• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

First verses Book of Mormon/Bible comparisons

LittleNipper

So your attempts to delegitimize the BoM have more to do with your beliefs that the Bible is the 'end all, be all', than in actual facts about the BoM?

Are you surprised at all when your attacks on the BoM are turned against your own scripture? By the method you use to judge, so too will you be judged.
You need to turn your attention away from the BoM, and look instead at your own Bible. Read it, study it with the same skeptical eye you have used on the BoM.
You may surprise yourself....

Not at all. I believe that the book of Mormon is a very subtle attack agains the authority, inerrancy, and fulness of the Bible. I was not always a believer. I really did try to reject the Bible, but found it far superior to anything directed against it.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Not at all. I believe that the book of Mormon is a very subtle attack agains the authority, inerrancy, and fulness of the Bible. I was not always a believer. I really did try to reject the Bible, but found it far superior to anything directed against it.
Hmm. Personally, I'm sometimes inclined to see the Biblical inerrancy movement as a subtle attack on Christianity. IMO, It makes Christianity brittle, hollow and prone to shattering the first time someone comes along and points out that, say, bats aren't actually birds or that Sola Scriptura isn't actually a Sola Scriptura doctrine itself.

The Bible holds the truth ---- not people nor organizations...
So, this all comes down to a difference of opinion. Both you and them try to follow God's will as best as you can and as you perceive it.

And frankly, it seems odd to me when Christians place their emphasis the way you have. Wouldn't it be fairer to say that God holds the truth?

LittleNipper

Hmm. Personally, I'm sometimes inclined to see the Biblical inerrancy movement as a subtle attack on Christianity. IMO, It makes Christianity brittle, hollow and prone to shattering the first time someone comes along and points out that, say, bats aren't actually birds or that Sola Scriptura isn't actually a Sola Scriptura doctrine itself.

So, this all comes down to a difference of opinion. Both you and them try to follow God's will as best as you can and as you perceive it.

And frankly, it seems odd to me when Christians place their emphasis the way you have. Wouldn't it be fairer to say that God holds the truth?

The Bible is GOD's word. The fact that we know what we know about CHRIST, we can thank the Bible and no other book.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
The Bible is GOD's word. The fact that we know what we know about CHRIST, we can thank the Bible and no other book.
"The Book of Mormon is GOD's word. The fact that we know what we know about CHRIST, we can thank the Bible and the Book of Mormon."
Said the Mormon as sure of his gospel as LN is of his.:shrug:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
So... were there no Christians before the Synod of Hippo?

Mormons thank the Book of Mormon as well as the Bible for knowledge of Christ. Muslims thank the Quran. Catholics, Orthodox Christians, Anglicans and others thank Holy Tradition along with the Bible for knowledge of Christ. Quakers thank the Inner Light for knowledge of Christ and (generally) hold the Bible to be secondary to that.

There are a lot of ways to approach this issue; your certainty of opinion isn't really an argument against any other point of view.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
And the GOSPEL message as stated in the book of Mormon is what exactly?
Why would the Book of Mormon (or the Old Testament, or the Epistles, for that matter) have a "Gospel" message?

But if you mean "Gospel" in the literal "good news" sense, then there's plenty of the message of the Book of Mormon that sounds very pleasant and could be taken as "good news".

LittleNipper

Then, for the fourth time, why does god's word have so very very many errors?

The use of the word 'fact' here is agrregious.

And for the fourth time, provide me with a Biblical error. You can then enlighten me or I you.

Egregious to anyone who is unwilling to accept it.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
That is not the GOSPEL.
A Bible only Christian would agree with you.
A Mormon would disagree.
A Muslim would argue that the Bible has been corrupted.
A Jew would certainly disagree with there being anything 'Gospel' in the New Testament.

Each one would argue as vehemently as you that they have the correct perspective, yet each must rely on faith.