• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Females & military drafts

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
Sorry Mr. Nietzsche but I'm going to be putting you on ignore.

Best wishes at the site!
NewChapter

Holy ****, the fact that you're putting @Nietzsche of all people on ignore shows that you're allergic to facts; especially in relation to history. The guy knows what he's talking about, you should really listen to what he has to say. If you're interested in actual knowledge, that is.

History Channel is authoritative enough for me...they actually consult historians and scholarly people for their projects. I trust them saying that China has a 200,000,000 man army.

The fact you consider the History Channel as authoritative on history says it all. Next you'll be insisting that MTV is a great music channel in spite of the fact MTV stopped doing music in the late 90s and started doing ****ty reality shows.

Draka

Wonder Woman
A country that did that would not be worth defending, IMO.
Honestly, mandatory service in a military just shows that the government believes it has ownership over the bodies of the people in their country. That any of them may be used as weapon fodder for whatever effort they desire. It shows a complete lack of caring about their people, that they are just an means to an end. That they would have to force people to fight for them only goes to show how little the people must want to defend their country, AND how little of their country is worth defending.

Most people in the world have not chosen where they live, they live there from mere circumstance. They may not like where they live at all but are stuck. To force them to fight and possibly die to further the desires of the ruling elite of that place, that they may totally disagree with, is slavery pure and simple.

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
So, a question all, should women be included in a military draft in your opinion? Why? or Why not?

I'm opposed to the idea of the draft; especially in a democracy where personal autonomy is valued. That said, if there has to be a draft then, yes, woman should be subject to it as well as men.

Jumi

That's interesting. My country has mandatory military service for all males. It's 6 months minimum armed service or you go to jail. An alternative is to do civil service where you either find a job you do for 13 months. Some women volunteer also for armed service, but it's not common.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
In the news.....
http://www.militarytimes.com/story/...rmy-marines-women-combat-jobs-draft/79695978/
The Army and Marine Corps' top uniformed leaders both backed making women register for the draft as all combat roles are opened to them in coming months, a sweeping social change that could complicate the military’s gender integration plans.
Good ole military leaders....always wanting more warm bodies to use to create more cold ones.
Civil liberties be damned....they're in the war business.

Draka

Wonder Woman
In the news.....
http://www.militarytimes.com/story/...rmy-marines-women-combat-jobs-draft/79695978/

Good ole military leaders....always wanting more warm bodies to use to create more cold ones.
Civil liberties be damned....they're in the war business.
The thing is, are they really concerned with the size of the draft pool or are they just saying this for the sake of "being fair"? Now, I don't think it's really the fair part as I personally think since they were pushed into opening certain roles that they are thinking if they push the idea of drafting women then maybe women will back down from wanting those roles. I for sure don't think they need the draft pool any larger. As I simply stated before, they could just open up registering for the draft to women and men on a volunteer basis. Give some incentive rather than punish with prison for not doing so when mandatory. College grant money or something. We'd have a draft pool, it would be all volunteer, and we help with education. But then...that makes some sense...they'd never do that.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
The thing is, are they really concerned with the size of the draft pool or are they just saying this for the sake of "being fair"? Now, I don't think it's really the fair part as I personally think since they were pushed into opening certain roles that they are thinking if they push the idea of drafting women then maybe women will back down from wanting those roles. I for sure don't think they need the draft pool any larger. As I simply stated before, they could just open up registering for the draft to women and men on a volunteer basis. Give some incentive rather than punish with prison for not doing so when mandatory. College grant money or something. We'd have a draft pool, it would be all volunteer, and we help with education. But then...that makes some sense...they'd never do that.
Why have a "volunteer draft pool"? Why not let people just enlist?

If you want to have a bunch of people who can be called up in time of war but aren't full-time soldiers, isn't that what the reserves are for?

Draka

Wonder Woman
Why have a "volunteer draft pool"? Why not let people just enlist?

If you want to have a bunch of people who can be called up in time of war but aren't full-time soldiers, isn't that what the reserves are for?
It is. If they are concerned about the size of the reserve force they could just increase enlistment for it. Of course that would actually mean paying them and training them. With a draft they don't worry about that, it's just a "what if" measure basically. We don't need a draft pool at all really. Shouldn't be one. I'm just saying if they want to have a pool, if they are set on having one (which apparently they are) it should be volunteer.