• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Feminism and Online Atheism

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
Anybody else disillusioned by the apparent surging of anti-feminist and MRA types in online atheism and skepticism? Rape apologists, misogynists, transphobic, basically every trapping of 4chan and r/the_donald without the swastikas and Pepe's?

There's Thunderf00t, Dawkins, Michael "women should stop complaining about the wage gap because things are better than they were 60 years ago" Shermer, basically every public online atheist group I've ever been a part of for a little bit... I just feel like the amount of people who use SJW and feminist as snarl words has increased drastically over the last few years. It's definitely always been an element, but does anyone else notice the fedora-ification of online atheism as well?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I don't hang out in online atheist communities, but I've heard some pretty dark rumors. What do you think is driving it?

Kuzcotopia

If you can read this, you are as lucky as I am.
Anybody else disillusioned by the apparent surging of anti-feminist and MRA types in online atheism and skepticism? Rape apologists, misogynists, transphobic, basically every trapping of 4chan and r/the_donald without the swastikas and Pepe's?

There's Thunderf00t, Dawkins, Michael "women should stop complaining about the wage gap because things are better than they were 60 years ago" Shermer, basically every public online atheist group I've ever been a part of for a little bit... I just feel like the amount of people who use SJW and feminist as snarl words has increased drastically over the last few years. It's definitely always been an element, but does anyone else notice the fedora-ification of online atheism as well?

I think Neckbeards, Nice Guys, Redpillers, etc. are made up of certain kinds of personalities. . . and atheist communities are going to have their fair share of that particular brand of masculine insecurity just like any other community.

The new social divisions in the Trumpian area really do embolden these types. . . they see him as the p-grabbin' alpha male who married a hot model and gets to walk into dressing rooms at beauty pageants and see naked women whenever he wants. While I can't understand why that horror show inspires others, I'll bet that his presidency has emboldens mysogeny parallel to the way he's emboldened white supremacists.

But that's all just a guess. They only way to know for sure is to see some longitudinal polling, pre and post election. Did the actual proportion of atheist mysogenists increase online, or is it the same minority it always was. . . just more emboldened by "dear leader's" example? We'll never really know.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Tbh I've become dissillusioned to both sides. Though I don't really move in such online circles anymore. Both shout past each other and both sides have their rather toxic characters. I do miss Thundy's creationist videos though. They were kind of fun.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
I think the rules (which as far as I know are new, considering I saw Revoltingest's post about it just a couple of nights ago) are that this forum are for those who actively identify as feminists. I'll wait and see before making some responses.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
I think Neckbeards, Nice Guys, Redpillers, etc. are made up of certain kinds of personalities. . . and atheist communities are going to have their fair share of that particular brand of masculine insecurity just like any other community.

The new social divisions in the Trumpian area really do embolden these types. . . they see him as the p-grabbin' alpha male who married a hot model and gets to walk into dressing rooms at beauty pageants and see naked women whenever he wants. While I can't understand why that horror show inspires others, I'll bet that his presidency has emboldens mysogeny parallel to the way he's emboldened white supremacists.

But that's all just a guess. They only way to know for sure is to see some longitudinal polling, pre and post election. Did the actual proportion of atheist mysogenists increase online, or is it the same minority it always was. . . just more emboldened by "dear leader's" example? We'll never really know.

This reminds me of things like some libertarian circles' problem with massive over-representation by white cishet males. Probably different phenomena, but related. I wish I weren't so tired or I'd have something more constructive to say I guess.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
In any case, I've gotten to the point where I've left a few groups, pages, etc. One that I've kept around, paradoxically, because it's sooooo bad is a group on Facebook called The Atheist Republic. When I'm feeling especially like I want to lose faith in humanity's empathy I'll go through those comments whenever they post anything that touches on feminist issues.

I had always wondered about going to Skepticon -- knowing a few people that attend when it comes through -- but I'm not sure that I want to unless this strange rightward/anti-social justice movement dies down or otherwise gets sorted out.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
I don't hang out in online atheist communities, but I've heard some pretty dark rumors. What do you think is driving it?

Honestly, I think Kuzcotopia nailed it.

Kuzcotopia said:

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member

Atheism, gaming groups, now tech companies. Yes, I've noticed and it makes me furious.

