for the fourth time, provide me with a Biblical error. You can then enlighten me or I you..

I already did. You simply ignored it.

Just one? Alright, Bats are listed as birds. They are in fact mammals, if you're not aware. Also, I'm sure mormons would claim that what's found in the BoM was inspired by god as well. Inspired doesn't mean much. Oh, and I did use the word inspired right in the post you responded to. Perhaps you can read more carefully next time.

Would you care for more examples? I should think not since you couldn't even be bothered to address the one already given, which you'd asked for. Still...

“All winged insects that walk upon all fours are detestable to you [Lev. 11:20-23].” In fact, no insect walks on all fours. Insects have six legs, three on each side.

According to Matthew 1:1-17 there were 42 generations from Abraham to Jesus, inclusive, but then lists only 41 generations: Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Judah and Tamar, Perez, Hezron, Aram (seven), Aminadab, Nahshon, Salmon, Boaz and Ruth, Obed, Jesse, King David and the woman from ("daughter of") Sheba (14), Solomon, Rehoboam, Abijah, Asaph, Jehoshaphat, Joram, Uzziah (21), Jotham, Ahaz, Hezekiah, Manasseh, Amos, Josiah, Jechoniah (28), Salathiel, Zerubbabel, Abiud, Eliakim, Azor, Zadok, Achim (35), Eliud, Eleazar, Matthan, Jacob, Joseph and Mary, Jesus (41).

When was the leper healed? (Matthew 8:13 & 8:14) Jesus healed the leper before visiting the house. (Mark 1:29-30 & 1:40-42) Jesus healed the leper after visiting Simon Peter’s house.

When did the fig tree die? (Matthew 21:9) The fig tree withered immediately. and the disciples registered surprise then and there. (Mark 11:12-14 & 20) The morning after Jesus cursed the fig tree, the disciples noticed it had withered and expressed astonishment.

I could list thousands, but again, since you couldn't be bothered to address the first error listed, on the first page of this thread, why would I expect you to address these or more?

Bottom line, if the bible is god's word than this god must be dumb as a box of rocks.

Last edited:

Humanistheart

What is the purpose of the MESSIAH? With that you will find the answer.

LN, I would not ask this question if I were you. Otherwise we'd have to go into the fact that, according to the bible you love so much, jesus did not fullfill one single messianic prophicy. He wasn't a messiah.

Humanistheart

Wait... are you saying that the whole purpose of the Messiah was to fulfill messianic prophecies?

If so, that seems to be a rather narrow view.

The purpose of the messiah is described in the prophicies, prophicies jesus did not fullfill. Perhaps the messiah, if ever one comes, can do more than just what's prophicied, it's true I hadn't considered that, but he has to at least do those things to have have the title messiah. At any rate, no prophicy concerning the messiah was ever linked to 'sin' or 'forgivness'.

LittleNipper

I already did. You simply ignored it.

Would you care for more examples? I should think not since you couldn't even be bothered to address the one already given, which you'd asked for. Still...

“All winged insects that walk upon all fours are detestable to you [Lev. 11:20-23].” In fact, no insect walks on all fours. Insects have six legs, three on each side.

According to Matthew 1:1-17 there were 42 generations from Abraham to Jesus, inclusive, but then lists only 41 generations: Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Judah and Tamar, Perez, Hezron, Aram (seven), Aminadab, Nahshon, Salmon, Boaz and Ruth, Obed, Jesse, King David and the woman from ("daughter of") Sheba (14), Solomon, Rehoboam, Abijah, Asaph, Jehoshaphat, Joram, Uzziah (21), Jotham, Ahaz, Hezekiah, Manasseh, Amos, Josiah, Jechoniah (28), Salathiel, Zerubbabel, Abiud, Eliakim, Azor, Zadok, Achim (35), Eliud, Eleazar, Matthan, Jacob, Joseph and Mary, Jesus (41).

