• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

First Day of the Week?

What is the first day of the week?

• Sunday

• Monday

Results are only viewable after voting.

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
But haven't the Jews kept the Sabbath as long as its been around, so wouldn't the day they keep today be the true Sabbath day ?.
The Sabbath is a religious observance, which no doubt is accurately kept track of. But whether or not the Sabbath is the seventh day depends on what calendar you're using. It's the seventh day insofar as the Hebrew calendar is concerned, but not necessarily for other calendars.

The point is that the phrase "seventh day" is in and of itself is meaningless. It depends on what exactly you're counting.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
The Sabbath is a religious observance, which no doubt is accurately kept track of. But whether or not the Sabbath is the seventh day depends on what calendar you're using. It's the seventh day insofar as the Hebrew calendar is concerned, but not necessarily for other calendars. You do realise that the Jewish Sabbath doesn't even begin until Friday evening by our calendar? So it raises the question of a day even is.

The phrase "seventh day" in and of itself is meaningless.
I certainly do realize the Sabbath starts on sunset Friday and ends sunset Saturday, I was Seventh Day Adventist for many years, is the Jewish Sabbath on any other day than Saturday, isn't their calendar the same as everyone else's calendar when the Sabbath starts and ends. The believe Christians are only making excuses because they have themselves painted in a corner that they cannot get out of, unless they confess the truth that the Sabbath is Saturday and not Sunday.

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
I certainly do realize the Sabbath starts on sunset Friday and ends sunset Saturday, I was Seventh Day Adventist for many years, is the Jewish Sabbath on any other day than Saturday, isn't their calendar the same as everyone else's calendar when the Sabbath starts and ends. The believe Christians are only making excuses because they have themselves painted in a corner that they cannot get out of, unless they confess the truth that the Sabbath is Saturday and not Sunday.
Christians don't observe the Sabbath. We observe the Lord's Day.

The corner is nothing more than the imaginings of a confused, misinformed fringe Protestant sect. Don't assume that other Christians carry the theological baggage of your heresy. (Which is mostly based on failed apocalyptic predictions).

Last edited:

lostwanderingsoul

And God said to remember the seventh day because He worked six days and rested on the seventh. Most Christians freely admit that they worship on the first day of the week.Isn't that deliberately ignoring what God said and substituting their own ideas. The main reason is that they want to be as different from the Jewish people as possible. But does that mean they can ignore God and make up their own ideas.

lostwanderingsoul

If listening to God and following His instructions makes for a misinformed sect, then maybe more people should be misinformed. Who do you trust, God or some religious figure sitting in Rome and giving instructions that are different from what God says.

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
The main reason is that they want to be as different from the Jewish people as possible. But does that mean they can ignore God and make up their own ideas.
Christianity isn't Judaism. Saint Paul is clear on this, observance of Jewish ritual has no salvific value. The Old Covenant was completed at the resurrection.

If listening to God and following His instructions makes for a misinformed sect, then maybe more people should be misinformed. Who do you trust, God or some religious figure sitting in Rome and giving instructions that are different from what God says.
I'll take the Magisterium and the successors of the Apostles (put there by God) over the rantings and failed doomsday predictions of nineteenth century break-away Baptists any day.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
Monday for me, too. It was made especially applicable when I started learning Russian: Monday is "Ponedelnik" which basically means "On the Week".

lostwanderingsoul

You know, in Nazi Germany, young children had propaganda pounded into their heads to the point that they thought Hitler was better than God. If someone said something bad about Hitler, they would turn them into the police. Even their own parents. Just shows the power of propaganda when you do not hear other ideas. Seems like many Catholic children have propaganda pounded into their heads so that they think the Pope is better than God. Just shows the power of propaganda and not hearing other ideas. I am afraid if God says remember the seventh day and the church says worship on the first day, I will choose God.

When you start living in space you can stop thinking about what day it is.

thats how limited your mind is? I understand you need to keep track for the sake of the fools around you
But i can in fact stop thinking about it now and have since i realized the truth.
I still dont like it but now I know why i dont. They invented days of the week and a work week to purposely play on your emotions.
the world is tired and sad on mondays because the elite wanted it that way

lostwanderingsoul

No one believes otherwise. If you go to almost any major church on Sunday and ask what day of the week it is, they will tell you it is the first day of the week. But if you tell them God said to remember the seventh day because He rested on the seventh day, they will have all kinds of excuses. You know, in Nazi Germany children were so brainwashed that they thought Hitler was better than God. If someone said something bad about Hitler they would report them to the police. Even their own parents. People today have been so brainwashed by the big churches that they think religious leaders like the Pope are more important than God. God says remember then seventh day and man says remember the first day so they remember the first day.

Tumah

Veteran Member
Jews will most likely say Sunday, as that is the end of their Sabbath. The calendars in the USA typically place Sunday as the first day of the week, but it is also considered the last day of the weekend. :confused:
Technically, Saturday night starts the first day of the week.

In Hebrew, Sunday is called, "First Day". It would be weird if the first day of the week took place on "Second Day".

siti

The biblical 'sabbath' is the seventh day of the week making the first day of the week whichever day follows that in the seven-day cycle. We are accustomed to assuming (if we bother to think about it all) that sunset Friday to sunset Saturday corresponds to the weekly sabbath as indicated in the Bible. That would make sunset Saturday to sunset Sunday the first day of the week. However, this convention depends on the Julian/Gregorian calendar custom of naming the days of the week by the 'sunrise convention'. But why would the Jews in Bible times have had that custom when their days explicitly started at sunset?

If we employ the 'sunset naming convention' we would find that the weekly sabbath actually corresponds to sunset Tuesday to sunset Wednesday in the sequence that has persisted from the early 4th century AD until now. That would make the beginning of the first day of the week sunset Wednesday. Given that we know that both systems (and also and 8 day week) were used in the Roman Empire before 4th century and the ancient Jews would IMO have been much more likely to use the 'sunset naming convention' rather than the 'sunrise naming convention', there seems to be a disconnect sometime between the 1st and 4th centuries so that it is impossible to say with certainty which day of our week corresponds to the Biblical sabbath. But if I had to pick based on what I understand of scripture and calendars, I would go for sunset Wednesday as the beginning of the first day of the biblical week. (Which rather makes a mockery of both Sunday Laws and modern Sabbath-keeping).

Not sure that this should matter too much to us - but I am thinking of telling the boss I have to leave early this afternoon to prepare for the Sabbath. :)

Last edited:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
International standard ISO 8601 gives Monday as the first day of the week. See yellow area on the map

Much of the mid east has Saturday as the first day. Green areas

Canada, United States, India, Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Macau, Israel, South Africa, most of Latin America use Sunday. Blue areas

l_41671_f095b9a681206cede7621796e19f516c

First Day of the Week in Different Countries

VioletVortex

Monday is obviously the first day of the week. The week is not a rope. It does not have "two ends". It has one weekend, consisting of Saturday and Sunday, and those two days represent the end of the week, hence the name. Monday is pretty clearly the first day of the week.

lostwanderingsoul

Every calendar I see shows has Sunday at the beginning of the week. Major churches that meet on Sunday will freely say that is the first day of the week.

siti

Monday is obviously the first day of the week. The week is not a rope. It does not have "two ends". It has one weekend, consisting of Saturday and Sunday, and those two days represent the end of the week, hence the name. Monday is pretty clearly the first day of the week.
But not next week. This weekend is a 'long weekend' so next Monday is part of the end of this week, so the first day of next week must be Tuesday - this week has 8 days and next week only 6. :p