Kapalika

Premium Member
I've watched most of the anti-feminists youtube channels at some point before. It's a scale. Youtubers like Sargon of Akkad are the worst when it comes to these kinds of people. On one end there is some legitimate criticism if some of the fringe elements of feminism and on the other it's a misrepresentation of the entire movement based on those few fringe. As a side note I'd say I've never noticed anything with Dawkins that was anti-feminist. As far as the wage gap goes I've seen so much back and forth on it there might be a point or not. It seems to hinge on how the data is determined which in of itself is a valid question but I honestly never bothered to figure it out.

I'd say basically most criticisms of Sarkeesian and internet personalities like Steve Shives are mostly true (honestly Shives is the worst I've ever seen) but that other than that it's really just grasping for straws. In the world of millions there are bound to be bad apples but that doesn't mean feminism as a whole is bad. As a side note, while Sarkessian might be a good scammer, the harassment campaigns against her were mostly inherently sexist. So I'm not defending or justifying that; criticism is different than harassment.

I think there are actually 2 or 3 distinct factions that don't really cross-associate in this mess and are often rivals. There are the 'skeptics' who went from debunking Christianity to getting into social issues and are more-so misinformed than overtly sexist, and there are the true misogynists like the Red Pill movement and then there is a spattering of MRA types who can fall anywhere on that spectrum with a very few perhaps being truly concerned with men's issues like suicide rates and paternity rights (but it seems to me those are more used as ammunition). A fourth faction is what I'd call "internet feminism" which is mostly internet personalities who just say stuff online often times outrageous or actually unfair things which fuel those 3 factions. Then also the 'skeptics' see the Red Pills as actual sexists and the Red Pills see some of them as (hilariously) SJW's.

As a side note, most of those 'skeptic' types are decidedly anti-Trump, just to point out a problem with what @Kuzcotopia said.

I used to watch The Amazing Atheist (now TJ Kirk) some and interestingly at one he point he actually started a fundraiser for women's rights and healthcare with some international women's organization I now forget, saying he wanted to do good work for "real feminism" but then apparently Sarkeesian started an opposing fundraiser and there was no proof or indication of where the money actually went. I posted about it over a year ago? when I still watched him. I'm bringing it up now to contrast the fact that it is a degree of scales and sometimes they themselves even move along them. No idea where he is now on it.

However I don't watch him anymore, last I heard he was hoping to focus on making fun of Trump and conservatives instead since they are now the ones 'in power'. Supposedly the 'skeptics' types were all going to gravitate towards that too, but considering internet and market trends I don't know how they will without loosing a sizable chunk of their demographics. Many of them do this for a living now or have for a good while.

It's basically true that Atheism+ is where the divide came from. But I do know 1 or 2 youtubers that do associate with people like The Amazing Atheist who say they just don't care for the topic and don't want to get involved. To me it almost seems like a rationalization to compartmentalize it but I can't be in their heads, but they do admit they don't like to talk about it or get involved. They seem to take everyone as individuals and don't generalize a lot.

They are about the only atheist youtubers I actually watch anymore except for Cosmic Skeptic who's really good and seems by all indications to not be anti-feminist at all. He focuses a lot on apologists and philosophical arguments. He's not actually touched social issues except where it concerns the direct involvement of religion.

I used to identify more with the atheism side of things but not really anymore. That's a bit also why I stopped watching most of those people but before that I stopped watching quite a few due to the anti-feminism. I could tolerate it when there was legitimize points about internet personalities or whatever, and often with say the Drunken Peasants (oh which TJ Kirk is in) they also made fun of right wing nutjobs and religious wackos a lot too. But for a while there it focused way too much on the left side, although with the Drunken Peasants they focused on the GOP more than others during the primaries leading up to Trump.

So uh, ya, I know it too well. It's insane. It's also why I stop watching anything that involves youtube personality drama. At a certain point I was like "wait... this isn't content... okay before when it was some form of video to video debate sure... but it's just... drama now". Plus, I couldn't really stand a lot of them anymore because I finally came to a point of being too feminist, basically. There might be some feminists or supposed feminists who did truly ****ty things but after exploring the "debate" I kinda decided where I stand on various things.