When was the leper healed? (Matthew 8:13 & 8:14) Jesus healed the leper before visiting the house. (Mark 1:29-30 & 1:40-42) Jesus healed the leper after visiting Simon Peter’s house.

When did the fig tree die? (Matthew 21:9) The fig tree withered immediately. and the disciples registered surprise then and there. (Mark 11:12-14 & 20) The morning after Jesus cursed the fig tree, the disciples noticed it had withered and expressed astonishment.

I could list thousands, but again, since you couldn't be bothered to address the first error listed, on the first page of this thread, why would I expect you to address these or more?

Bottom line, if the bible is god's word than this god must be dumb as a box of rocks.

Insects do very often walk on 4 legs. The two front appendages are often used as humans might use their arms. The observation being, that while insects have 6 appendages, their application might be witnessed differently by more observant people.

You are making the mistake of not counting David twice... From Abraham to David is 14 generations. From David to the exile is fourteen generations.

There is a split of time between Matthew 1:29 and Matthew 30 --- different days. You are thinking like a Westerner and not as separate events.

AS for the fig tree, it withered immediately but some disciples saw it the following day.

Humanistheart

Insects do very often walk on 4 legs. The two front appendages are often used as humans might use their arms. The observation being, that while insects have 6 appendages, their application might be witnessed differently by more observant people..

Prove it.

You are making the mistake of not counting David twice... From Abraham to David is 14 generations. From David to the exile is fourteen generations..

You cannot count the same person twice in a lineage, unless david god his daughter pregnant or something. Are you claiming an incest case here?

There is a split of time between Matthew 1:29 and Matthew 30 --- different days. You are thinking like a Westerner and not as separate events. .

Reread my post LN, the second one should be Mark, not mathew again.

AS for the fig tree, it withered immediately but some disciples saw it the following day.

Wrong again. The passages address when it actually died, not specifically when people saw it.

And how about addressing the bat's as birds error?

LittleNipper

Prove it.

You cannot count the same person twice in a lineage, unless david god his daughter pregnant or something. Are you claiming an incest case here?

Reread my post LN, the second one should be Mark, not mathew again.

Wrong again. The passages address when it actually died, not specifically when people saw it.

And how about addressing the bat's as birds error?

If I were grouping animals together, I would consider a bat in the flying group. You are beating at the wind. The Bible sets it's own criterion for its spects. It doesn't care for what some modern man would come up with. You are clearly mixing apples and oranges. The Bible is scripture. The book of Mormon is being called scripture. Therefore, the book of Mormon needs to meet the Biblical standards.

The Bible doesn't have to meet man's contrivances.

I still don't understand what you're trying to say about the Matthew and Mark passages. They are about different conccerns and arranged differently to fit that logic. The fig tree died immediately and it took a day to wither. Jesus might even have killed more than one fig tree, though I do not feel there is even a need to even consider that.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
If I were grouping animals together, I would consider a bat in the flying group. You are beating at the wind.
Fine, but "the flying group" includes more than just birds.

The Bible sets it's own criterion for its spects. It doesn't care for what some modern man would come up with. You are clearly mixing apples and oranges. The Bible is scripture. The book of Mormon is being called scripture. Therefore, the book of Mormon needs to meet the Biblical standards.
Okay... what are those "Biblical standards"? Can you give us a run-down of the criteria we could use to see how, say, Genesis, the long ending of Mark, and Revelation meet them, but, say, the Gospel of Thomas and the books of the Book of Mormon don't?

LittleNipper

Fine, but "the flying group" includes more than just birds.

Okay... what are those "Biblical standards"? Can you give us a run-down of the criteria we could use to see how, say, Genesis, the long ending of Mark, and Revelation meet them, but, say, the Gospel of Thomas and the books of the Book of Mormon don't?

