• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

First Day of the Week?

What is the first day of the week?

• Sunday

• Monday

Results are only viewable after voting.

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.
What do you consider to be the first day of the week?

I say Monday.

Jews will most likely say Sunday, as that is the end of their Sabbath. The calendars in the USA typically place Sunday as the first day of the week, but it is also considered the last day of the weekend. :confused:

The International Standard for date and time (ISO 8601) places Monday as the first day of the week, since most people typically go to work or school Mon-Fri, and have Sat-Sun off.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I voted Sunday because that's the convention here.
But I also see Monday as the start...that's how my British
computer operating system (BOS V8 aka GSM) handles it.

Caution....
Avoid ancient British operating systems.

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.
I voted Sunday because that's the convention here.
But I also see Monday as the start...that's how my British
computer operating system (BOS V8 aka GSM) handles it.

Caution....
Avoid ancient British operating systems.

Make up your mind! :p

I can't vote one way or the other.
Sunday is the official first day on my Microsoft based calendars.
But Monday is the official first day on my GSM/BOS based calendar.
And Monday is the first work day, while Sunday is the end of the weekend.

OK, I just convinced myself that Monday is the first day.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
What do you consider to be the first day of the week?

I say Monday.

Jews will most likely say Sunday, as that is the end of their Sabbath. The calendars in the USA typically place Sunday as the first day of the week, but it is also considered the last day of the weekend. :confused:

The International Standard for date and time (ISO 8601) places Monday as the first day of the week, since most people typically go to work or school Mon-Fri, and have Sat-Sun off.

My US Job says its Saturday. My work week was changed a few years ago to start on Saturday and end on Friday.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
The last two employers I've worked for start the week on Monday, so given I have 16 years tenure between the two, I've adapted to this in every day life.

lostwanderingsoul

The Jewish people trace their calendar back thousands of years. They say Sunday is the first day of the week. All other calendars were started much more recently and are based on various beliefs of other people and other religions. I tend to think the oldest calendar is more correct, especially since God spoke to the Jewish people and told them when to start various days and seasons. Christians want to be as different form Jews as possible so they pick days that are different from what God told the Jews.

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.
The Jewish people trace their calendar back thousands of years. They say Sunday is the first day of the week. All other calendars were started much more recently and are based on various beliefs of other people and other religions. I tend to think the oldest calendar is more correct, especially since God spoke to the Jewish people and told them when to start various days and seasons. Christians want to be as different form Jews as possible so they pick days that are different from what God told the Jews.

It has nothing to do with God or how old a calendar is. As explained, in Judaism, Sunday is the first day of the week because it is the end of the Sabbath. If Christians wanted to be different, then why do US calendars (and most people) observe the Jewish tradition?

Last edited:

GoodbyeDave

Not according to the International Standard for Date and Time! ;)
You're confusing the ISO date system (as used in computing) with the ISO Week Date (often called industrial dateing, from its use in some packaging). In the former, today is 2017.01.09. In the latter, it's 2017W0201. In other words, the week date is an alternative calendar that doesn't use months.

Sunday is traditionally the first day, since the system started in Antiquity: obviously the list of planets started with the Sun. Hence Monday is segunda-feira in Portuguese and Deftéra in Greek. Admittedly the Russians say Vtornik "second one", but what do they know...

Liu

Monday is the standard here. I think all calendars I've seen which start the week on Sunday were foreign ones.

In my planner however I like to do weekly overviews starting on Sunday - so I'm forced to make them on Saturday evening or Sunday morning and have a buffer between the planning and the start of the work week.

Also, I recently looked a bit into astrological symbolism, regarding the 7 planets the weekdays are named after. In a traditional order I encountered, moon is the first, and Saturn the last (or the other way round, when starting at the other end). So even in that symbolism it's not exactly clear where to put the sun, to the beginning or to the end, it's the middle and can stand for either.

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
You do realise that the notion of a day as a unit of time is simply convention. There's no such thing per se as Sunday, Monday or mercredi. Also, the distinctiveness of seasons depends entirely on where you are on the earth. Where I live, winter and summer are almost meaningless terms. We have dry and wet.

The Jewish calendar no more "real" than the Gregorian or Chinese. It's pure convention.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
You do realise that the notion of a day as a unit of time is simply convention. There's no such thing per se as Sunday, Monday or mercredi. Also, the distinctiveness of seasons depends entirely on where you are on the earth. Where I live, winter and summer are almost meaningless terms. We have dry and wet.

The Jewish calendar no more "real" than the Gregorian or Chinese. It's pure convention.
But haven't the Jews kept the Sabbath as long as its been around, so wouldn't the day they keep today be the true Sabbath day ?.