And that's basically where the entire internet is at this point. We are so divided even with people we might agree with on 95% of issues if we actually talked about it reasonably. It's like everyone feels marginalized and that's made everyone more incoherent.

That, or maybe this is the first time I've seen this kind of social struggle in my lifetime. I'm only in my mids 20's or something and I didn't live through other turbulent times. So maybe someone much older could pitch in their viewpoint. I'd love to see someone who lived through the civil rights movement offer their opinion on today's political climate.

Last edited:

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Too bad. Plus Fedora is a very nice Linux distro. And I like the hats. But now I can't wear one without looking like an idiot (maybe I did anyway).

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
*** MOD POST ***

A number of posts in this thread have been removed as per Rule 10. Any further disruption of this thread will result in formal Rule 10 infractions.

10. Debating in Non-debate Forums or Posting in DIR/ONLY Forums
Religious forums is structured to provide spaces for many different kinds of conversations. Different kinds of conversations belong in different areas of the forum:

3) The Political World forum has several "only" subforums that are for the use of members who identify with those political leanings. Members who do not identify with those political leanings are not allowed to post there.
Political ONLY forums are not the same thing as a DIR. When the site owner set up the opt-in system for DIRs, he did not set it up for the Political ONLY forums. The day-to-day staff team has no control over this, so please, use your brain when it comes to your participation in the political ONLY forums. Failure to use your own brain in this regard does not excuse you from being guilty of a Rule 10 violation in these areas of the forum.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

I've noticed it, although only within the past couple of years. It seems to run parallel with other issues within the same realm. I've read some of what they've written, and my sense is that a lot of them are younger guys who are confused about the world and are trying to figure things out. They were raised after the Civil Rights era and other movements which changed America, but many of them seem to feel as if they're unfairly put upon just because they might share the same race or gender with the oppressors in past eras.

They also appear to be recipients of mixed messages, although they seem to believe that "alpha males"/"bad boys" rule the roost, while the "beta males" are wimps. The spoils end up going to the most aggressive and most devious, while the more passive types have to take whatever scraps are thrown them. This is seen as an extension of natural law, where only the strong shall survive, and the weak and cowardly are consumed. I agree with feminists and others who see this as an example of "toxic masculinity," but whatever it is, I've noticed it over the years.

I seem to recall that there were sharp reactions against the idea of the "sensitive male" which was prevalent during the 70s. Since the era of Women's Liberation, men have apparently struggled to find a new identity and place for men within a more egalitarian paradigm. For a time, it was a thing for men to go on "male bonding" camping trips, where they sit around a campfire and play bongos or something. Men were getting kind of weird for a while.

And it seems to be getting even weirder. My sense is that a lot of these "manosphere" guys are a bunch of rebels without a cause. They don't seem to know what to do with themselves. They have no real guidance or leadership or role models to look up to - other than guys like Trump and other such male figures seen as "tough" or "macho." Many of them come across like characters from a bad teenage comedy.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I think it's important to avoid the appearance of lumping "anti-feminist" & "MRA" together.
The former is inherently in opposition. The latter might or might not be....we should allow
people who focus upon men's rights advocacy to do so, just as they should allow feminists
to focus upon advancing women's rights where needed. In short, there's room for both in
the world of progressives.
(And yes, I too am a progressive....I scored very high on the test.
Haven't received the certificate yet though. USPS is slow, eh.)

Note to some who might be surprised at my being here:
So far, my experiment (in another thread) with including "libertarian feminism" is looking positive.
I'm hoping for staff & member tolerance of this minority viewpoint.

Kapalika

Premium Member
I think it's important to avoid the appearance of lumping "anti-feminist" & "MRA" together.
The former is inherently in opposition. The latter might or might not be....

In my huge 1k word post earlier I distinguished the various groups I'm aware of. They may or may not overlap. However I've not really seen MRAs overlap with Feminism so much because MRA's have bleed over with the other not-feminist 'factions'.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
In my huge 1k word post earlier I distinguished the various groups I'm aware of. They may or may not overlap. However I've not really seen MRAs overlap with Feminism so much because MRA's have bleed over with the other not-feminist 'factions'.
I see more diversity in MRA.