Leviticus 11:19) - "These, moreover, you shall detest among the birds; they are abhorrent, not to be eaten: the eagle and the vulture and the buzzard, 14and the kite and the falcon in its kind, 15every raven in its kind, 16 and the ostrich and the owl and the sea gull and the hawk in its kind, 17and the little owl and the cormorant and the great owl, 18and the white owl and the pelican and the carrion vulture, 19and the stork, the heron in its kinds, and the hoopoe, and the bat."
In verse 13 Moses tells us about the birds and then he lists them out. In verse 19 we see the bat is included in this list. We know that a bat is not a bird. Does this not mean that the Bible is incorrect?
The Bible is not meant to be a scientific description of modern biological categories. Instead, it is often written from the perspective of what we see. In other words, it makes generic categorizations. In this case, the bat is categorized as a bird because like birds, it flies and is similar in size to most birds. If we did not know that it was a mammal, it would be natural to call it a bird. To the Hebrew of ancient times, calling it a bird was perfectly logical. But, in modern times we categorize animal species more specifically, and have categorized the bat as a mammal and not a bird.
Also, we must be aware that it is modern science that has a different classification system than ancient times. To the ancients, creatures such as a bat were considered birds since they categorized all flying animals as birds. If that is the category that they used, then they were correct. It is not an error. It is a difference of categorization procedures. The critic has imposed upon the ancient text a modern system of categorization and then said that the Bible is wrong. This is a big error in thinking.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Leviticus 11:19) - "These, moreover, you shall detest among the birds; they are abhorrent, not to be eaten: the eagle and the vulture and the buzzard, 14and the kite and the falcon in its kind, 15every raven in its kind, 16 and the ostrich and the owl and the sea gull and the hawk in its kind, 17and the little owl and the cormorant and the great owl, 18and the white owl and the pelican and the carrion vulture, 19and the stork, the heron in its kinds, and the hoopoe, and the bat."
In verse 13 Moses tells us about the birds and then he lists them out. In verse 19 we see the bat is included in this list. We know that a bat is not a bird. Does this not mean that the Bible is incorrect?
The Bible is not meant to be a scientific description of modern biological categories. Instead, it is often written from the perspective of what we see. In other words, it makes generic categorizations. In this case, the bat is categorized as a bird because like birds, it flies and is similar in size to most birds. If we did not know that it was a mammal, it would be natural to call it a bird. To the Hebrew of ancient times, calling it a bird was perfectly logical. But, in modern times we categorize animal species more specifically, and have categorized the bat as a mammal and not a bird.
Also, we must be aware that it is modern science that has a different classification system than ancient times. To the ancients, creatures such as a bat were considered birds since they categorized all flying animals as birds. If that is the category that they used, then they were correct. It is not an error. It is a difference of categorization procedures. The critic has imposed upon the ancient text a modern system of categorization and then said that the Bible is wrong. This is a big error in thinking.
this is nothing more than a poor attempt at rationalizing an error in the Bible.

So is it correct to say that you do not believe the Bible to be inerrant and infallible?

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
Insects do very often walk on 4 legs. The two front appendages are often used as humans might use their arms. The observation being, that while insects have 6 appendages, their application might be witnessed differently by more observant people.
So, the praying mantis is detestable, but the cockroach is OK. Gotcha...

You are making the mistake of not counting David twice... From Abraham to David is 14 generations. From David to the exile is fourteen generations.
By what reasoning would you count David twice? Other than it makes the math add up?

There is a split of time between Matthew 1:29 and Matthew 30 --- different days. You are thinking like a Westerner and not as separate events.
Right. Can you show another example of this un-western thinking elsewhere in either Mark or Mathew?

Where do you see the distinction between the disciples?

And it came to pass that I slept in a hotel room.
And it came to pass that I heard anyone could take the Book of Mormon they found there.
And it came to pass that I took the Book of Mormon from my hotel room.
And it came to pass that I started reading it.

And it came to pass that I decided if I had to read the words "And it came to pass" one more time, I would throw myself in front of a large truck. :)